Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

why fly United to China, give me a reason!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I am about to book a personal trip to China in April, looked at the economy fare out of BNA, all three airlines(AA,DL,UA) offered the same price. I prefer UA because of their miles are slightly better than AA and much better than DL. However, when I check the luggage allowance, UA only offer one free check bag, 2nd costs $100. Both AA and DL offer two free checked bags ( I think DL used to offer one bag, but then changed to 2 bags now). Additionally, I have to pay for drinks on UA. Also the old 747 has no personally TV screen. AA and DL are much better UA on the sofe product. UA is not competitive at all.....

I cannot afford paid business class, so just talk about Y class, why people still fly UA to asia???
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Supposedly, UA is now restarting free Y drinks on TPACs.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cubachao
I prefer UA because of their miles are slightly better than AA and much better than DL.
That may be a bit outdated.

Over the past year, DL miles have improved in terms of costs and availability, while UA's have deteriorated.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Where are you flying into China, and what gateway are you leaving out of?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Did you play with the routing at all? You may be able to go through EWR on 772 to get away from the 744...

Re: baggage. Can't help you there..

Re: mileage. Just remember you'll be getting 5x (for GM?) PQM on UA/DL v. mileage flown for AA.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
I flew to China 8 times last year, all on United. Destinations were Shanghai, Beijing and Chengdu. In 16 flights there was only one serious delay. It was for 4 hours and United provided 8,500 in compensation, so I felt fine about that. My impression is that the flight attendants on these trips were almost uniformly polite, helpful and friendly. The food quality varies from edible (but not my favorite) to pretty good. E+ seats make a huge difference for me, so you might consider that factor. I don't drink much anyway, so the lack of free drinks doesn't bother me. In fact, I gave all my free drink chits away. I'm less than pleased about the upcoming changes to MP, but ime UA's TransPac service is fine.

Last edited by Folderholder; Jan 30, 2015 at 2:14 pm Reason: Change sentence
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:24 pm

Had good experience on UA to China twice last year, was able to upgrade to business, very nice lie flat, service. Went for EWR once and from IAD other time
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
United is better than most of the mainland Chinese airlines!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Not anymore. CA and MU fly new 777-300s that are better than anything UA flies. CZ flies the 380 or 787. All of these airlines are now better to fly than UA in business or economy. Economy plus is the only advantage UA has.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cubachao
Hi, I am about to book a personal trip to China in April, looked at the economy fare out of BNA, all three airlines(AA,DL,UA) offered the same price. I prefer UA because of their miles are slightly better than AA and much better than DL. However, when I check the luggage allowance, UA only offer one free check bag, 2nd costs $100. Both AA and DL offer two free checked bags ( I think DL used to offer one bag, but then changed to 2 bags now). Additionally, I have to pay for drinks on UA. Also the old 747 has no personally TV screen. AA and DL are much better UA on the sofe product. UA is not competitive at all.....

I cannot afford paid business class, so just talk about Y class, why people still fly UA to asia???
I don't check bags, even on TPACs, I don't drink alcohol, and I've got plenty of entertainment on my iPad and my laptop, and my combined battery power would last long enough to get me through the flight, and all my miles are on United, and UA offers a decent schedule and price, so why not?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
If you are flying in April - your ticket will earn pricex5 in miles - so if your ticket is $1000, you will earn only 5000 miles. Similar on DL.

You will learn many more miles by flying AA. United does not really care about the out-of-own-pocket economy longhaul flyer.

Originally Posted by amartin1979
lol... I hope this was a joke based on some sort of 2002 flying experience.
While Chinese airlines have improved in both Y and J - UA has gone downhill. Only advantage would be free E+.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lifetime miles. If you care about that.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
On personal dimes, UA has E+ and direct flights to China for me. I don't drink when it's not free and lack of TV doesn't really bother since it's better to sleep on long haul flights.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
U.S. trained pilots. That means something to me but I recognize some others don't feel the same.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:46 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by RealFan
U.S. trained pilots. That means something to me but I recognize some others don't feel the same.
Considering my last United pilot had an English accent....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.