FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "*A Lounge Options at NRT" Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1649271-consolidated-lounge-options-nrt-thread.html)

UAL250 Mar 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Flying IAD-NRT-HKG and have a 3 hour layover, so will have plenty of time in the ANA lounge. How does one book a shower? I will definitely want one after the 13 hour flight from DC. Do I just ask the front desk agents in the lounge? Thanks in advance.

br2k Mar 21, 2018 6:50 pm

No need to book a shower. At entrance time, tell agents that you want to use a shower, and they will direct you to the corridor behind you to the right. Walk in, leave your BP with a shower attendant, get a key and shower away.
One thing I don't like about those showers (and NRT in general) is that (due to energy saving program, afaik) they have relatively weak AC, and inside shower cabins there is simply none. They do have portable fans in each shower room, but that's not really helpful when it's already hot and hot shower was running. On the positive side, because of that people usually don't spend too long in there, so I've never encountered a line.

Exleftseat Mar 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250 (Post 29552625)
Flying IAD-NRT-HKG and have a 3 hour layover, so will have plenty of time in the ANA lounge. How does one book a shower? I will definitely want one after the 13 hour flight from DC. Do I just ask the front desk agents in the lounge? Thanks in advance.

No need ( and not possible ) to book. Just check into the lounge, make a right turn and sign in for the shower. If there is a waiting time it's usually short and they will give you a beeper that will alert you when a shower is available. Have fun.

24left Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Just a fyi for showers in the ANA @ NRT ....I and colleagues have actually had to wait a few times and thus the little pager is useful. As for the lack of air conditioning in the shower rooms, it's not too bad if - as posted - one is not in there forever and the little fan helps. If it's one of those insanely hot and humid summer days......not much helps other than getting in and out of there quickly.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9cc37c85f3.png

UAL250 Mar 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks so much for the help!

24left Mar 21, 2018 9:14 pm

I am back and forth, mostly NRT, sometimes HND so I've figured out how to make my second home cozy. :D

There are a couple of posts with photos I took, including the amusing beer machine

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-...unges-nrt.html

bocastephen Mar 21, 2018 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 29552714)
Just a fyi for showers in the ANA @ NRT ....I and colleagues have actually had to wait a few times and thus the little pager is useful. As for the lack of air conditioning in the shower rooms, it's not too bad if - as posted - one is not in there forever and the little fan helps. If it's one of those insanely hot and humid summer days......not much helps other than getting in and out of there quickly.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9cc37c85f3.png

Those fans must be new - I've asked for fans now for 6+ years of taking showers in the ANA lounge and walking out covered in sweat and needing a new shower, and recently gave up and started cleaning up as much as possible in the lav before landing and just waiting until I get to my hotel. Contrast this with the special "cold room" (available upon request) at the SFO Arrivals Lounge where I could get the air conditioning cranked down to what felt like 65F - just perfect - I walked out of there dry as a bone with a little shiver as a bonus. I remember the UA lounge at NRT had a large portable floor fan that helped, although I remember the UA shower room being warmer than ANA's. I know keeping it warm is a "Japanese thing", but it would be great if a customer could request their shower room temperature adjusted for comfort.

catocony Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

There are fans in the showers at the both the United Club and the ANA lounge in Sat 5. At the ANA club, all of the liquid amenities - soap, shampoo, toothpaste - are in tear-open packets, not small tubes/bottles. Just an FYI so you don't try and wash your hair with toothpaste.

24left Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 29556325)
There are fans in the showers at the both the United Club and the ANA lounge in Sat 5. At the ANA club, all of the liquid amenities - soap, shampoo, toothpaste - are in tear-open packets, not small tubes/bottles. Just an FYI so you don't try and wash your hair with toothpaste.

Indeed. I should have posted this photo along with the one above. Amenities are supplied along with towels, in this basket. Classy.

(certainly beats the shower amenities offered in the UA GF lounge at HKG)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1765062646.png

catocony Mar 22, 2018 6:56 pm

I thought that overall, the ANA shower rooms were a bit cooler than the UA ones. Neither are as bad as the old Red Carpet Club in Sao Paulo where there wasn't just a lack of any ventilation and fans, but with a large rack for heating towels. Those things were close to being a steam sauna before you ever turned on the water.

The toilets in the ANA shower rooms are the usual Japanese horror-tech thrones. I simply do not understand why dropping a deuce has to be a complicated affair, but the Japanese sure know how to make it so.

Kacee Mar 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Just an FYI so you don't try and wash your hair with toothpaste.

Minty fresh!

fumje Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm

None of the tear packets are toothpaste. There is a toothbrush package with a little tube of toothpaste included. It looks like toothpaste.

https://i.imgur.com/Iv5Q5Ir.jpg

There are several types of soap, and obviously you can choose which and how to use.

roberto.triviani Apr 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi all,

I am flying J out of NRT to the US on ANA.

I have a travelling companion who will be flying a non *A airline out of the same terminal around the same time.

What are my options for getting my companion into the lounge (no status for either of us on ANA/*A)?
I understand my ticket will get me access, but that no guests are permitted. Can I pay for my friend to enter with me?

If not, any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.

fumje Apr 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by roberto.triviani (Post 29666379)
Hi all,

I have a travelling companion who will be flying a non *A airline out of the same terminal around the same time.

What are my options for getting my companion into the lounge (no status for either of us on ANA/*A)?
I understand my ticket will get me access, but that no guests are permitted. Can I pay for my friend to enter with me?

Many thanks in advance.

ANA allows purchased access. I believe the price is about 50USD, but I am not certain.

What airline is your companion flying? I am only familiar with UA and NH at NRT; you may want to check that you will be able to easily access the same parts of the terminal.

mr8 Apr 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by roberto.triviani (Post 29666379)
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

IIRC, NRT divides their terminals based on alliance, so your companion might be in a different terminal.
I also don’t think you can guest people on J without status. Those cheap chase club passes should work for the UA club in NRT if your companion can make it into the *A terminal.