Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old May 23, 16, 5:44 pm
  #826  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 34
UA schedule change any recourse

Hello all, I booked a ticket that had an original departure time of 8:55AM and a 59 min layover before my connecting flight. Now after two schedule changes from United my departure time has changed to 5:25AM and now a 4 hour and 45 min layover. Do I have any right to demand switching to different flights? I also when I booked I confirmed into R class with RPU's any right to be booked into first or is it back to economy if in fact I am allowed to switch? Thank you
Bearcat16 is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 5:48 pm
  #827  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Posts: 710
Make a phone call to UA. Tell them your problem and ask them for other options. Do it nicely. It worked well for me for our upcoming EWR-YVR trip. They actually changed us twice as schedules and aircraft changed. If you get someone who won't help on the first call, try again.
gene2632 is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 5:53 pm
  #828  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,160
Over three hours on a schedule is sufficient for DOT to mandate either being rebooked to flights with better times for you or a full refund. However, the refund option only makes sense if you can purchase flights that are better for you without spending a lot more. Of course, the airline would prefer that you stick with that carrier, so they're likely to be good about giving you flights that work for you.

Figure out what you want (within reason) then call and be nice.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 5:56 pm
  #829  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 35,016
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Of course, the airline would prefer that you stick with that carrier, so they're likely to be good about giving you flights that work for you.
The airline, yes, but not necessary the agent. It's fewer clicks to request a refund than it is to rebook a customer.
channa is offline  
Old May 23, 16, 6:06 pm
  #830  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,082
Research your options, then call. This is much more likely to be successful if you know what you want before you call. UA should (1) move you to your desired flights, and (2) open R so you can clear the upgrades.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 24, 16, 8:39 pm
  #831  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 31,474
I have a LUX-MUC-LHR-IAD Business Saver reward booked for December. LUX-MUC and MUC-LHR got moved later so now I have a 45 minute connection in LHR which I think is far too short. There are no other Saver options from LUX-IAD that day so I think I'll have to call United and convince them to open Saver Business on an alternate routing...that'll be fun.
CMK10 is offline  
Old May 24, 16, 11:16 pm
  #832  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Posts: 12,350
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I have a LUX-MUC-LHR-IAD Business Saver reward booked for December. LUX-MUC and MUC-LHR got moved later so now I have a 45 minute connection in LHR which I think is far too short. There are no other Saver options from LUX-IAD that day so I think I'll have to call United and convince them to open Saver Business on an alternate routing...that'll be fun.
This is why I really like schedule changes. It opens the door for routings that weren't originally available. Wouldn't it be great if your new routing eliminated the double connection, while keeping you in business?
zrs70 is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 8:48 am
  #833  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: BFI
Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, SBUX Gold
Posts: 1,509
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Call back and ask them to open up inventory to make the change. If the agent can't/won't so it, ask for a supervisor.
Passing on thanks from my friends. This worked, and you have been elevated to deity status in their minds.
AquaDyne is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 12:09 am
  #834  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund? I have a booking with a leg that switched from Shuttle America to Republic Airways. The flight times and aircraft are the same. I'd like to ultimately shift my dates a bit, and I'm thinking it might be easier to request a refund and rebook than try to convince them for a fee-free change.
VGplay is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 12:13 am
  #835  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: HNL
Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by VGplay View Post
What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund? I have a booking with a leg that switched from Shuttle America to Republic Airways. The flight times and aircraft are the same. I'd like to ultimately shift my dates a bit, and I'm thinking it might be easier to request a refund and rebook than try to convince them for a fee-free change.
Edit - I originally thought that this would qualify for a refund, but after reading some other stuff I'm not sure anymore, so I'll leave it someone else.

Last edited by Taoyuan; May 30, 16 at 12:30 am
Taoyuan is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 7:11 am
  #836  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by Taoyuan View Post
Edit - I originally thought that this would qualify for a refund, but after reading some other stuff I'm not sure anymore, so I'll leave it someone else.
Sounds like we were looking in the same places. I couldn't find a straight answer, even though the CoC considers a change of carrier a schedule change. Maybe I'll just call, hopefully I won't get a note on my reservation if unsuccessful.
VGplay is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 11:53 am
  #837  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Posts: 1,180
Schedule Change on LH Codeshare Flight

(Note - did not receive an email with the change from UA FWIW)

I was originally scheduled to depart NBO on Saturday, November 12th on LH591 (UA8730) - LH has since canceled that flight and when I called the UA Premier desk, I was incorrectly issued a return on LX294 departing on the 11th. When I asked to change the flight back to the 12th (the LX flight operates daily), I was told the booking code (L) is not available and I am now SOL.

What options are available to me to maintain my original departure date?
- In addition to the LX flight, I know there is a TK flight leaving on the 13th
- I suppose I can find a way to re-route via ET as well?
764toHI is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 12:01 pm
  #838  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,441
Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post

I was originally scheduled to depart NBO on Saturday, November 12th on LH591 (UA8730) - LH has since canceled that flight and when I called the UA Premier desk, I was incorrectly issued a return on LX294 departing on the 11th. When I asked to change the flight back to the 12th (the LX flight operates daily), I was told the booking code (L) is not available and I am now SOL.
Call back - denote they made a mistake in booking the 11th, and simply/firmly ask for your preferred routes. They'll work with LH to rebook even in a different fare class.
aacharya is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 1:19 pm
  #839  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,556
Originally Posted by VGplay View Post
What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund? I have a booking with a leg that switched from Shuttle America to Republic Airways. The flight times and aircraft are the same.
Originally Posted by VGplay View Post
I couldn't find a straight answer, even though the CoC considers a change of carrier a schedule change.
Guess it depends on what your definition of carrier is.

In my book it's United Express operated by ....

With same flight number and time I'd be surprised, but hey, you can always call ....
EmailKid is offline  
Old May 30, 16, 7:21 pm
  #840  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,058
Originally Posted by VGplay View Post
What is the flexibility when it comes to a United Express change of carrier? Would it be grounds to request a refund?
It used to be, but they seem to have removed that clause from the CoC sometime in the past year.
mahasamatman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: