Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whereiswaldo
Just a question. On a six-segment UA itinerary (US & Canada), the fourth flight had a massive schedule change. No other UA flight is available within many hours, but a Air Canada is available as a UA code share. An UA agent refused to rebook the segment and stated that rebooking for schedule changes can only be done on UA metal. Is this correct? She was trying to be helpful and checked with a supervisor. I refunded and rebooked on another airline since i had no time to try a bunch more calls with UA. WOUld be good to know for future reference if this is really a UA rule with code shares.
Perhaps there were some special restrictions on your ticket, but I've been rebooked both on and off of many UA codeshares in the past when the schedule changed.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just a question. On a six-segment UA itinerary (US & Canada), the fourth flight had a massive schedule change. No other UA flight is available within many hours, but a Air Canada is available as a UA code share. An UA agent refused to rebook the segment and stated that rebooking for schedule changes can only be done on UA metal. Is this correct? She was trying to be helpful and checked with a supervisor. I refunded and rebooked on another airline since i had no time to try a bunch more calls with UA. WOUld be good to know for future reference if this is really a UA rule with code shares.
Is this an award ticket?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Would be good to know for future reference if this is really a UA rule with code shares.
May well be for non elites.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps there were some special restrictions on your ticket, but I've been rebooked both on and off of many UA codeshares in the past when the schedule changed.
That may be reserved for elites, maybe even Gold and up.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by gold23
I'm not going to take the outbound because if I can't get on the Sat night flight, I'm going to drive. There are no hotel rooms available within 50 miles that evening (anyone who has a child in summer camp knows exactly how this works- typical $129/night hotel rooms going for $399/night and w/3 night minimums).
Although I don't know the technicality, it sure sounds like a "trip in vain".
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Although I don't know the technicality, it sure sounds like a "trip in vain".
But the return flight is not on the same ticket. For it to be a trip in vain, it would have to be a single itinerary.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
But the return flight is not on the same ticket. For it to be a trip in vain, it would have to be a single itinerary.
Exactly.

It's a risk for those of us who book one ways when we can
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
May well be for non elites.

That may be reserved for elites, maybe even Gold and up.
Thanks for the comments.

I am a 1K. This was a revenue ticket. Not a cheap one either. Mostly V and W segments. Four months out so fare bucket availability was not an issue. I provided a concise routing alternative.

To add insult to injury so to speak neither the refund processed, i.e. no refund e-mail (which more often than not has meant that UA did not process the refund), and none of the RPUs I had applied got redeposited - despite the agent telling me on the phone that she processed both.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
To add insult to injury so to speak neither the refund processed, i.e. no refund e-mail (which more often than not has meant that UA did not process the refund), and none of the RPUs I had applied got redeposited - despite the agent telling me on the phone that she processed both.
For RPU and GPU, you need to call Mileage Plus desk 1-800-421-4655
Hours: 7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
For RPU and GPU, you need to call Mileage Plus desk 1-800-421-4655
Hours: 7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week.
Interesting anecdote here . . . I called MPSC the other night to get a redeposit of a GPU where I had upfared to P for the return on a RT itinerary, and the agent tried to refund two GPUs, including the one that had been properly burned on the outbound. I had to stop her and clarify that I was only asking to get one of them back.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:27 am

For RPU and GPU, you need to call Mileage Plus desk
I've had mixed luck with automatic refund of RPU / GPU both on my and sponsored u/g requests. Good luck with calling in.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I've had mixed luck with automatic refund of RPU / GPU both on my and sponsored u/g requests. Good luck with calling in.
I have good luck calling MP in U.S. It does take a while for a CSR to verify all details and redeposit instrument/s back into my account.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:47 am

I have good luck calling MP in U.S. It does take a while for a CSR to verify all details and redeposit instrument/s back into my account.
Ya, that's what I meant. Now that I re read my post it sounds like I am wishing OP luck instead of saying I have had good luck calling in. In other words, 100% success when calling in after automatic redeposit failed.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE
Looking at a few domestic flight options in late September; are flight schedules generally pretty locked down for September (barring late aircraft swaps, etc), or is it still likely to have significant schedule changes? I'm thinking September is still part of the typical "summer" schedule, so I'm guessing most of the significant change would be done by now, but just wondering if there's a typical time frame for when schedule changes for late September flights would occur.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Warning - take a screen shot before you call.

Schedule changes are very much par for the course for me since I book quite far in advance and today accepted the change. However, as the upgrade had come through but was now on a different flight told me to call in. Called and as always the phone representative (interestingly enough not the 1K desk) fixed the reservation but when I queried the prior upgrade she told me it was not there. But it was the reason I called as it had disappeared. It was only the short leg (SAN-LAX) of a two leg flight so it was the principle not the upgrade itself. She told me I was wrong. Since I had just been looking at it before I refreshed the screen I disagreed with her but I had not taken a screen shot so it was her word vs mine. So now back on the upgrade list. Would have been really annoyed if it had happened on the longer leg.

For future reference, take a screen shot before calling about a schedule change if the upgrade came through.
This just happened to me again on another flight where the upgrade had come through but on the longer leg and they cancelled the flight UA 935 LHR-LAX at 9.20am. I was going to misconnect for the LAX-SAN leg which it looked like the upgrade had also come through (showing as "R" class) but also showed it separately as waitlisted.

They had moved me to the afternoon flight which I did not want, and interestingly enough showed as the same flight number (UA 935)

However, they had also put me on the LHR-SFO morning flight connecting to SFO-SAN which is what I wanted and I asked about the upgrade. They told me I could use a GPU and I asked why my successful upgrade did not stick. She said there was no record of the upgrade on the flight. I informed her I had a screen shot and she told me that there was nothing in the records.

She then told me the record showed I had used two GPUs for the previous upgrades. I said no there was just one, but that the system had charged me the UK airport tax twice. She continued to insist I had used 2 GPUs so I asked if I was going to get back an additional GPU (this was more a sarcastic comment on my side as I know the balance of my GPUs as I have had little success with using them.)

So in the end she cleaned the record and applied the GPU for the LHR-SFO-SAN legs. She then asked me if I really had a screen shot that showed the upgrade had come through and I said yes I did so she told me to send it to United which I have done as the system has no record of the upgrade being successful.

(There was no additional GPU put into my account as I had only used one GPU and I did not push her on the issue as I knew I was not entitled to the additional GPU.)

This issue has happened to me twice now within a couple of months and I had never experienced this before. Do not know what has happened to the IT systems but take a screen shot before the system wipes the history when there has been a schedule change.

I have contacted United, but needed to convert the screen shots into word and then into pdf, as the jpg files were too large. I have the proforma e-mail back telling me they are looking into it.

(For the first flight where this happened, but I did not take the screen shot, I am still waiting for the upgrade to come through...really frustrated I did not take the screen shot the first time this happened to me.)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

I have contacted United, but needed to convert the screen shots into word and then into pdf, as the jpg files were too large. I have the proforma e-mail back telling me they are looking into it.
A little OT, but it would have probably been faster and easier to reduce size of Jpg file than all the converting @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.