Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
                  Originally Posted by mherdeg
                  Hmm, so HNL-EWR (departing 9:25 p.m., 4962 miles) gets no food service to start, a mid-flight selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit, and a pre-arrival refreshment or snack?

Is that a service downgrade? It's too bad it's not scheduled at 8:45 p.m. or 9:00 p.m.
                  Based on the length of the flight, I'm willing to bet it'd be an exception flight. If not, expect feedback/complaints to quickly change that.

Despite AA's written policy that all flights after 8pm get no meals (except JFK-LAX/SFO; LAX-MIA), westbound transcons leaving JFK/PHL/CLT/MIA a bit after 8pm still gets dinner (i.e., the 8:05pm MIA-SAN; the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flights).
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:06 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
                  Update on Reinvented North America Premium Cabin Dining

Fabulous! Except I've booked my next trip in paid F on VX because it was cheaper. I would love to know how the new meals compare to VX.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
                  Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
                  Based on the length of the flight [HNL-EWR 9:25pm departure], I'm willing to bet it'd be an exception flight. If not, expect feedback/complaints to quickly change that.
                  I don't know. I think this is not a heavy business route, and if there's just a snack plate and pre-arrival snack now, it's not too much of a step down to the new standard. I think there should absolutely be a meal service on that flight, but if UA is satisfied with the present standards on this route the new ones, they will probably be satisfied with the new standards too.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
                  While I overall like the changes, I feel the loss of a formal meal on the Red Eye's is a bummer. First off, Red Eye's are my favorite flights.

Putting aside the personal factor, if you figure a T-Con is at minimum 5'30" gate to gate, plus you board 30" prior to departure, 6 hours is a lengthy period without something more substantial than a banana or mini-tolberone bar, especially if you don't sleep much. At least give me a $10.00 Bob credit. That's still very simple / inexpensive to manage.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:29 am
                  TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
                  Looks like a move in a right direction...

Now... could we have something edible in the United Clubs? Like soup US serves in its clubs? The cost should not be significant...
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408
                  While I overall like the changes, I feel the loss of a formal meal on the Red Eye's is a bummer. First off, Red Eye's are my favorite flights.

Putting aside the personal factor, if you figure a T-Con is at minimum 5'30" gate to gate, plus you board 30" prior to departure, 6 hours is a lengthy period without something more substantial than a banana or mini-tolberone bar, especially if you don't sleep much. At least give me a $10.00 Bob credit. That's still very simple / inexpensive to manage.
                  The lack of meal service on domestic red eye's is probably related to the lack of uptake for meals on the flight as many people want to sleep. Offering BOB is actually a great idea for those that want to eat.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
                  ORD-BDL, I'm happy.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:46 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by phkc070408
                  Keep in mind the non-meal flights don't have decent BOB anyway -- just snack boxes, which is just junk food vs. junk food in the snack basket anyway. The sandwiches and such are usually only on meal time flights.

Also, it's not just redeyes, this is also late westbounds (e.g., 10:00 PM IAD-SFO). So you're easily looking at a 6+ hour gate to gate in many cases, plus you could have been running inbound from a connection with no time to grab something (or running from a BF flight where your second meal was a hot pocket). A snack basket for F passengers is not cool in those situations.

As for the credit concept, though, while it certainly sounds simple and manageable, keep in mind the context of UA's revenue underperformance under which UA currently operates. They just posted today that in 2014 they made 0.86 cents less per revenue passenger mile than did DL. So if your average transcon is 2,500 miles and has 150 passengers, then UA on average bringing in $3,200 less per flight than had it been a DL flight. Talking about a $10 credit x up to 20-24 passengers in that context is not going to fly.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:22 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is obviously good news. I do think the USA airlines now realize that their product really sucks compared to that offered pretty much anywhere else in the world. I honestly think it discourages demand for air travel: especially among higher paying pax who look for reasons NOT to fly. With the USA airlines now making BILLIONS in annual profit, hopefully this long-term perspective will take hold and more service improvements will be forthcoming.

Maybe next they will revisit the food/drink offerings in the lounge. Completely embarrassing. It doesn't have to cost a fortune to make customers feel appreciated and not hate the experience.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
                  Major kudos to UA for upping their game here. UA will be the clear leader, now, in this area. ^^^^^
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
                  I'm very excited for these changes. My next few trips are all in paid F, so looking forward to the better meals. Please tackle the UC food offerings please. It can't cost that much more to add a few more substantial items. Please.

The wine has been just OK in domestic F and the coffee.. Not so much. Those area couple items that could use some tweaking as you roll out the new meals. Thanks UA!
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
                  Great news for those who can get into F.

On a side note, I wonder if this is part of a plan to increase the number of TOD upgrades by marketing both the hard product and the meals when offering a TOD?
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
                  Even though the example meals they cited sound rather awful, kudos for the effort to improve. ^ The Q400's need some real food instead of the (often absent) tiny snack mix. The Mediterranean snack plate they service on mainlines currently is delicious, too.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
                  Originally Posted by mherdeg
                  Hmm, so HNL-EWR (departing 9:25 p.m., 4962 miles) gets no food service to start, a mid-flight selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit, and a pre-arrival refreshment or snack?

Is that a service downgrade? It's too bad it's not scheduled at 8:45 p.m. or 9:00 p.m.
                  I booked on this flight in the beginning of March and it is presently marked as "Snack". I took this flight last year and it was "Dinner" (However I think it was after the DST change (EDIT: Now that I check, even after the DST, it still says snack)).

So I wouldn't call it a downgrade. but if they don't make it an "exception" I wouldn't call it an upgrade either. We'll see

Last edited by eng3; Jan 23, 2015 at 6:39 am
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:20 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
                  Well, it's nice to see a major US airline putting a little bit of effort into domestic F. Perhaps if this goes well I'll migrate to UA from AA which now seems unable to bother serving much other than inedible garbage on flights systemwide with the exception of Eagle. I'll have to consider giving UA a shot in a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.