Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United reducing LAX/LHR non-stops {appears to be a few non-service days}?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United reducing LAX/LHR non-stops {appears to be a few non-service days}?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Thumbs down Is United reducing LAX/LHR non-stops {appears to be a few non-service days}?

Mods, apologies if already posted.

Slow start to the year. Starting to book trips. First INTL flight will be in April, LHR to LAX. Been flying the route since late 90s (I remember when we'd have four flights a day in the summer [933, 934, 935, and 936]). Anyway ...

I go to look for flights on United's web site and boom...no direct flights. Start trying other dates. Nope, no flights. Call the 1K desk and sure enough, no flights on certain days (April 8 for example).

Another change I'm going to like. So is it too late to switch to AA?

Spent over $15K last year (not a huge amount but reasonable spend), still made 1K on miles, and now they're cutting flights out of my hub. Ugh. I'm at 1.75 million BIS. Not sure it's worth it to make 2.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
LAX-LHR is there on 4/7, 4/9, 4/10, 4/11 and 4/15. It could probably be an IT glitch, or perhaps it just isn't running on 4/8.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Delta started LAX-LHR last year.

When DL starts something, it's not uncommon for UA to reduce frequency.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Lots of day-of-week transatlantic cuts in April this year, not just on the West Coast. European yields have been soft lately, so the solution is to cull operations on days of weaker demand.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Lots of day-of-week transatlantic cuts in April this year, not just on the West Coast. European yields have been soft lately, so the solution is to cull operations on days of weaker demand.
Don't they risk losing HV business travelers for good, especially at a competitive hub like LAX? Seems like a downward spiral solution.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like AA starts twice-a-day 777-300 last week of March, running six days a week. Maybe UA is reacting to that.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like AA starts twice-a-day 777-300 last week of March, running six days a week. Maybe UA is reacting to that.
Hmmm . . . if you're a paid business class flyer, which would you pick: 2-4-2 or 1-2-1?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hmmm . . . if you're a paid business class flyer, which would you pick: 2-4-2 or 1-2-1?
well, clearly many do pick the 2-4-2.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALMSP
well, clearly many do pick the 2-4-2.
If enough did, they wouldn't be cutting back service.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't they risk losing HV business travelers for good, especially at a competitive hub like LAX? Seems like a downward spiral solution.
Yes, and the UA retreat from LAX continues. Particularly when a direct competitor (here two) directly serves the market, they will quickly loose the high value traffic. Exec has to go to LHR, UA wants to send him with a connection, DL/AA (and BA VS) go direct, his secretary books another airline. Exec gets on the plane and says "oh boy, this is so much better than United" United has lost another HVFer...

Originally Posted by tom911
Cause, effect... As a very wise English Sage once said "run away, run away fast"

Originally Posted by channa
If enough did, they wouldn't be cutting back service.
+1
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
Yes, and the UA retreat from LAX continues. Particularly when a direct competitor (here two) directly serves the market, they will quickly loose the high value traffic. Exec has to go to LHR, UA wants to send him with a connection, DL/AA (and BA VS) go direct, his secretary books another airline. Exec gets on the plane and says "oh boy, this is so much better than United" United has lost another HVFer...
A couple points to add:

1. NZ also flies LAX-LHR nonstop.

2. The A-ha moment happens before the Exec gets on the plane. When he steps into the lounge, that's when he'll say, "oh boy, this is so much better than United."
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Poor LAX.

That's all I'll say.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by channa

1. NZ also flies LAX-LHR nonstop.
And, in my opinion, NZ has a far superior product at a competitive price. I abandoned UA in favor of NZ several years ago and have enjoyed every minute of it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Hope it's not true. I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye as you cannot half use a LHR slot. You use it or lose it. So either they've sold the slot, re-allocated it or the reduction is only on one day.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Hope it's not true. I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye as you cannot half use a LHR slot. You use it or lose it. So either they've sold the slot, re-allocated it or the reduction is only on one day.
Can't they run it as LAX some days and EWR on others?

757s are great for holding onto slots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.