Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old Jan 9, 16, 1:12 pm

I just called while sitting here at SFO waiting for my delayed Southwest flight. One quick transfer and the agent was able to help me immediately. I suggested flight TK 80 as an alternative, and she booked it for me. Les than 10 min on the phone, kudos to UA
Old Jan 12, 16, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, UA PS, Marr Lifetime Plat
Award Ticket Schedule Change Now Misconnect

I booked Business class award space from LVI to MIA via JNB and ZRH. LVI-JNB-NBO is on SAA NBO-ZRH-MIA is on LX. After booking LX changed their departure time from NBO by 4 hours earlier. We donít get to NBO until an hour after the new flight departure time. UA tells me the only award space now available LVI-MIA is in coach so we must downgrade. There is no business flight availability showing for over a week after our scheduled departure date. I canít find anything in the CoC about schedule changes and misconnects. Am I stuck with basically starting over or is there something which might get me a reprieve? I requested to be put on the LX flight from JNB-ZRH but UA would not even request LX make the award space available due to their (LX) schedule change. Suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dabbill View Post
I booked Business class award space from LVI to MIA via JNB and ZRH. LVI-JNB-NBO is on SAA NBO-ZRH-MIA is on LX. After booking LX changed their departure time from NBO by 4 hours earlier. We donít get to NBO until an hour after the new flight departure time. UA tells me the only award space now available LVI-MIA is in coach so we must downgrade. There is no business flight availability showing for over a week after our scheduled departure date. I canít find anything in the CoC about schedule changes and misconnects. Am I stuck with basically starting over or is there something which might get me a reprieve? I requested to be put on the LX flight from JNB-ZRH but UA would not even request LX make the award space available due to their (LX) schedule change. Suggestions? Thanks.
Go to an LX ticketing office and ask them to sell JNB-ZRH in I on your record as a sked chang. Once the segment is on your PNR, then UA can ticket using the new flights.
Old Jan 13, 16, 9:25 am

Programs: DL PM MM, UA PS, Marr Lifetime Plat
Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t live near a Swiss ticket office so I called them. They said United has to request the award space. Called UA and they called Swiss while I was on hold. Swiss would only agree to space in coach. Do Swiss CoC apply or only UA? The Swiss CoC seem to allow the change business to business and they put the options as customer choice unlike the UA CoC. Hoping not to have to go there.
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dabbill View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t live near a Swiss ticket office so I called them. They said United has to request the award space. Called UA and they called Swiss while I was on hold. Swiss would only agree to space in coach. Do Swiss CoC apply or only UA? The Swiss CoC seem to allow the change business to business and they put the options as customer choice unlike the UA CoC. Hoping not to have to go there.
If LX is only willing to open X instead of I, try bringing up EU261/04 downgrade compensation.

It's quite a bit easier to do in person, so if have the opportunity to go to an LX ticketing desk anytime soon, definitely take the time to go.
Old Jan 16, 16, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
I just called while sitting here at SFO waiting for my delayed Southwest flight. One quick transfer and the agent was able to help me immediately. I suggested flight TK 80 as an alternative, and she booked it for me. Les than 10 min on the phone, kudos to UA
Well, sort of. Due to a work conflict we had to push our flights up one week. I went to change the reservation and it was not able to be pulled up online. Hum, ok so I call in. The reservation agent can find it either. On hold for just under 10 min. She comes back and says Turkish canceled all my tickets except for ORD-IST. She puts me back on hold for 15 minutes, comes back and says she is going to fix it. I tell here I want to make a change. She sounds terrified. Seriously, her reaction when I told her I wanted to change the ticket was the same as if I had just told her that Godzilla had just trashed the Golden Gate Bridge. My S/O was in the other room started laughing. She gets the dates from me for the change and back on hold. Another 15 minutes and she comes back and explained that she has to cancel my old award ticket, rebook the new one for me. I am ok with that.

In the end we got it done, I was on the phone for just over an hour. But the end result is that I was able to change my ticket with no change fees, and I even saved a few bucks as the Turkey Airport Fee on my Ticket went down.

I will be keeping a close eye on these tickets though to make sure they don't magically get cancelled again.

I am not unhappy with UA customer service, I am just glad I caught it early. How often does stuff like this happen to non-savvy travelers. They go to check in at 24 hours, or show up at the airport and find out their tickets are just gone? What do they do?
Old Jan 16, 16, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
I am not unhappy with UA customer service, I am just glad I caught it early. How often does stuff like this happen to non-savvy travelers. They go to check in at 24 hours, or show up at the airport and find out their tickets are just gone? What do they do?
They show up at the airport and are told they do not have valid tickets. Occasionally they post their stories in this forum, and 25% of the people who respond claim it is their fault, not UA's.

Best practice with a *A partner award is to confirm with the partner that you are actually ticketed. Or at least check the ticket on the Saudia site. Saudia.
Old Jan 16, 16, 10:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Sked change for SFO-LIH 757 in April broke the MCT from YVR.

