Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Flew with the family this week and we had all four seat in row 4 (back row). FA takes A side 1-3, then goes back to the front and takes D side 1-3, then back to my wife and I in 4A&B, then my kids in 4D&E(?). My wife was a little miffed, We got out choices because a few people didn’t have anything. Just a Plat now, but a full F fare, no upgrades or points.

Service was pretty weak the entire flight. No pre-boarding drink. They disappeared after the meal.
1K/GS meal priority still seems to work. Both TATL flights recently I was only asked what I wanted. Others around me were asked for 1st and 2nd choice.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cfischer
1K/GS meal priority still seems to work. Both TATL flights recently I was only asked what I wanted. Others around me were asked for 1st and 2nd choice.
Have noticed the same on domestic flights also. Some FAs still go around the cabin to take 1K/GS meal orders first.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Have noticed the same on domestic flights also. Some FAs still go around the cabin to take 1K/GS meal orders first.
Hasn't that been the case for years prior to Covid? I would call it restoration of pre-Covid process: GS->1K->other premum cabin pax.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Hasn't that been the case for years prior to Covid? I would call it restoration of pre-Covid process: GS->1K->other premum cabin pax.
To me it seems to be getting more common now, although as already noted it's not the prescribed method. Before covid I didn't find it was very often that the FA would bounce around for orders, and seemingly instead they'd go by the procedure Whyme described above.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Before covid I didn't find it was very often that the FA would bounce around for orders, and seemingly instead they'd go by the procedure Whyme described above.
It was not uncommon. You were more likely to see a pmCO crew bounce around the cabin.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yep, although I never really noticed any difference in how they did meal prioritization throughout. (the "meals" themselves, on the other hand...)

Some FAs take meal orders front to back and prioritize in the galley (and/or not bother to ask what my 2nd choice is), or they go around the cabin to 1K/GS first.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Why was she miffed? By being in row 4, the group would've been last for meal ordering regardless. And she gotten her first choice.

PMUA had priority for paid F, but that's no longer the case. Also, pre-departure beverage is not back yet officially.
But the FA took orders from the port side rows 1 to 3, and then starboard side 1 to 3, and then our row. Why didn’t she just take all the port side rows one through four. Or all of row one, all of row two, and so on.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I assume you mean pre-departure beverage? AFAIK, no US carrier is offering PDB.

QR is the only carrier I've flown during the pandemic that served PDB.
Dont get me started about the lack of the clubs being open.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was not uncommon. You were more likely to see a pmCO crew bounce around the cabin.
Yeah, it did happen, but at least to me it feels more common now. As always, YMMV, of course.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PushingTin
But the FA took orders from the port side rows 1 to 3, and then starboard side 1 to 3, and then our row. Why didn’t she just take all the port side rows one through four. Or all of row one, all of row two, and so on.
Perhaps that's how she rolls. Another reason why, if I can pick my seat and I want my pick of meal, I pick in the first two rows just in case.

David
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
Perhaps that's how she rolls. Another reason why, if I can pick my seat and I want my pick of meal, I pick in the first two rows just in case.
And eat before flying. Because odds are the food won't be very good at all, regardless of choice.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And eat before flying. Because odds are the food won't be very good at all, regardless of choice.
Perhaps. I'll take IAD as an example. What places are open right now are limited and mobbed and some close much earlier than pre-CV19 times. With the amount of time required to drop off a rental car after fueling, getting to the terminal, getting through security, either taking the train to a non-existent concourse and walking a mile backward and another half mile to the end of C or taking the moon buggy to D and walking to the end of D where there are no food options either - and no UCs, you plan to eat on-board.

David
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:40 am

Perhaps. I'll take IAD as an example. What places are open right now are limited and mobbed and some close much earlier than pre-CV19 times.
Agreed that airports are often not much better. I meant before going to the airport.

If possible, it's best not to rely on the airline to feed you these days. Been served absolute garbage in F on quite a few 5+ hour flights, across all three legacies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed that airports are often not much better. I meant before going to the airport.

If possible, it's best not to rely on the airline to feed you these days. Been served absolute garbage in F on quite a few 5+ hour flights, across all three legacies.
Having done that (getting food outside the airport) prior to arrival for travel at IAD, I ended up having to purchase said food at lunch and lugged it around my meetings the rest of the day to a) avoid leaving it in a 100+ degree rental car so that b) it was still viable some hours into the flight.

Business travel is not leisure - one's flexibility is limited, especially with the reduction of flights and other services - whether on-board, in the airport or even away from the airports themselves.

David
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:51 am

Business travel is not leisure - one's flexibility is limited, especially with the reduction of flights and other services - whether on-board, in the airport or even away from the airports themselves.
That's all fine, but the post that sparked this discussion ("flew with the family this week") was clearly leisure travel.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's all fine, but the post that sparked this discussion ("flew with the family this week") was clearly leisure travel.
Which, in this case, was more stressful than business travel.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.