Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i am very surprised there is not a UA flight that leaves at 8 or 9am on SFO-LAX. the daily frequency is almost every hour. there is literally nothing else on the schedule on a nonstop that would tighten up your connection (even if they are only selling Y fares)?
It's a Saturday in October, and they just seem to have terrible morning frequencies then: 6am, 7am, followed by 9:55am (arriving seemingly 3 minutes too late for MCT).

SBP does seem terrible so I guess I'll wait for more SFO-LAX schedule changes for now (there are more frequencies on other days/months so I'm hoping this is just a mistake).
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by televisor
It's a Saturday in October, and they just seem to have terrible morning frequencies then: 6am, 7am, followed by 9:55am (arriving seemingly 3 minutes too late for MCT).

SBP does seem terrible so I guess I'll wait for more SFO-LAX schedule changes for now (there are more frequencies on other days/months so I'm hoping this is just a mistake).
I think at 2 months out, it's highly unlikely that they're going to be adding more frequencies on that route. The first week of October is a pretty soft week in terms of demand.

So I think your choices are really SBP, flying early morning, or flying the night before. Perhaps it might even be worthwhile to ask if they can waive MCT and ticket you on the 9:55 anyway - now that UA and NH are connected airside at LAX, an hour and a half is a longer MCT than probably necessary.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't believe that (in and of itself) is true under the latest Contract of Carriage.
This isn't really relevant to me, but I decided to dig into this further: UA certainly has removed this provision (change of carrier = refund allowed) from their CoC. However many posts on FT and some other on the internet refer to DOT guidance which instructs airlines to allow cancellation/refund on change of carrier.

The only thing I've managed to find is the following text from a letter from DOT to airlines in 2001, although I don't know how much that actually affects an airlines obligations nowadays:

hhttp://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20010925.htm

As we have stated in the past (see our industry letter of July 15, 1996), carriers should not be applying nonrefundability/penalty provisions in situations in which a change in travel date or a significant change in scheduled
departure or arrival time has been necessitated by carrier action. The same is true of a change in carriers or airports used, even without a significant schedule change, or a change from direct to connecting service or from nonstop service to a flight with a stop.
(That 1996 letter can be found here, and doesn't seem to mention change of carrier at all.)

What do you all think of this? Would this be enough leverage to force a rebooking on change of carrier? (I'm guessing figuring this out might be useful to someone some-day, on the other hand without a concrete case of someone doing this I guess we won't know for certain how easy/hard that might be.)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
This isn't really relevant to me, but I decided to dig into this further: UA certainly has removed this provision (change of carrier = refund allowed) from their CoC. However many posts on FT and some other on the internet refer to DOT guidance which instructs airlines to allow cancellation/refund on change of carrier.

The only thing I've managed to find is the following text from a letter from DOT to airlines in 2001, although I don't know how much that actually affects an airlines obligations nowadays:

The answer is not much. 15 years is a lifetime in the airline industry. Sub-contracted regional carrier changes are no longer a valid trigger for ticket refunds.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Would this be enough leverage to force a rebooking on change of carrier? ...
There is no such thing as "forcing a rebooking" (prior to start of travel) -- perhaps a refund but rebooking is purely at UA's discretion.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Aircraft is getting swapped, right?

I'm Booked on 3461 on Sunday. Was always scheduled as a E75, but I think we're getting swapped to an E70.

I was surprised, given the few in E+ and only 1 booked in F (yes, per the seat map, I know) that I didn't clear the upgrade in the plat window. Last time I checked my reservation was earlier this week - it still showed the E75 seat map. Now shows 6 F seats today, upgrade list says capacity 6, and where is this aircraft coming from show N653RW, which is a 70, but doesn't actually list the plane type. But booking a new ticket shows a 75, but with a 70 seat map (AFAIK, he only difference is 2 vs. 4 rows of F - economy is the same). Seat map in flight status and in my reservation also shows the same seat map with 2 rows of F. Expertflyer says the flight is under airport control already.

This is almost certainly a plane swap, yes? Booking system is just showing the outdated aircraft?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by emcampbe
This is almost certainly a plane swap, yes? Booking system is just showing the outdated aircraft?
Yes
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Was originally booked RDU - SFO - LAS. Paid to upfare to P (not upgrade in system but actual upfare) in part because of flight length and PQMs. Looks like nighttime RDU - SFO flight has been canceled for that date and I've been rebooked on RDU - IAH - LAS on UAX. Far fewer PQMs and no longer transcon F service.