Auto rebooked on a 13 hour odyssey with a double CNX through SFO & LAX and a 5 hour layover.

This itin is going to change some more!
Old Jan 30, 16, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
UA changes to impossible connection - can I request non-stop?

Hello

I booked (via the UA website) a saver award in C about a month ago, from LHR->SFO. The non-stop was not available as a saver award, so I booked a connection via Vancouver BC, flights provided by AC on both legs.

I've just received an email that they've changed the flights, and now the Vancouver to San Francisco flight departs an hour before my LHR->Vancouver flight arrives - ie an impossible connection!

With an award ticket, am I now able to get a non-stop (or other connection) for this trip, where a saver award may not otherwise be available?

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 16, 6:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by StingWest View Post
am I now able to get a non-stop (or other connection) for this trip, where a saver award may not otherwise be available?
If it's on United metal, yes. United can't force inventory on partners, but they're good about opening up their own inventory for cases like this.
Old Jan 31, 16, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by StingWest View Post
With an award ticket, am I now able to get a non-stop (or other connection) for this trip, where a saver award may not otherwise be available?
Just to report back on this, I called and after 30 minutes on hold, the agent came back and said that she'd changed me from the Air Canada connection to the United non-stop! (the non-stop had not shown as available on a saver award) SO, I'm happy..
Old Jan 31, 16, 10:46 pm

Got a schedule change for July in paid first that made a 3 hour connection in Denver into a 39 minute connection. Um, no.

The United website won't let me change the flights myself, so I have to call.

I check flights and I'm going to have to go from one connection to two, as there are no other one connection flights on that day on that route (FAT-TPA).

30 minutes on hold, get an agent, tell her my schedule changed and I'm not comfortable with a 39 minute connection in Denver, and what flights I want to get on. She says, "but that will add a connection." I said, "yes I know, is that a problem?" She says, "why would you want to add a connection?"

Me, a little incredulous (perhaps naively so), "because there are no other one-stop flights on that route on that day except the one with the 39 minute connection, unless you can see something I can't."

She puts me on hold for 5 minutes and finally comes back and says there are no other one-stop flights that day.

Since this trip isn't for several months yet, I have a feeling I'll be doing this again.
Old Feb 11, 16, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hertz PC; SPG P; HH G
Outbound departure airport involuntarily changed on *A award ticket but not inbound

I'm flying JFK-SIN this summer booked on award tickets for myself and my son. I received an email from UA on Tuesday that my itinerary had been changed and need advice on how to improve my situation.

We were scheduled to depart from JFK to YYZ on AC, connecting to YYZ-NRT also on AC, then NRT-SIN on NH. Returning SIN-ICN-JFK on OZ. All travel in business.

It appears that AC canceled their JFK-YYZ service for the day we were scheduled (possibly altogether?) and they have now re-routed us LGA-YYZ. If I lived in NYC, this would be no problem having a different departure and return, but as I'll be driving up from PHL this creates a lot of difficulty for us.

If the seats were available, I'd be willing to fly PHL-YYZ and then return through JFK as planned, cabbing it to Penn Station and then taking the train home. But there aren't any saver seats available at the moment on AC PHL-YYZ that morning.

Our flight from JFK/LGA departs too early to take the train up on the day of departure otherwise I'd simply do that and then cab it to LGA.

So my question is this: if space comes available PHL-YYZ, can and will United make that change for me given the change in departure airport? I'm afraid I'm going to get caught in the trap of JFK/LGA/EWR being one city for ticketing purposes and therefore this not constituting a change justifying accommodation.

Alternatively, does United ever open award space on its own aircraft in this type of situation given that they did not cause the problem? Would they open PHL-YYZ on UA metal?

Any advice would be appreciated. Haven't dealt with this situation before and it always helps to know what to ask for before getting on the phones. Also, I dropped from 1K back to GM this year after abandoning UA for AA last winter, so I'll be dealing with whatever call center the gods throw at me.
Old Feb 11, 16, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As your post points out, for most people who drive to the airport, it's much more convenient to leave from and return to the same airport, but someone using public transportation is likely to appreciate having the more convenient choice in one direction if possible.

It would be reasonable to ask that you be rerouted to LGA on the return, but this doesn't fit with the partner flight you booked, which I presume you don't want to be changed to a connection using UA metal. It would IMO also be reasonable to ask to change your departure by a day or so in either direction so as to fly when you can leave from JFK, but UA can't force availability on AC if there isn't saver award space.

You can ask to switch to PHL. I don't know what UA would say. They can and should open award inventory on their own metal but cannot do this for partner flights.

You need to find a solution that works for you using either UA operated flights or available award inventory on partners.
Old Feb 11, 16, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You could just park at LGA and then cab back from JFK to LGA. I'm sure you know the airports are pretty close together.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: