Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "*A Lounge Options at NRT" Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Link to NRT Terminal Map available here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/airpo...irportCode=NRT

Given the slow travel recovery for Japan, the ANA/NH lounges are on reduced hours and the NRT UC is closed. As travel recovery progress, there should be some expended access

* Gold Lounges

ANA Lounge Terminal 1 2nd Floor, #4 Satellite/South Wing
Pros: Noodle "bar"; sake bar; automated beer machines; overall better food than UA Club; showers with Shiseido amenities (foil packets). Sushi from 5-6pm.*
Cons: In lower level and has no windows; somewhat cramped, especially during peak hours (but not as bad as the UC); a short walk to UA gates.

ANA Lounge Terminal 1, 3rd Level, #5 Satellite/South Wing
Pros: Noodle "bar"; sake bar; automated beer machines; open, spacious areas with views of gates and runway; showers with Shiseido amenities (foil packets). Sushi from 3:30-4:30pm.*
Cons: Fairly distant from UA gates.

United Club Terminal 1, 3rd Level, #3 Satellite/South Wing
Pros: Adjacent to UA gates and transfer desk; showers; view of runway.
Cons: UA club level amenities; incredibly crowded in the afternoon prior to the bank of U.S. departures; noisy floor; often over-heated; furniture in disrepair.

See posts 171-173 for photos

*ANA in July announced some improvements, including a sushi chef in each of their lounges for an hour: https://www.ana.co.jp/ana_news/en/20...0160720-1.html

Consolidated "*A Lounge Options at NRT" Thread {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "*A Lounge Options at NRT" Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
For UCs, the one at NRT is among the best, although it is crowded before the mid-afternoon bank of flights back to the US.
Yes, but the UC is big enough, I've never had difficulty finding a decent seat. NH lounges are also quite busy at this time, and the departure announcements are nonstop.

Agree the choice between them is ultimately personal preferences. I used to prefer NH for the noodle bar, but now tilt towards UC since they redid the seating (plus it seems it's become harder to get a shower at NH, and for me that is consideration #1 ).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, but the UC is big enough, I've never had difficulty finding a decent seat. NH lounges are also quite busy at this time, and the departure announcements are nonstop.

Agree the choice between them is ultimately personal preferences. I used to prefer NH for the noodle bar, but now tilt towards UC since they redid the seating (plus it seems it's become harder to get a shower at NH, and for me that is consideration #1 ).
Agree, plus the addition of the nice fans in the shower rooms at the UC. Much better than before...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Lounges at NRT

Hi, I'm flying to KUL via NRT (UA to NRT, NH to KUL) with a few hours layover and I was wondering what people's opinion on the best lounges in NRT are. I'm flying in Y, but I have a United Club membership, am *G and also have a Priority Pass membership. I remember from last time I was in NRT that the United Club is actually pretty nice, but was wondering if other options are better.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
The ANA lounge near the 50’s gate is nice.They have sake urns, a noodle bar, the cool beer machines and a good seating area in the back. I enjoy that lounge. I typically go to both UA & ANA
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
ANA lounge all the way. Go up to the counter and order some Japanese curry. I'm in Japan know and will be getting some curry tomorrow before heading home.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Hi, I'm flying to KUL via NRT (UA to NRT, NH to KUL) with a few hours layover and I was wondering what people's opinion on the best lounges in NRT are. I'm flying in Y, but I have a United Club membership, am *G and also have a Priority Pass membership. I remember from last time I was in NRT that the United Club is actually pretty nice, but was wondering if other options are better.
I prefer the United Club. It's spacious, has lots of showers, and tasty sushi. The two NH lounges are very crowded, long wait for showers, and they make too many boarding announcements. And the food beyond the noodle bar (which is good) is pathetic (unless you're there during the limited hours they provide fresh sushi).

If you want a shower and have less than 3 hours, I would definitely recommend you go to the UC.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
When it was an option, I liked the first class lounge at ANA the most of the bunch, but now I think UA is better with more room and comparable food.

I was in NRT this week and used the upper lounge. There were only 3 others in the entire lounge when I first got there but then it thinned down to just me after a little while. They had a dish that I could only explain as "Happy Family" thats common on American Chinese Food menus...and then sushi, salad, dumplings, and other random small things. They had 2 wine stations although the 1 up front was the one with sake.

I asked a GS agent if a Polaris lounge was coming to NRT and she said it was unlikely and that there's no plans to build one there anytime soon. So I guess they should drop NRT from the lounge tracker.

If they did bring the Polaris offering to NRT, it would be the best there and would take all of ANAs premium flyers. With ANA unveiling their new first class suites and business class "rooms", I wonder if they'll up their lounge game at NRT to match.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I prefer the United Club. It's spacious, has lots of showers, and tasty sushi. The two NH lounges are very crowded, long wait for showers, and they make too many boarding announcements. And the food beyond the noodle bar (which is good) is pathetic (unless you're there during the limited hours they provide fresh sushi).

If you want a shower and have less than 3 hours, I would definitely recommend you go to the UC.
Tasty Sushi? Normally I agree with what you say but in this case not so much… Soggy Nori, sticky rice and little of the intended fillings. And whenever they put the plates out there such a long line that they get devoured it until the next plate comes out. I agree about the showers though…
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Tasty Sushi? Normally I agree with what you say but in this case not so much… Soggy Nori, sticky rice and little of the intended fillings. And whenever they put the plates out there such a long line that they get devoured it until the next plate comes out. I agree about the showers though…
To me sushis including Shrimp and Salmon ones at UA Club are at least real sushi and edible compared to those at NH's business lounges. I used to prefer ANA's business lounge to UA Club but now if I only have two hours I just go to UA Club which has some more premium food like fresh cut fruits (pineapple, Kiwi..etc) and smoked salmon while ANA only offers canned fruits. Personally the noodle bar has no attraction to me. I don't consume Alcohol so can't comment in this regard. I do prefer ANA for one thing: The Japanese style toilet seat!
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For me - ANA Lounges hands-down.

I do a shower in the UA Lounge because there is a fan and it's less stuffy, but every time I've been in there, the food offerings are dull and unappealing, the ambience dated and worn, so I go to the ANA Lounge which is clean, bright, with excellent service and the food options are much better, along with the plane spotting options (from the 50s gates lounge). The trick is arriving in the ANA Lounge before peak time, usually by 3pm, and the place is quiet and relaxed - there is about 90 minutes of chaos from 330-530P during the transit bank, but outside of those hours in the afternoon, there are plenty of seats and lots of food choices, free-flowing premium sake, etc etc.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
..sticky rice...
In sushi? That's a problem? I don't think sushi is made with Minute Rice ...Maybe in Kansas.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
In sushi? That's a problem? I don't think sushi is made with Minute Rice ...Maybe in Kansas.
Most have a sushi setting on the rice cooker. When the rice finishes use the rice spatula to break up the rice and to mix up the ricevinegar, sugar, and salt. If you break it up toomuch it will become way too sticky.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by tomwhom
To me sushis including Shrimp and Salmon ones at UA Club are at least real sushi and edible compared to those at NH's business lounges.
NH lounge has a sushi chef making sushi on the spot with 3 choices of fish/shrimp. I think sushi in NH lounge is slightly better. Now whether that makes the limited sushi time worth it vs. all the crowding and bench stool seating is debatable.

I like NH lounge by the 50s gate mostly for the nice views, assuming I can grab a window seat.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
NH lounge has a sushi chef making sushi on the spot with 3 choices of fish/shrimp.
I've heard of this mythical sushi chef, but have never been in the NH lounge at the right time. I don't think timing coincides with the UA departures.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've heard of this mythical sushi chef, but have never been in the NH lounge at the right time. I don't think timing coincides with the UA departures.
Yeah, I was going to say... only if you're there when the stars and moon are aligned

The sushi in the UC is nothing great, but at least it's available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.