Do I have any leverage to force them to rebook on another routing or downgrade me and give me back the upfare?

Note P is open on RDU - IAD - LAS and RDU - EWR (no F) - LAS would they give me that instead if I call in?

Also it's no longer listed on UA for sale or EF but it's still on the UA timetable - is that just due to lag (flight date is end of August)

Last edited by Duke787; Aug 5, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Duke787
Was originally booked RDU - SFO - LAS. Paid to upfare to P (not upgrade in system but actual upfare) in part because of flight length and PQMs. Looks like nighttime RDU - SFO flight has been canceled for that date and I've been rebooked on RDU - IAH - LAS on UAX. Far fewer PQMs and no longer transcon F service.

Do I have any leverage to force them to rebook on another routing or downgrade me and give me back the upfare?

Note P is open on RDU - IAD - LAS and RDU - EWR (no F) - LAS would they give me that instead if I call in?

Also it's no longer listed on UA for sale or EF but it's still on the UA timetable - is that just due to lag (flight date is end of August)
Yeah, changing from UA to UX is definitely a good enough justification to get a new routing.

RDU-IAD/EWR-LAS are absolutely fine. In fact, you can probs even get them to rebook you on RDU-EWR-SFO-LAS (with PS on EWR-SFO) if you make the case that you really wanted to stop in SFO for some reason.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
same flight changed for the 3rd weekend in a row
make that 4! Unbelievable UA. Now I'll have to call again next week to get it fixed. What a mess.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yeah, changing from UA to UX is definitely a good enough justification to get a new routing.

RDU-IAD/EWR-LAS are absolutely fine. In fact, you can probs even get them to rebook you on RDU-EWR-SFO-LAS (with PS on EWR-SFO) if you make the case that you really wanted to stop in SFO for some reason.
Cool - I should've pushed for the PS routing but there was no P space on RDU - EWR (it was either Y on a regional or A on an E170) so I just went with IAD with P space since I figured it would go smoother and it was no problem.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Had my first stealth change in a while. Was booked BWI-ORD-YVR in January. Logged in to find that I was auto-rebooked BWI-DEN-YVR departing about 100 minutes earlier. No red letters, no "Do You Accept" button - I was just rebooked.

Called in and got an acceptable (preferred) alternative, but I'll be watching PNRs like a hawk - stealth changes are still happening!

You have been warned!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm Booked on 3461 on Sunday. Was always scheduled as a E75, but I think we're getting swapped to an E70.

I was surprised, given the few in E+ and only 1 booked in F (yes, per the seat map, I know) that I didn't clear the upgrade in the plat window. Last time I checked my reservation was earlier this week - it still showed the E75 seat map. Now shows 6 F seats today, upgrade list says capacity 6, and where is this aircraft coming from show N653RW, which is a 70, but doesn't actually list the plane type. But booking a new ticket shows a 75, but with a 70 seat map (AFAIK, he only difference is 2 vs. 4 rows of F - economy is the same). Seat map in flight status and in my reservation also shows the same seat map with 2 rows of F. Expertflyer says the flight is under airport control already.

Looks like it changed back though? All sources I have show an E75 booked 1/12 up front.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I had a direct SEA-EWR flight this October that got changed to SEA-ORD-EWR with zero notification whatsoever (was a Sunday version of daily non-stop flight, and apparently they cancelled the Sunday version). Only discovered it, because I check all my reservations about once every couple of weeks.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
I had a direct SEA-EWR flight this October that got changed to SEA-ORD-EWR with zero notification whatsoever (was a Sunday version of daily non-stop flight, and apparently they cancelled the Sunday version). Only discovered it, because I check all my reservations about once every couple of weeks.
Funnily the only schedule change email I got was when my many-times-changed flight was moved 7 minutes later. I didn't get any emails when that flight was initially moved forward 40 minutes, then moved forward another 55 minutes (I think the flight numbers probably changed both times).

In the non-notification cases I think I got different flight numbers, the change where I got the email was just a time change for the same flight number. So maybe the emails only work for time-changes but not flight changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.