Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Well done! Be sure to get your duck, whatever lounge you use. Hopefully it will be a Christmas duck. I'm both jealous and happy for you.
Thank you, ma'am.
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Walk to B! IME, it takes no more time than walking to Z, and then they'll drive you to your plane at Z. Otherwise you have to board in the disaster that is LH boarding F, J, and *A gold all at once.
I always have trouble leaving from the FCL in B. Yes, they drive me over, but then we have to walk half-over Z creation to find someone to do a secondary screening. It's not worth it. FCL-A is fine ... and you know, at least on the flights when I've been booked, they call F first anyway. It's not the typical cluster.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Thank you, ma'am.
I always have trouble leaving from the FCL in B. Yes, they drive me over, but then we have to walk half-over Z creation to find someone to do a secondary screening. It's not worth it. FCL-A is fine ... and you know, at least on the flights when I've been booked, they call F first anyway. It's not the typical cluster.
Interesting. In the ~5 or so times I've done the B>Z via limo this year, I've never once had to do any additional secondary screening. But enjoy either way - the ground service is obviously only a small part of the LH F experience.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I won't get to use the limo transfer. I do not have enough time in FRA to get over to the FCT ... and coming from HAM, my flights always come in at a gate. Unless there is a hella snow storm, there is no way the HAM flights arrived at an apron position. I can deal without the limo .... this time!
HAM based SEN here.. Let me assure you that HAM flights do arrive at apron positions, even on normal ops days. Been there, done that... So there's still hope.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:33 pm

Will UA let me change the routing of a saver award ticket on Air Canada because of an equipment change? I booked LAX-YYZ-FCO and AC just changed the TATL equipment from a 333 to a high density 77W. There is a LAX-YUL-FCO routing with the 333 but it doesn't show up as an available flight (saver or standard) in the UA search engine. This ticket is for next July and I do not have status with United.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by runchadrun
Will UA let me change the routing of a saver award ticket on Air Canada because of an equipment change? I booked LAX-YYZ-FCO and AC just changed the TATL equipment from a 333 to a high density 77W. There is a LAX-YUL-FCO routing with the 333 but it doesn't show up as an available flight (saver or standard) in the UA search engine. This ticket is for next July and I do not have status with United.
UA can not open award space on an AC flight, so unless AC opens up the award space, there is nothing UA can do.

In general a change of equipment is not a reason to waive fees. A change in carrier - yes, equipment - no.
However, UA has been know to waive fees (for its own flights) where there was a significant change in equipment -- such as lie flat seats to non-lie flat seats.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
EI flight on 016 stock cancelled. Reschedule advice...

I booked a flight on Ual.com for an Aer Lingus revenue ticket (US-Europe). Booked in J.

EI cancelled the outbound flight - they no longer operate that day.

I called UA. They offered a refund or s rebooking on UA. Sounds reasonable. But the UA schedule doesn't work.

I suggested the code-share on LX.

No dice, they said. Must be either UA or EI metal.

Does this sound right?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, that sounds about right. UA will force open award space to rebook you on their own metal but they generally will not force open award space to rebook you on partner metal after a schedule change.

If the offered schedule does not work, you should feel free to propose some other alternative on a combination of UA metal + partner space which *is* available for award booking.

If there's a day-of-departure cancellation, the operating carrier may rebook you with more flexibility, but in advance, the ticketing carrier (UA) handles rebooking.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Perhaps if you shared your former itinerary and other scheduling requirements, others here could offer rebooking advice that would work for you.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Yeah, that sounds about right. UA will force open award space to rebook you on their own metal but they generally will not force open award space to rebook you on partner metal after a schedule change.

If the offered schedule does not work, you should feel free to propose some other alternative on a combination of UA metal + partner space which *is* available for award booking.

If there's a day-of-departure cancellation, the operating carrier may rebook you with more flexibility, but in advance, the ticketing carrier (UA) handles rebooking.
It's not award travel, its revenue J. So it's not about forcing open space.

original flight was lax-dub-Lhr, departing at 750pm. I can't take the UA nonstop to Lhr at 545, as I need a later departure. So I thought the LX/UA codeshare via ZRH might work.

Was excited, as the EI flight was to be the inaugural. But it was postponed by a day.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by zrs70
I booked a flight on Ual.com for an Aer Lingus revenue ticket (US-Europe). Booked in J.

EI cancelled the outbound flight - they no longer operate that day.

I called UA. They offered a refund or s rebooking on UA. Sounds reasonable. But the UA schedule doesn't work.

I suggested the code-share on LX.

No dice, they said. Must be either UA or EI metal.

Does this sound right?
Originally Posted by mherdeg
What does award space have to do with a revenue J ticket?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G
United Schedule change

I booked a flight for 4 passengers on united to south America. We fly to IAH first and then to our destination. Initially our flight departed at 11.30 am, 2h25min layover in IAH and then on to the next flight arriving at the final destination at 11.35pm, so about 12h total travel time. I booked it from an airport 90 min away (BHM) instead of my local airport (HSV) because it was a better deal and I have to park at the airport anyway.

