Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old Nov 21, 15, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
While I've read wonderful things about the lounge, I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend that much time in a coach seat just to experience it
I wouldn't. BOS-IST is nearly 10 hours, then 2.5 hours back from IST-FRA. Versus 7 hours on LH (or 1 hour more on UA via EWR/IAD).
Old Nov 29, 15, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Seems like maybe there were a couple tweaks loaded into the system yesterday (it always seems to be Saturday morning when I discover any changes). My SFO-EWR flight in late May got pushed an hour back, so I called in to see what luck I would have on adjusting my entire PDX-EWR leg. First time I called in, I tried to change to PDX-DEN-EWR leaving earlier, but agent said no to that (which I think made sense - would have been a ~3.5hr change of departure earlier). Then I asked about simply moving to the PDX-SFO departure leaving an hour later, and I was also told no. The agent then said that her supervisor told her that 'schedule changes happen every 8-9 weeks anyways' and, in effect, why even bother now? Aside from being false (I see schedule changes more frequently), it seemed rather dismissive to tell me why bother...I would rather lock in the flights that I want now and change, if needed, further down the line.

HUACA, got an agent who pushed me to the later PDX-SFO flight with no questions asked - very pleasant guy. I decided not to try my luck on PDX-DEN-EWR but may give it another go if/when I get another schedule change that pushes the SFO departure (currently @ 3 PM) even further back (as I feel like the scheduling for p.s. flights becomes a bit sparser on holiday weekends).
Old Nov 29, 15, 1:59 pm

Need Guidance Please

Decided to treat myself and fly business class on a multi city International trip. I booked a couple of days ago and just found that United changed equipment on my first (2hr, United Express) leg from ELP to IAH. Now, only one class of service. Also, they removed the meal option for my red eye from IAH to UIO (5:35PM - 11:00PM)

I have not 'accepted' this change in the hopes of finding a cyber Monday smokin' deal.... But, I doubt there will be one for a flight not leaving for 6 months

United set an expectation and now I feel like I am getting less

So, my questions are these:

**Should I not worry about it since the equipment can change again during the 6 month window (went from CRJ 700 tp ERJ-135/145)
**Should I 'accept' change and ask for compensation as I am getting less for my money?
**Right now Matrix is showing a longer trip (layover) where I would leave ELP earlier with the same class of svc (P) it is showing the first leg on an RJ-700 - but that might change....

What is my best course of action

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited by service1010; Nov 29, 15 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 29, 15, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was this an award ticket or did you buy it?

If you bought it, you can ask for a refund in the difference between the First and Coach cost between ELP and IAH. You won't get any compensation beyond that.

If it was an award ticket, you won't get compensation because you're still flying Int'l Business to Quito.

It's likely you'll get compensation for the lack of meal if you decide to take the flight. Obviously, you can't ask for compensation until after the flight actually occurs.

You can cancel your trip if you don't want to fly coach to Houston or have a meal to Quito.

A 5:35 departure landing at 11pm is not a redeye. There will probably be a meal - why do you say there isn't?

Don't expect a "Cyber Monday" deal.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 29, 15 at 2:16 pm
Old Nov 29, 15, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by service1010 View Post
...Also, they removed the meal option for my red eye from IAH to UIO (5:35PM - 11:00PM) ...
That is likely a website error --- that flight will have dinner in BF.

..I have not 'accepted' this change in the hopes of finding a cyber Monday smokin' deal..
few airlines do cyberMonday and UA has never done cyberMonday

...Should I not worry about it since the equipment can change again during the 6 month window (went from CRJ 700 tp ERJ-135/145) ..
can happen but who does?
...**Should I 'accept' change and ask for compensation as I am getting less for my money? ...
you can ask but nothing is going to happen
...**What is my best course of action - the other United flight options are significantly longer so really not feasible. ...
for that short of flight from ELP, if the IAH-UIO flight is your preferred option, it is what it is.

You could call UA and have them remove the ELP flight, look for alternative travel and ask for a refund -- likely nothing - actually UA will ask for more money. The flight is cheaper as ELP-IAH-UIO than IAH-UIO

The other option if no other UA flight works is to cancel (should be no fee) and find alternative transportation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 15 at 2:18 pm Reason: IAH not IAG
Old Nov 29, 15, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also, they removed the meal option for my red eye from IAH to UIO (5:35PM - 11:00PM)
There will be a meal from IAH to UIO.
Old Nov 29, 15, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Was this an award ticket or did you buy it?

If you bought it, you can ask for a refund in the difference between the First and Coach cost between ELP and IAH. You won't get any compensation beyond that.

If it was an award ticket, you won't get compensation because you're still flying Int'l Business to Quito.

It's likely you'll get compensation for the lack of meal if you decide to take the flight. Obviously, you can't ask for compensation until after the flight actually occurs.

You can cancel your trip if you don't want to fly coach to Houston or have a meal to Quito.

A 5:35 departure landing at 11pm is not a redeye. There will probably be a meal - why do you say there isn't?

