FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United wrecked car seat: what can we do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1647952-united-wrecked-car-seat-what-can-we-do.html)

trajanc Jan 20, 2015 11:01 pm

United wrecked car seat: what can we do?

We recently flew TPA-SEA on United. Checked our car seat and when we received it back it was pretty much destroyed. Seat was heavily scraped and cracked on one side. Bracket for looping belt on side was ripped off enough that it's just dangling. Belt for top latch is actually torn. Looking at it it looks like it was literally run over and dragged by a vehicle.

We got in at 10pm and the baggage service desk was closed. We stayed that night in a nearby airport hotel. Called United that night to report a claim. Were told to go in to SEA next morning and bring the seat. We did this and talked to the only lady at the desk and she was kind of nuts. She did take pictures of the seat. Told us United does not accept liability for damage to car seats. That is contrary to what the person on the phone said and contrary to United's posted conditions (they say they do not accept liability for damage to strollers). And the phone agents offer of a replacement seat was nullified because the lady at the desk said she could not go into the room where the seats were because her doctor told her to avoid co2 and that room had a leak. And we really should be talking to her supervisor but her supervisor wasn't there.

So we drove immediately to get a new seat. Cost us $225. Wrecked seat originally cost $300. We have called this supervisor, left messages and sent emails with pictures to the supervisor all with no response.

So looking for tips on what to do next. Any suggestions? Outside of this United was great. Ty for any replies!

Tchiowa Jan 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by trajanc (Post 24205425)
We recently flew TPA-SEA on United. Checked our car seat and when we received it back it was pretty much destroyed. Seat was heavily scraped and cracked on one side. Bracket for looping belt on side was ripped off enough that it's just dangling. Belt for top latch is actually torn. Looking at it it looks like it was literally run over and dragged by a vehicle.

We got in at 10pm and the baggage service desk was closed. We stayed that night in a nearby airport hotel. Called United that night to report a claim. Were told to go in to SEA next morning and bring the seat. We did this and talked to the only lady at the desk and she was kind of nuts. She did take pictures of the seat. Told us United does not accept liability for damage to car seats. That is contrary to what the person on the phone said and contrary to United's posted conditions (they say they do not accept liability for damage to strollers). And the phone agents offer of a replacement seat was nullified because the lady at the desk said she could not go into the room where the seats were because her doctor told her to avoid co2 and that room had a leak. And we really should be talking to her supervisor but her supervisor wasn't there.

So we drove immediately to get a new seat. Cost us $225. Wrecked seat originally cost $300. We have called this supervisor, left messages and sent emails with pictures to the supervisor all with no response.

So looking for tips on what to do next. Any suggestions? Outside of this United was great. Ty for any replies!

From UA's Conditions of Carriage: "Except for certain International Carriage subject to the terms of the Montreal Convention, UA is not liable for damage to child/infant seats when carried as Checked Baggage."

mduell Jan 20, 2015 11:33 pm

Told us United does not accept liability for damage to car seats. That is contrary to what the person on the phone said and contrary to United's posted conditions (they say they do not accept liability for damage to strollers).

In the only place that matters (the CoC) they told you:

RULE 28 ADDITIONAL LIABILITY LIMITATIONS
For purposes of all other carriage (including Domestic Carriage) not governed by the Montreal Convention or other applicable international law, the following liability limitations and other exclusions apply:
K) Additional Baggage Liability Limitations and Exclusions:
3) EXCLUSIONS: UA shall not be liable for the loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of any of the following:
dd) Strollers, bassinets, and infant carrying seats;

tjf739 Jan 20, 2015 11:55 pm

OP, unfortunately, United does disclaim liability for damage to checked car seats. However, it seems they were prepared to offer you a replacement, since the phone agent told you they would and the agent at SEA did not say "no, we don't provide a replacement" but rather made an excuse about being unable to enter the room where replacements are stored.

