Search

Refund Baggage Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX
Refund Baggage Fee?

Hi,

Recently flown a roundtrip on UA and I am also a MileagePlus Silver. I am entitled to a free checked bag each way and however I was still told to pay for the bag at each of the check-ins. How should I try to get the refund?

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lam19941994
Hi,

Recently flown a roundtrip on UA and I am also a MileagePlus Silver. I am entitled to a free checked bag each way and however I was still told to pay for the bag at each of the check-ins. How should I try to get the refund?

Thanks.
Did you check your bags in at a United counter, or was it with another airline? Was your MileagePlus number on the reservation?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Did you check your bags in at a United counter, or was it with another airline? Was your MileagePlus number on the reservation?
Checked at a United counter. And yes, MP number is on the reservation and interestingly only inbound miles was credited and outbound is still missing.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Something is definitely wrong if you checked in at UA counter and your MP# was on reservation. If your one bag was under 50 pounds, there should have been no charge instigated by the kiosks. A note to UA's customer service w/ MileagePlus number, confirmation number, and copy of your receipts ought to do it.

I asked about United counter because people checking in, for example, at Hawaiian for a UA codeshare flight operated by Hawaiian don't get UA's Premier bag fee waiver.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Something is definitely wrong if you checked in at UA counter and your MP# was on reservation. If your one bag was under 50 pounds, there should have been no charge instigated by the kiosks. A note to UA's customer service w/ MileagePlus number, confirmation number, and copy of your receipts ought to do it.

I asked about United counter because people checking in, for example, at Hawaiian for a UA codeshare flight operated by Hawaiian don't get UA's Premier bag fee waiver.
I sent an email but unfortunately i dont have the receipts so hopefully i will work out
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lam19941994
I sent an email but unfortunately i dont have the receipts so hopefully i will work out
If you don't get a satisfactory answer from UA, chargeback through your credit card. It shouldn't come to that though.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: MP Gold, Hertz President's Circle, PC Platinum Elite, Marriott Gold
I had a similar experience when I took a flight very shortly after reaching MP Silver status and then again 2 days after reaching MP Gold. It seems that the UA kioks at the airport take some time to synch up to the correct status.

It was a simple matter of asking one of the UA personnel in the area to do some jugglery on their computer and they printed out the bag tags for free. They did check the baggage allowance on the UA website using my MP number first, before agreeing to get it done.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact that you are missing partial credit suggests that there is some issue with your MP#.

1. Take a look at your e-ticket receipt (not confirmation, but actual receipt). In the various disclosures at the bottom, you will see your baggage allowance for the ticket in question. If that correctly shows your allowance, simply send an email request to UA, wait 5 business days and then initiate a chargeback for the bag fees (unles, of course, you see the credit). In the chargeback, be certain to note that the e-ticket receipt specifies an "X" bag allowance. If your CC issuer permits it, attach a PDF of the e-ticket receipt with an arrow pointing to the relevant section (nobody at an issuer is going to read through 3 pages of stuff that doesn't matter).

2. If your e-ticket receipt does not show the baggage allowance, you have a more serious problem and a chargeback is not going to solve the problem. Call UA and ask them what happened. This may take some time to be resolved.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
SNIP

Can I explore this a little more. I have an itin on 016 ticket stock but with the first leg on an LIH-HNL Hawaiian Airlines codeshare (UA flight number). The webpage for this itinerary contains the usual (customized) language:
First and second baggage service charges per traveler as listed below:

"Tues., Jun. XX, 2015 Lihue-Kauai, HI (LIH) to Sacramento, CA (SMF) 1st bag $0 2nd bag $0 Weight per bag 70.0 lbs (32 kgs)"

Are you saying Hawaiian will charge me a bag fee. If so, that will be an interesting discussion (if not with them, then with UA customer service when we are done).

Thanks in advance for any intel.

Lurker
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lurker
Are you saying Hawaiian will charge me a bag fee. If so, that will be an interesting discussion (if not with them, then with UA customer service when we are done). ....
yes

See discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ning-bags.html

Reading the fine print you will see the quoted numbers only apply if checking in with UA/UX.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Hawaiian is notorious for this. They collect baggage fees for every itinerary where they are the first flight, regardless of who issued the ticket or what status you have. UA customer service knows, and unfortunately can't help.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:42 am

Luis A Berrios

Hi, my name is Luis a berrios, and I flew back in oct 28,2019 with two more people in my reservation, I had a check bag, but I got charge for two,when it was only one, am a miliege plus member from United.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Luis Berrios
... I need to get a refund for the transition on oct 28,2019 i flew from Houston to Baltimore,i had just one chech in bag,but i got charge twice
Contact United Refunds @ www.united.com/refunds
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Maybe not the right thread but can anyone help with this question?
I booked domestic flights with United but was not able to pay for bags at that time, when I checked in I paid for two bags but the flight was cancelled due a mechanical problem. UA rebooked me onto AA but I had to pay AA to check my bags, I applied to UA for a refund for the baggage charge but this has been refused?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Maybe not the right thread but can anyone help with this question?
I booked domestic flights with United but was not able to pay for bags at that time, when I checked in I paid for two bags but the flight was cancelled due a mechanical problem. UA rebooked me onto AA but I had to pay AA to check my bags, I applied to UA for a refund for the baggage charge but this has been refused?
I think I'd just try again (with the link in above post), highlighting the details that you paid for bags with United, but that they did not ultimately fly you anywhere, and that you hand to handle checking them again on your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.