Don't expect a "Cyber Monday" deal.
Thanks for your quick reply!

I bought the ticket.

Hmmm, not sure why I thought no dinner..... Maybe I was thinking no snacks on the first leg now that only 1 class of service. I did get confused about the red eye which is the return from LIM. My apologies.

Just curious - why bother to make a change to equipment so far out?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
That is likely a website error --- that flight will have dinner in BF.

few airlines do cyberMonday and UA has never done cyberMonday

can happen but who does?
you can ask but nothing is going to happen
for that short of flight from ELP, if the IAH-UIO flight is your preferred option, it is what it is.

You could call UA and have them remove the ELP flight, look for alternative travel and ask for a refund -- likely nothing - actually UA will ask for more money. The flight is cheaper as ELP-IAH-UIO than IAH-UIO

The other option if no other UA flight works is to cancel (should be no fee) and find alternative transportation.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
There will be a meal from IAH to UIO.
You are right. I messed up on that one..... It really is no snacks on the 2 hr, single class flight (hey, I want my beer!)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 15 at 2:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quote
Old Nov 29, 15, 2:34 pm

Just curious - why bother to make a change to equipment so far out?
They often reshuffle equipment as schedules are updated.

You can ask to change to one of the flights that's still got an F cabin.

But there's a decent chance you'll see more equipment changes on that ELP-IAH segment if you're six months out.
Old Nov 29, 15, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
They often reshuffle equipment as schedules are updated.

You can ask to change to one of the flights that's still got an F cabin.

But there's a decent chance you'll see more equipment changes on that ELP-IAH segment if you're six months out.
Again, I appreciate your guidance
Old Nov 29, 15, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Is a change of originating city possible due to schedule change?

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Here is my original reservation for next February, RIC-EWR-SFO-Asia. I was waitlisted for EWR-SFO BF seat with GPU on W fare. I got the BF seat for SFO-Asia flight. The recent United schedule changes cancelled the ~6:00 am RIC-EWR flight (the later flight will misconnect the rest of flights) and rerouted me through IAD, i.e., RIC-IAD-SFO-Asia. There is no R space for IAD-SFO flight now and this flight only has the standard United First seat. What is the chance of success that CSR will open up R spaces for me due to the fact that I originally book a flight with BF upgrade possibility (ps 28 BF seats on B757)? How hard do I have to fight for it?

My alternative is to overnight at EWR and reroute to EWR-LAX-Asia or EWR-LAX-SFO-Asia. EWR-LAX flights have R spaces available (and BF seats) now, but EWR-SFO flights do not.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
United made more changes on my connection flights between RIC and SFO in both directions. I booked RIC-EWR-SFO-Asia-SFO-EWR-RIC. The originally booked 6:00 am RIC-EWR flight and the late evening EWR-RIC flight were canceled; i.e., no longer on the schedule. If I want to keep both EWR-SFO and SFO-EWR ps flights, a switch to a nearby airport (ORF) will work. Will UA allow such a change of originating city? I have not called UA yet because the flights are still more than two months away. It is likely that the schedule may be changed again. The primary reason that I want to keep EWR-SFO-EWR flights is that the inbound SFO-EWR flight has cleared upgrade, along with SFO-Asia-SFO flights. Thank you for your advice.
Old Nov 29, 15, 5:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
If I want to keep both EWR-SFO and SFO-EWR ps flights, a switch to a nearby airport (ORF) will work. Will UA allow such a change of originating city?
If the changes make your original itinerary untenable, you should have no problem.
Old Nov 29, 15, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm often curious about the protocol after a series of sched changes...

If the first change pushes my departure by 1 hour, and a second change pushed it an additional hour, does United go by the total change or the incremental change in terms of seeking a cancel and refund?

Mind you, UA has always, always, been very reasonable with me, even with minor changes. Just curious as to protocol.
Old Nov 29, 15, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post

If the first change pushes my departure by 1 hour, and a second change pushed it an additional hour, does United go by the total change or the incremental change in terms of seeking a cancel and refund?

Mind you, UA has always, always, been very reasonable with me, even with minor changes. Just curious as to protocol.
I have been able to successfully point out the 'original' schedule before when an agent gave me some grief with a 45 minute schedule change. Took a supervisor but I was able to get a free change because it was 3 hours based on the original itinerary.
Old Nov 29, 15, 8:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
As with most customer service questions, it all depends on who you talk with.
Old Nov 29, 15, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
I had a schedule change get pushed to an itinerary I have in Dec/Jan (the Jan flights changed). Oddly I have no warning on United.com of a schedule change when I pull up the itinerary or any notification from UA. After reading this thread the no notification seems par for the course. But I have never seen the website not show a big red warning when a schedule change occurs and asking the user to accept the new schedule.

My departing LGA flight was pushed back 21 minutes. Fine with me. Cuts down on my ORD connection. But no notification stinks. I would have shown up for the earlier flight time had I not noticed it myself looking at EF data.

-RM

Search this Thread
Search Engine: