Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old Feb 21, 16, 6:46 pm
  #766  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,587
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
No cert used for purchase. Simple one way trip to LAX in business on a 3 cabin 777. I did apply an RPU to move up to First, which is wait listed.

Not a big deal. Will check it again tomorrow. Just funny to me all the blips with United's system.
Having a waitlisted upgrade has been my other experience in having to call in to get a schedule change accepted so if you do call, ask the agent if it is the waitlisted upgraded which is preventing you from accepting the schedule change
goalie is offline  
Old Feb 22, 16, 10:00 am
  #767  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,854
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Having a waitlisted upgrade has been my other experience in having to call in to get a schedule change accepted so if you do call, ask the agent if it is the waitlisted upgraded which is preventing you from accepting the schedule change
Yep, red schedule change message came back again this morning. Called in to get it cleared. Agent didn't mention anything about the waitlisted RPU, but assured me it was all taken care of now.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 16, 6:59 am
  #768  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: KHH, FUK, SNA
Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Posts: 1,180
schedule change by few min, then can change flight dates?

On my Taiwan to Maui (Via NRT/HNL) flight ( stopover) then OGG to LAX, the OGG-LAX flight time has changed 5 min later. Does such a small schedule change allow me to make a date change without a fee? united.com is asking if I am Ok with the change (I should say it says something click here, if I am aware of the change but seems not allow online to change date?)
Taipei is offline  
Old Mar 9, 16, 8:10 am
  #769  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,191
Originally Posted by Taipei View Post
On my Taiwan to Maui (Via NRT/HNL) flight (stopover) then OGG to LAX, the OGG-LAX flight time has changed 5 min later. Does such a small schedule change allow me to make a date change without a fee?
No. Two hours is generally viewed as the minimum. Sometimes agents will grant exceptions for a shorter change if you have a good explanation why it's appropriate, but it's hard to justify that here.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 9, 16, 7:10 pm
  #770  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Posts: 8,649
Originally Posted by Taipei View Post
On my Taiwan to Maui (Via NRT/HNL) flight ( stopover) then OGG to LAX, the OGG-LAX flight time has changed 5 min later. Does such a small schedule change allow me to make a date change without a fee? united.com is asking if I am Ok with the change (I should say it says something click here, if I am aware of the change but seems not allow online to change date?)
While Kacee's advice is sound, any change on UA's part is an opening to make a change of your own.

  1. Don't accept the change.
  2. Call and request a change of date.

Keep in mind, however, that your position is exceedingly weak and you will likely fail. Still, all you have to lose is a little time.

RNE, having successfully talked my way into changes and cancellations after schedule changes of less than five minutes.
RNE is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 6:02 am
  #771  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,854
Looks like some schedule changes loaded this weekend, so you may want to check your reservations.

I had a couple, mostly beneficial, including an expanded connection time on what was originally pretty tight UAX->Intl.

Weird one involving a July HKG flight though. Schedule change notice with time of departure showing as changed...but when checking my original receipt, it is the same time as originally booked.

Everything else looks the same...flight time, arrival time, plane type, flight number, etc.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 7:08 am
  #772  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Posts: 743
I just received a schedule change notifiction - EWR IAH via BOS - now the BOS IAH segment is 2 hours later.
This is the return portion of a trip I purchased - I would be happy to cancel if I could receive any credit for it, or if there was some other way to benefit from the change.

What can I reasonably ask for? Should I call or or write? (The flights are 2 months off).
sabbasolo is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 8:17 am
  #773  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
SIN-SFO end of the year has pushed back about 25 min.
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 8:34 am
  #774  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 26,244
Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
I just received a schedule change notifiction - EWR IAH via BOS - now the BOS IAH segment is 2 hours later.
This is the return portion of a trip I purchased - I would be happy to cancel if I could receive any credit for it, or if there was some other way to benefit from the change.

What can I reasonably ask for? Should I call or or write? (The flights are 2 months off).
2 hrs is just about what it might take to get a refund. Call and tell them the new schedule does not work for you anymore and you'd like a refund. They might put you on the non-stop instead and there isn't much that you can do about it. Worth a try ...
cfischer is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 9:54 am
  #775  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Posts: 710
Oh the joy...or maybe I should say the good, the bad and the ugly....Was booked to go EWR-YVR via SFO in F. A month ago I found a schedule change and left us with a 4+ hour layover is SFO instead of the original 2 hours so I called. Before I called I ran a phantom on the trip again to see what my options are and found UA now has two non-stops a day from EWR to YVR. Agent was nice enough to to move us to the morning non-stop get our seats etc, no upcharge, no change fee. Looking at it this morning that flight is now an AB319 with only 8 seats in F and we have no seat assignments....and no seats are showing open. This is not going to end well and it points out yet again why you need to check your itineraries at least once a month.....
gene2632 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 10:04 am
  #776  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: IST/SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,539
Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
Oh the joy...or maybe I should say the good, the bad and the ugly....Was booked to go EWR-YVR via SFO in F. A month ago I found a schedule change and left us with a 4+ hour layover is SFO instead of the original 2 hours so I called. Before I called I ran a phantom on the trip again to see what my options are and found UA now has two non-stops a day from EWR to YVR. Agent was nice enough to to move us to the morning non-stop get our seats etc, no upcharge, no change fee. Looking at it this morning that flight is now an AB319 with only 8 seats in F and we have no seat assignments....and no seats are showing open. This is not going to end well and it points out yet again why you need to check your itineraries at least once a month.....
I love it when that happens. Bump compensation is usually generous for the F cabin, and you can probably talk them into rebooking you into CX F instead.
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 11:02 am
  #777  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 26,244
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
I love it when that happens. Bump compensation is usually generous for the F cabin, and you can probably talk them into rebooking you into CX F instead.
that I doubt. CX F? They will re-route UA or AC ... but not CX.
cfischer is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 11:39 am
  #778  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Posts: 621
Got a notification of schedule change, May 1 UA 617 EWR-ATL from 7pm departure to 5.20pm departure. Any chance of calling 1k desk asking for a refund of the ticket? I cannot make that flight, as its almost 2 hours earlier than I booked.
davidviolin is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 11:43 am
  #779  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,078
Originally Posted by davidviolin View Post
Any chance of calling 1k desk asking for a refund of the ticket? I cannot make that flight, as its almost 2 hours earlier than I booked.
There's always a chance. You could also move to a later flight if that fits your schedule better.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Mar 13, 16, 12:12 pm
  #780  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
There's always a chance. You could also move to a later flight if that fits your schedule better.
Does anyone know what the rules are for this? How much can they change the schedule without offering refund?
davidviolin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: