Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Old May 9, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
never heard of that ...
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
They'll be lucky if they stay together, and not because an agent looked at notation on a PNR - you give UA too much credit. OP may well have to call again in case of IRROPS.
Well, I have a sample size of 1 for it working .. to be fair, I was skeptical too. And to be honest, I have no idea if it was because of the notation or just by default based on re-assignment algorithm. Still, it can't hurt!
Old May 9, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I just extended my benefits for the first time to my wife on a separate PNR but same flight. Calling in is the only way.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:40 pm

1K flying with two non-status companions. We were originally on the same PNR and the baggage allowance said 9 free bags, so 3 each. I had to cancel and rebook myself on the same flight, but companions are still on the original reservation. The PNR now says no free bags because I'm not on it anymore. From what I understand, it's possible that the check-in agent will extend my baggage allowance to my companions so we will each get 3 free bags each because we were all on one PNR originally, correct? We have 7 bags total so hoping to avoid the fees.

We also had a 1K phone agent extend the E+ benefits to the companions, but they couldn't do anything for the bags.

Last edited by Pilotb; May 10, 2022 at 6:42 pm Reason: More info
Old May 10, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pilotb
1K flying with two non-status companions. We were originally on the same PNR and the baggage allowance said 9 free bags, so 3 each. I had to cancel and rebook myself on the same flight, but companions are still on the original reservation. The PNR now says no free bags because I'm not on it anymore. From what I understand, it's possible that the check-in agent will extend my baggage allowance to my companions so we will each get 3 free bags each because we were all on one PNR originally, correct? We have 7 bags total so hoping to avoid the fees.

We also had a 1K phone agent extend the E+ benefits to the companions, but they couldn't do anything for the bags.
no, not really. You might get really lucky but free bags are only extended to on-PNR companions and not off-PNR.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
no, not really. You might get really lucky but free bags are only extended to on-PNR companions and not off-PNR.
Thanks for the insight. I guess previosuly being on the same PNR might not help us. Oh well
Old May 10, 2022, 7:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pilotb
Thanks for the insight. I guess previously being on the same PNR might not help us. Oh well
It might have been possible after just a ticket split but when you cancel and made a different booking, any chance went out the window
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Pretty simple question, 1K flying to KOA out of SFO, already booked ticket. Daughter wants to join me but now would be on different ticket numbers. Any options? First call to desk said cancel and rebook but it seems like I have had some luck in the past having the 1k desk push the reservation through with my benefits. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Options for what?

You would need to cancel and rebook on a single PNR to fully share status benefits. But you can have her seated with you in E+ on a separate PNR by calling and asking, and if you check in together they will usually waive any checked baggage fees (and she can accompany you through Premier Access areas).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Options for what?

You would need to cancel and rebook on a single PNR to fully share status benefits. But you can have her seated with you in E+ on a separate PNR by calling and asking, and if you check in together they will usually waive any checked baggage fees (and she can accompany you through Premier Access areas).
Well I did call and was told cancel and rebook but as I noted I thought I had called the desk in the past and had them "push" a family member to sit with me E+ on a separate PNR. I guess I will do a HUACA as I would rather not cancel and rebook. Yes she will be checking in with me so I figured they would waive baggage fees. Thanks
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
E+ should be no problem. If you're looking for her to be on the CPU list with meaningful priority, that would need to be a single PNR.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by findark
E+ should be no problem. If you're looking for her to be on the CPU list with meaningful priority, that would need to be a single PNR.
Yeah, thanks. Just did a HUACA and the second agent at the 1K desk was fabulous and took care of everything (funny how that works). Even got her a mileage upgrade for her return without me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Yeah, thanks. Just did a HUACA and the second agent at the 1K desk was fabulous and took care of everything (funny how that works). Even got her a mileage upgrade for her return without me.
The two agents were saying the same thing, it is a matter how you ask the guestion.

There are many things an elites can do for an off-PNR companion -- including E+ , priority boarding with you, CPU waitlist, ...access if on the same flight. So that answer is YES
And of course you can use your miles to upgrade a paid ticket even if not traveling together.

What you can not do is add a companion to your PNR. So the answer is NO,
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done. "Linking" PNRs, no benefit.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The two agents were saying the same thing, it is a matter how you ask the guestion.

There are many things an elites can do for an off-PNR companion -- including E+ , priority boarding with you, CPU waitlist, ...access if on the same flight. So that answer is YES
And of course you can use your miles to upgrade a paid ticket even if not traveling together.

What you can not do is add a companion to your PNR. So the answer is NO,
Combine reservations into one PNR? Can not be done. "Linking" PNRs, no benefit.
Perhaps, but the first agent pretty much just said you have to cancel your ticket and rebook with her, no option. No mention of "off-PNR" companion getting my benefits and while I haven't done this in a while I sort of remembered that they could indeed do that. Second agent knew exactly where I was going and what I wanted to do. Yes, I knew I could apply miles for the upgrade but he actually got me a better deal than I was seeing on line and processed it in a minute. Kudos to the 1K desk today!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:03 pm

Perhaps, but the first agent pretty much just said you have to cancel your ticket and rebook with her, no option. No mention of "off-PNR" companion getting my benefits and while I haven't done this in a while I sort of remembered that they could indeed do that. ...
But it you pushed on the on-PNR, the response would be no. This happens for other when ask for E+ upgrades or award ticket mileage upgrade (when the right term is waitlist). Yes, the first agent should have pivoted as the better second agent did, better unfortunately some get locked on the thing we ask for, not the thing we needed. (happens here on FT at times but with multi-response we sometimes bump into the right response -- a form of random-walk)

Yes, I knew I could apply miles for the upgrade but he actually got me a better deal than I was seeing on line and processed it in a minute. Kudos to the 1K desk today!
The "better" deal is a bit puzzling as mileage upgrades are fixed for a particular routing. Are was the better deal for the paid portion of the trip?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The "better" deal is a bit puzzling as mileage upgrades are fixed for a particular routing. Are was the better deal for the paid portion of the trip?
It was the mileage part. This has happened all be it rarely to me before that I have been right on the UA site looking at the miles needed to upgrade and the agent comes up with a different number, higher or lower (as in this case). Needless to say I just said go for it. Agree it is "puzzling" but why look a gift horse in the mouth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.