Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old May 23, 2016, 5:44 pm

UA schedule change any recourse

Hello all, I booked a ticket that had an original departure time of 8:55AM and a 59 min layover before my connecting flight. Now after two schedule changes from United my departure time has changed to 5:25AM and now a 4 hour and 45 min layover. Do I have any right to demand switching to different flights? I also when I booked I confirmed into R class with RPU's any right to be booked into first or is it back to economy if in fact I am allowed to switch? Thank you
Old May 23, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Make a phone call to UA. Tell them your problem and ask them for other options. Do it nicely. It worked well for me for our upcoming EWR-YVR trip. They actually changed us twice as schedules and aircraft changed. If you get someone who won't help on the first call, try again.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Over three hours on a schedule is sufficient for DOT to mandate either being rebooked to flights with better times for you or a full refund. However, the refund option only makes sense if you can purchase flights that are better for you without spending a lot more. Of course, the airline would prefer that you stick with that carrier, so they're likely to be good about giving you flights that work for you.

Figure out what you want (within reason) then call and be nice.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course, the airline would prefer that you stick with that carrier, so they're likely to be good about giving you flights that work for you.
The airline, yes, but not necessary the agent. It's fewer clicks to request a refund than it is to rebook a customer.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Research your options, then call. This is much more likely to be successful if you know what you want before you call. UA should (1) move you to your desired flights, and (2) open R so you can clear the upgrades.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have a LUX-MUC-LHR-IAD Business Saver reward booked for December. LUX-MUC and MUC-LHR got moved later so now I have a 45 minute connection in LHR which I think is far too short. There are no other Saver options from LUX-IAD that day so I think I'll have to call United and convince them to open Saver Business on an alternate routing...that'll be fun.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I have a LUX-MUC-LHR-IAD Business Saver reward booked for December. LUX-MUC and MUC-LHR got moved later so now I have a 45 minute connection in LHR which I think is far too short. There are no other Saver options from LUX-IAD that day so I think I'll have to call United and convince them to open Saver Business on an alternate routing...that'll be fun.
This is why I really like schedule changes. It opens the door for routings that weren't originally available. Wouldn't it be great if your new routing eliminated the double connection, while keeping you in business?
Old May 25, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Call back and ask them to open up inventory to make the change. If the agent can't/won't so it, ask for a supervisor.
Passing on thanks from my friends. This worked, and you have been elevated to deity status in their minds.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:09 am

What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund? I have a booking with a leg that switched from Shuttle America to Republic Airways. The flight times and aircraft are the same. I'd like to ultimately shift my dates a bit, and I'm thinking it might be easier to request a refund and rebook than try to convince them for a fee-free change.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by VGplay
What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund? I have a booking with a leg that switched from Shuttle America to Republic Airways. The flight times and aircraft are the same. I'd like to ultimately shift my dates a bit, and I'm thinking it might be easier to request a refund and rebook than try to convince them for a fee-free change.
Edit - I originally thought that this would qualify for a refund, but after reading some other stuff I'm not sure anymore, so I'll leave it someone else.

Last edited by Taoyuan; May 30, 2016 at 12:30 am
Old May 30, 2016, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Edit - I originally thought that this would qualify for a refund, but after reading some other stuff I'm not sure anymore, so I'll leave it someone else.
Sounds like we were looking in the same places. I couldn't find a straight answer, even though the CoC considers a change of carrier a schedule change. Maybe I'll just call, hopefully I won't get a note on my reservation if unsuccessful.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Schedule Change on LH Codeshare Flight

(Note - did not receive an email with the change from UA FWIW)

I was originally scheduled to depart NBO on Saturday, November 12th on LH591 (UA8730) - LH has since canceled that flight and when I called the UA Premier desk, I was incorrectly issued a return on LX294 departing on the 11th. When I asked to change the flight back to the 12th (the LX flight operates daily), I was told the booking code (L) is not available and I am now SOL.

What options are available to me to maintain my original departure date?
- In addition to the LX flight, I know there is a TK flight leaving on the 13th
- I suppose I can find a way to re-route via ET as well?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 764toHI

I was originally scheduled to depart NBO on Saturday, November 12th on LH591 (UA8730) - LH has since canceled that flight and when I called the UA Premier desk, I was incorrectly issued a return on LX294 departing on the 11th. When I asked to change the flight back to the 12th (the LX flight operates daily), I was told the booking code (L) is not available and I am now SOL.
Call back - denote they made a mistake in booking the 11th, and simply/firmly ask for your preferred routes. They'll work with LH to rebook even in a different fare class.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund? I have a booking with a leg that switched from Shuttle America to Republic Airways. The flight times and aircraft are the same.
I couldn't find a straight answer, even though the CoC considers a change of carrier a schedule change.
Guess it depends on what your definition of carrier is.

In my book it's United Express operated by ....

With same flight number and time I'd be surprised, but hey, you can always call ....
Old May 30, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund?
It used to be, but they seem to have removed that clause from the CoC sometime in the past year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.