Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wxguy
It's a very frequent practice.
Yes it is. They're supposed to go front to back and prioritize in the galley but some prefer to jump around (probably easier for them to prioritize this way). Used to be the CO legacy crews, but now it's just random experience.

Covered at length in this thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
It's a very frequent practice. While SOP is to go front to back, collecting first/second choices and then sorting by status when done, many long-time FAs do the hop-scotch. I encounter it about 50% of the time, especially on long-haul international flights. Usually once I'm comfortably seated in 9A on a 777 or 787, the purser will come over, thank me for being GS, and ask for my order before going to the rest of the cabin.
Ahh. This was an NZ codeshare so perhaps that explains it.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blufish312
Not following why codeshare would be related.

It's a legacy practice for FAs with United (Continental). It happens domestically and internationally. You may not always notice, as it's only really obvious when there are several GS/1K scattered through cabin. It's a random experience, as Kacee said above.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
That has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Not following why codeshare would be related.

It's a legacy practice for FAs with United (Continental). It happens domestically and internationally. You may not always notice, as it's only really obvious when there are several GS/1K scattered through cabin. It's a random experience, as Kacee said above.
Only that as I stated previously it hadn’t happened previously on 50 or so first cabin United domestic flights on various sized planes, so I was looking at what variable might be different.

Originally Posted by mduell
That has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Ok

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2023 at 2:21 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Orders were done correctly on both LAX-HND and HND-LAX flights even with a very green crew on the outbound. But not so good on Mrs. B's LAX-HND flight where they were basically given one choice. I don't care how many 1Ks you should still take 1st and 2nd choice. Unless of course you are just lazy.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I dislike being asked for a 2nd choice as a 1K. Fix your catering or get pre-orders actually working. Food is bad enough without “Here, have the leftover thing”.
Xyzzy and narvik like this.

Last edited by djmp; Apr 18, 2023 at 10:33 pm
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: *
Only that as I stated previously it hadn’t happened previously on 50 or so first cabin United domestic flights on various sized planes, so I was looking at what variable might be different.
Now that is very odd. The most different variable at this point seems to be yourself, as I doubt there are many other 1Ks who have done 50 consecutive flights in F/J without having experienced what you describe. Is there something unique about the routes you fly? Or maybe where you sit (like often in first row(s) such that you might have missed it happening)?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
did you remind her about 'meal priority'?
if happened again yesterday for me. Sitting in 4x and I told the FA that I had pre-ordered when they asked me what I wanted. Seemed like things were working as designed but when it was my turn to be served, he told me they were out of my meal choice. I said I had pre-ordered my meal and he said “I understand but we’re out of it”. I did remind him in this instance that I was GS and that I am supposed to get my first choice of a meal and he said again “I understand but we’re out of it”. He asked if I wanted the noodles instead and I declined and ended up not eating on the 4 hour flight. The guy sitting in front of me ordered and received the meal I had pre-ordered and I know he wasn’t a GS. I wrote in again and got the canned reply and 2500 MP miles
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by limey1K
if happened again yesterday for me. Sitting in 4x and I told the FA that I had pre-ordered when they asked me what I wanted. Seemed like things were working as designed but when it was my turn to be served, he told me they were out of my meal choice. I said I had pre-ordered my meal and he said “I understand but we’re out of it”. I did remind him in this instance that I was GS and that I am supposed to get my first choice of a meal and he said again “I understand but we’re out of it”. He asked if I wanted the noodles instead and I declined and ended up not eating on the 4 hour flight. The guy sitting in front of me ordered and received the meal I had pre-ordered and I know he wasn’t a GS. I wrote in again and got the canned reply and 2500 MP miles
Wow - what poor service and no service recovery attempted. Perhaps we need to start collecting FA's names who simply can't be bothered with following the prioritizing process.

David
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I’m just flabbergasted at this. Did you try escalating to the onboard purser? I would probably write back and tell UA their apology and 2500 miles are not at all a proper response to a major service issue and you want this escalated immediately.

We’ve been having issues over the past few months with service problems at Audi and UPS and found that an email directly to the CEO was the best way to unstick the problem and get things done. While emailing Kirby is probably useless since he’ll only be happy that you didn’t eat and that saved him $1.25 on an inflight meal, you could try reaching out to the VP Inflight and VP Product directly to see if that helps.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and limey1K like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
The part of this that really chaps my hide is that many of the others flying in the F cabin have no idea about UA's meal policy so when I start explaining that I am supposed to get my first choice, the looks start coming from the other passengers. The head shakes, eye rolls and general "check out this DYKWIA" looks I received during my polite discussion with the purser made me wish I'd never said anything.
SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
The part of this that really chaps my hide is that many of the others flying in the F cabin have no idea about UA's meal policy so when I start explaining that I am supposed to get my first choice, the looks start coming from the other passengers. The head shakes, eye rolls and general "check out this DYKWIA" looks I received during my polite discussion with the purser made me wish I'd never said anything.
I respectfully disagree. As a GS, you are by definition, a "who I am" because United has valued your business highly to give you that status. Unfortunately, the Purser's/FA's behavior was not only wrong but completely wrong.

If GS doesn't mean anything, then all of us are gonna get it too. Sadly.

David
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I've at least gotten $50 or $100 ETC immediately when that has happened.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
if happened again yesterday for me. Sitting in 4x and I told the FA that I had pre-ordered when they asked me what I wanted. Seemed like things were working as designed but when it was my turn to be served, he told me they were out of my meal choice...
I don't get this one at all.
Is there an inherent fault in United's system that somehow makes pre-ordering a meal LESS likely that one actually receives it?

I don't pre-order, but I've yet to NOT receive my first [or only] choice as a 1K for as long as I can remember...10+ years maybe.
....maybe I always order what no one else wants?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.