If I were you, I would send an email to customer care attaching the receipt for the new seat and requesting compensation. I'd stick to the facts and mention that you were generously offered a replacement but that the agent was unable to bring you one. Unfortunately, you did need to replace the seat right away, and you would be grateful if UA could compensate you for your expense because the agent at SEA was unable to provide the alternative you had been offered. I'd probably expect either an e-cert or nothing, but you'll lose nothing by trying, and unfortunately under the terms of the CoC (whether they're reasonable or not), you're entitled to nothing.

Starblazer Jan 21, 2015 1:00 am

If you went by the CoC, it seems the only thing that they cover is clothes. Did you get a claim number?

halls120 Jan 21, 2015 5:18 am

Submit a claim, hope for the best, but expect less. It's sadly the new normal.

Loren Pechtel Jan 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Starblazer (Post 24205747)
If you went by the CoC, it seems the only thing that they cover is clothes. Did you get a claim number?

It's about time Congress does something about this game of denied liability.

ifly153 Jan 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Eva Air once gave me $50 cash on the spot for breaking a cheap old umbrella stroller that we bought for $15.

fastair Jan 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 24211452)
It's about time Congress does something about this game of denied liability.

On the other hand, if it were packed to ship, it would be fine, but who wants to save/carry the box? You really believe an item that is not packed for shipping should be covered? Heck, UPS/FEDEX wouldn't accept an unpackaged item. I mean a suitcase is a case to protect the contents (suits). What is to protect a car seat when there is no box?

mherdeg Jan 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by tjf739 (Post 24205600)
If I were you, I would send an email to customer care attaching the receipt for the new seat and requesting compensation. I'd stick to the facts and mention that you were generously offered a replacement but that the agent was unable to bring you one. Unfortunately, you did need to replace the seat right away, and you would be grateful if UA could compensate you for your expense because the agent at SEA was unable to provide the alternative you had been offered. I'd probably expect either an e-cert or nothing, but you'll lose nothing by trying, and unfortunately under the terms of the CoC (whether they're reasonable or not), you're entitled to nothing.

This sounds like the right angle to give UA customer relations a chance to help out with service recovery. I hope the OP tries something like this and I hope it works out.

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 24211525)
On the other hand, if it were packed to ship, it would be fine, but who wants to save/carry the box? You really believe an item that is not packed for shipping should be covered? Heck, UPS/FEDEX wouldn't accept an unpackaged item. I mean a suitcase is a case to protect the contents (suits). What is to protect a car seat when there is no box?

Do airlines really want stuff in boxes? When we moved east across an ocean, we shipped a bunch of stuff in suitcases instead of using plain old moving boxes, on the theory that people handling baggage would prefer to use something with handles designed to be airline-style checked luggage.

notquiteaff Jan 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 24211525)

I have seen many checked infant seats wrapped in plastic. Not that uncommon because, well, as you say, who keeps the box or wants to travel with it?

But I have also often wondered if it would be really too much to ask for the ramp workers to treat bags a bit more carefully. I mean, we passengers are all sitting there in the terminal at the gate or in the plane looking out of the windows and see how they toss the bags around, how they slam them onto the carts or conveyor, how the bags tumble off the conveyor belts etc. etc. is that what United *wants* them to do? Is that standard procedure?

dcpdxtrans Jan 21, 2015 9:44 pm

If OP has status, UA might cover. We were told our stroller wold not be covered. Spoke with 1k line &presto. If OP has no or low status ,aim for cert. We have travel bags for our pricey children's gear & recommend that for OP, a worthwhile investment.

azepine00 Jan 22, 2015 1:39 am

$250-300 for carseat?
Cosco scenera is $50 or less

COSPILOT Jan 22, 2015 8:18 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 24212400)
$250-300 for carseat?
Cosco scenera is $50 or less

You get what you pay for. We always used Britax car seats for our kids which aren't cheap.

gobluetwo Jan 22, 2015 9:01 am

And the phone agents offer of a replacement seat was nullified because the lady at the desk said she could not go into the room where the seats were because her doctor told her to avoid co2 and that room had a leak. And we really should be talking to her supervisor but her supervisor wasn't there.

That is ridiculous and probably a lie. A CO2 leak can be a serious thing and, if known, not fixing it would likely be a major safety violation. At the very least, I would also contact United customer care with this information (along with the carseat stuff, of course).