Wiki Posts
Search

DEN-NRT versus SFO-NRT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

DEN-NRT versus SFO-NRT

Is one route preferred over the other?

I'll be departing from the Midwest so either is a connection for me but 90 minutes to Denver on a regional jet compared to 4 hours to San Francisco seems like the better option in light of the next ~12 hour leg to Tokyo.

I will be be making frequent trips (booked in BusinessFirst) over the next couple years so I'm hoping those of you that have made this trip before can point out advantages to each departure city.

As an aside, DFW is an hour flight away so AA's service to NRT is a possibility if that makes any difference in your recommendations. Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
When the flight in Denver goes MX which happens often as it is the game changer plane, you have no other easy options. In SFO you do.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Is one route preferred over the other?

I'll be departing from the Midwest so either is a connection for me but 90 minutes to Denver on a regional jet compared to 4 hours to San Francisco seems like the better option in light of the next ~12 hour leg to Tokyo.

I will be be making frequent trips (booked in BusinessFirst) over the next couple years so I'm hoping those of you that have made this trip before can point out advantages to each departure city.

As an aside, DFW is an hour flight away so AA's service to NRT is a possibility if that makes any difference in your recommendations. Thanks.
UA flies a 747 from SFO-NRT and a 787 from DEN-NRT. The 747 upper deck is kind of neat; some think it's like flying on a private jet. The 787 in business isn't too bad. Obviously, DEN-NRT is longer; you might want to maximize the trip with the flat-bed by going that route.

AA is early along in executing a refresh of its 777 aircraft. The DFW-NRT aircraft is currently an old-style 777 with angled seats in business.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Do you have to book on an American carrier?
If you are buying BF trips for the same price you can pretty much get the ANA Staggered J as well because of the joint venture with UA on the routes.

Going into SFO you could also fly to HND instead of NRT.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:44 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
DEN-NRT is Dreamliner. Took it once. Great experience.

LAX-NRT also has a Dreamliner in service. Don't know from where you fly, but you may want to also look at LAX-NRT.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a restriction on booking foreign flagged carriers? If paying for J and having to make a connection with any choice, JAL would be my preference based on Y experiences.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Do you have to book on an American carrier?
Exactly. Why are you only considering US airlines?
NH, JL and especially SQ will be a far superior experience.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I am required to book with a US-flagged carrier so that limits my options.

I didn't even think about LAX but flying into Haneda is intriguing since my final destination is southwest of Tokyo.

Obviously, comfort is a concern on such a long flight but since I have a fairly rigid schedule to adhere to, SFO (or LAX) offering more options in case of weather or maintenance delays compared to Denver may be my best bet.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would fly ex-SFO for a window seat upper deck on the 744. The personal space is as good as BF gets on UA.

I also prefer the sUA seat cushioning, it's considerably softer than the sCO seat and I find it much easier to sleep on.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I fly both routes every few months or so, whichever is a cheaper, and I must say that the dreamliner is awesome to fly on.

Not sure if you get business class or not, but if you do, the Dreamliner as a more preferable seating as it's 2-2-2, the upper deck on the 747 is 2-3 and the rest is 2-4-2.

Either way it's not horrible, but I'd say go with the 787!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would fly ex-SFO for a window seat upper deck on the 744. The personal space is as good as BF gets on UA.

I also prefer the sUA seat cushioning, it's considerably softer than the sCO seat and I find it much easier to sleep on.
Another vote for exactly this. The upper deck is the best, window seat the best of the upper deck, and easy to sleep. Great pax:FA and pax:lav ratio. I really like the Dreamliner, but I do prefer the sUA J seat on the 747 to the sCO Dreamliner J seat.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:06 am

Yes, I am required to book with a US-flagged carrier so that limits my options.
Not sure if your travel department is bright enough to figure out code-share flights. If you can get to SJC, then SJC-NRT. The middle seat on the NH 787 is pretty sweet.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aeropower
the upper deck on the 747 is 2-3
No, it's not.

It's 2x2. And the window seat has latched bins between the seat and the window that (i) are big enough to hold a medium sized carry-on and (ii) can be used as a shelf/desk area. It's the best J seat in the UA fleet.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I will be be making frequent trips (booked in BusinessFirst) over the next couple years so .....
Well, I look at it as you have the ability to try different routes and aircraft which can be kind of fun to do (staying with lie flat).
There are pros and cons with all the airports and aircraft mentioned above and what is important to me might not be for you (nobody climbing over me and enough room for a 6'2" guy to stretch out without his feet getting cramped). But that is for other 747 and 787 threads.
But remember what was pointed out, code shares can be a good thing sometimes but they can have a few negatives too.
Hope you get to experiment a little and check out all the different ways to get to Japan (leaving there myself in just a couple hours).
Cheers
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If you have to fly a U.S. carrier, that leaves you UA, AA, and DL.

If you can get the new AA J seat, that's the best option.

DL is a bit of a mixed bag with several types of seats, but I it's still a better product that UA's BF.

Have you looked at DL via MSP or SEA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.