Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by miasmal
Or phone number used on the reservation. Many times I've had to say something along the lines of - 'my colleague and I are not that close and I do not know his DOB'.
I've been trying to figure this one out - while I had thought the DOB question was a screen to make sure you knew the person and weren't "selling" access, I wonder if it's also a security precaution to avoid a changed seat assignment (few would reject a swap from e to E+, but perhaps if going Aisle to middle or something).
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:31 pm

Award flight

Thanks to a mileage run, I earned a higher status for 2020, and I have enough miles for one overseas round trip. But of course there are two of us. I’ve searched this forum but I just want to make sure I am correct in this:

I have to book myself (award flight) and my spouse ($) in separate bookings, and because of this my status perks (upgrades, priority baggage, etc.) will only be available to me for the flight rather than both of us. In order for us both to get the perks, I either have to pay cash for both or have enough miles for both so we can be on the same booking (one-ways are not an option in this case since they are more expensive than the round trip). Am I understanding correctly?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2020 at 8:59 pm Reason: Moved to consolidated thread
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jaredd2000

I have to book myself (award flight) and my spouse ($) in separate bookings, and because of this my status perks (upgrades, priority baggage, etc.) will only be available to me for the flight rather than both of us. In order for us both to get the perks, ...
Some perks require a common PNR and some don't

Bags -- off-pnr companion does not get any benefit but as an 1K you can 3 (on UA) and the companion depending on destination may get 1 or more -- but 3 bags for a couple can cover many trips.
E+ -- you can guest your companion, just requires a call.
Check-in, Security and Boarding -- you can guest your companion
CPU -- you may be able to add your companion at the gate YMMV, you being on award ticket might be eligible for CPU if you have the right credit cards

The thread's wiki covers some other benefits. Overall it may not be as bad as your feared.

One issue is irrops handling, you will be handled with higher priority but a word to the GA or UA phone agents will get your companion similarly treated
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: United 1K Hilton Diamond
have cake and eat it too?

So I have a work trip that family will be joining me on.

Work covers everything for me but not for family course. Is there a way book miles for my wife and daughter while I pay for mine (and get miles and pqp etc), with the kicker of getting all of the freebies I get as a Plat (econ plus mostly, I can claim the bags).

Either pony up and put everybody on 1 PNR or am I missing something? No issue to buy all 3 and get reimbursed for 1, just cheap.

thanks
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OccasionalCanuck
.... Is there a way book miles for my wife and daughter while I pay for mine (and get miles and pqp etc), with the kicker of getting all of the freebies I get as a Plat (econ plus mostly, I can claim the bags).

Either pony up and put everybody on 1 PNR or am I missing something? ...
It appears you are aware of Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

But as an elite you can guest a number of companions into E+. Silver (at T-24) and Gold are allowed 1 companion for free, Plat and above -- up to 8 companions. But a Gold can guest up to 8 into Preferred Seats but those are just regular E- seats closer to the front.
If more than your status allows, you can purchase E+ for the remaining.

Bags -- put most of them on your ticket.
Boarding, Security, Check-in -- companions can go with you
More in the thread's wiki
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
We recently booked a an CPUable flight with three 1k members on a single booking and a non-Elite on seperate PNR.

Since the 4th traveller booked a couple of hours later, he was on a seperate booking. First / Business class was quite empty and there even remained some empty seats after upgrade list fully cleared.

We could easily get the Eco+ seat for hom. Trying to get him on the upgrade list was really frustrating however:
- 1K hotline told us to ask at the airport
- service desk at EWR couldn't assist, but asked us to call the 1K hotline instead
- Polaris lounge staff (after arriving internationally) couldn't assist unless the companion would show up as well. However lounge staff refused entry for him (since he didn't fly Polaris)
- no luck at the United Club
- Twitter team recommended to use PlusPoints for his upgrade, couldn't put him on the CPU list as well. But looks like you shouldn't rely on companion-CPU on seperate booking nowadays
- Gate Agent refused to put him on the upgrade list despite those empty seats + empty upgrade list

We finally managed to get him upgraded by asking the Purser while boarding.

Last edited by delpiero223; Jan 22, 2020 at 1:22 pm Reason: removed personal information
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by delpiero223
...But looks like you shouldn't rely on companion-CPU on seperate booking nowadays ....
All the approaches to others than the GA were bound to have met with failure. This has been a GA only "feature" and is not a published benefit. (It was a pmCO feature that was not formally carried over post-merger). And should never be an expected benefit. Best not to bring this up with others, could lead to a complete shutdown.

This was a pmCO practice but was not carried over formally post merger . It is YMMV

The Purser violated company policy.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All the approaches to others than the GA were bound to have met with failure. This has been a GA only "feature" and is not a published benefit. (It was a pmCO feature that was not formally carried over post-merger). And should never be an expected benefit. Best not to bring this up with others, could lead to a complete shutdown.
The wiki post looked quite promising about the upgrade, so we thought it can't be that hard to get him on the list.

After boarding GA finally got us a new, printed BP for the seat change. So at least it was a more or less "official" upgrade, not just an in-aircraft swap. But looks like those 20 PlusPoints might be worth it next time.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by delpiero223
The wiki post looked quite promising about the upgrade, so we thought it can't be that hard to get him on the list. ....
Yes, it can happen at the gate by the GA (as the wiki states). It is not a formal policy and all those others were probably quite puzzled by the out of policy request. And they can not do the "tricks" that an GA can do

Added the word "only" to the wiki to make it clearer.
delpiero223 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2020 at 1:56 pm
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I got award tickets for 2 companions no status - same itinerary as my cash ticket, all different PNRs. We're going skiing so we each have a ski bag and a luggage. I don't have to pay for luggage, but it would be great for them not have to pony up $80 ($30 first bag + $50 second bag) each way. It appears the policy says they are out of luck, but I'll see if it can be waived based on my status. I'll report back after the trip in 3 weeks.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:55 pm

You have a 3 bag allowance, so you can check one of the second bags for free under your allowance.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal
I got award tickets for 2 companions no status - same itinerary as my cash ticket, all different PNRs. We're going skiing so we each have a ski bag and a luggage. I don't have to pay for luggage, but it would be great for them not have to pony up $80 ($30 first bag + $50 second bag) each way. It appears the policy says they are out of luck, but I'll see if it can be waived based on my status. I'll report back after the trip in 3 weeks.
Will be good to have this data point.

Depending where you're going, Platinums get three bags, so you can check one extra bag, saving your friends some $$.

One nice thing about UA's ski bag policy is that a ski bag and a boot bag are one item so you don't have to put the boots in with your other checked bag.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by danpeake
One nice thing about UA's ski bag policy is that a ski bag and a boot bag are one item so you don't have to put the boots in with your other checked bag.
Yeah - but only on the way back is it useful . . . on the way boots go in my carry-on!
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:59 am

As a lowly Gold who never considered this scenario before because domestic CPUs clearing were purely theoretical , do traveling companions with linked PNRs get put on the upgrade list alongside me? I've linked so my family can get preferred seating, but never even considered the CPU part.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whlinder
As a lowly Gold who never considered this scenario before because domestic CPUs clearing were purely theoretical , do traveling companions with linked PNRs get put on the upgrade list alongside me? I've linked so my family can get preferred seating, but never even considered the CPU part.
Sounds like no in your case. The only way to have a companion CPU is to have that person on the same PNR. Note that even with more than one other on the same PNR, you only get one companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.