Yesterday I received and email from united saying that my initial flight (BMH-IAH) schedule has changed and we now depart at 6.05 am, have a 7h50min layover in IAH and reach our destination at 11.35pm, now 17h total travel time.

I understand schedules usually change +/- 10-30 min but 5 h seems a bit much and it would mean we'll have to get up really early or spend the night there.

Before I call United and ask for an explanation I wanted to check here and see what my options are. Should I just let this go or should I ask for something?

I looked at flights to IAH from the original booking airport (BHM) and that is the only flight that day that would make it to IAH in time for the connecting flight. There is a flight from my local airport around the same time (6am) and if they would allow me to change the departing airport (for the whole trip) it could save me a few hours of sleep/hotel room. Also, I can find a more convenient schedule for the flight on a different airline now that this 17h trip sucks, I don't know if they would let me cancel this trip and get tickets in a different carrier.

Are there any regulations/rules for this kind of changes? Has anyone had a similar situation? Any thoughts on this? I have premier gold status with united which is why I decided to book with them, if that makes a difference.

Thank you for any advice.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. wj35802
Originally Posted by wj35802
I understand schedules usually change +/- 10-30 min but 5 h seems a bit much and it would mean we'll have to get up really early or spend the night there.

Before I call United and ask for an explanation I wanted to check here and see what my options are. Should I just let this go or should I ask for something? ...
Your options
-- Cancel and full refund with no fees
-- work out a better schedule / routing option -- and there should be no change fees

...I looked at flights to IAH from the original booking airport (BHM) and that is the only flight that day that would make it to IAH in time for the connecting flight. There is a flight from my local airport around the same time (6am) and if they would allow me to change the departing airport (for the whole trip) it could save me a few hours of sleep/hotel room. ...
Change of the routing (but staying on UA) is reasonable option and UA will likely accept the request (with no change fee)

... I can find a more convenient schedule for the flight on a different airline now that this 17h trip sucks, I don't know if they would let me cancel this trip and get tickets in a different carrier. ...
cancellation of the UA itin with no fees is a valid option

...Are there any regulations/rules for this kind of changes? Has anyone had a similar situation? Any thoughts on this? ...
The contract you have with UA (Contract of Carriage) lays out the options, in the USA there is no formal DoT rules other than the airline must follow the CoC.

This thread has been similar situations and in general the response has been is UA is willing to work with you within their schedule or allow you to cancel to choose other non-UA options.

Schedule changes can be a pain but also present opportunities to change the itin -- and not just the initial flight.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:16 am

Travel plan ruined due to schedule changes

My sister and I booked our Christmas travel back in August, figuring the flight prices wouldn't get much better. We'd be leaving the night of Christmas Eve and returning on Sunday. Since then, we've received two "Schedule Change Notifications" and the departure time has now been moved up 3 hours and 20 minutes earlier. We're both working that day so we probably won't be able to make that.

Even if they waive the $200 change fee (which oddly does not show as an option online-- did I accidentally "accept" the 1st change? Don't remember), switching to the one later United flight that night makes the price significantly more expensive. Same with flying on Christmas Day itself. There's no chance they'd waive the difference in flight price too, right?

At this point it seems that if we can't somehow get off work that day we'll have to just cancel the trip home for Christmas. It's kind of a bummer. Am I missing something, or is this just an unfortunate outcome that can't be fixed? Also note that the changed flight is actually "ExpressJet Airlines Inc. dba United Express" if that makes a difference.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Tacony Palmyra
My sister and I booked our Christmas travel back in August, figuring the flight prices wouldn't get much better. We'd be leaving the night of Christmas Eve and returning on Sunday. Since then, we've received two "Schedule Change Notifications" and the departure time has now been moved up 3 hours and 20 minutes earlier. We're both working that day so we probably won't be able to make that.

Even if they waive the $200 change fee (which oddly does not show as an option online-- did I accidentally "accept" the 1st change? Don't remember), switching to the one later United flight that night makes the price significantly more expensive. Same with flying on Christmas Day itself. There's no chance they'd waive the difference in flight price too, right?

At this point it seems that if we can't somehow get off work that day we'll have to just cancel the trip home for Christmas. It's kind of a bummer. Am I missing something, or is this just an unfortunate outcome that can't be fixed? Also note that the changed flight is actually "ExpressJet Airlines Inc. dba United Express" if that makes a difference.
You do not have to accept the change. Even if you did, call up and work with the agent to find a time that works for you. There will be no fees nor fare changes since UA initiated the change. Even if you did accept the change online, if you call up and act like a reasonable person you can usually get where you want to go, especially for far out travel.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Tacony Palmyra this is not a problem, don't worry.

Go on line, UA.com or Google Flights....whatever and find flights that you want on United that are at or around your original flight times.

Call UA, tell them the changes do not work for you and when they ask what works for you, or offer to look at changes just politely suggest the [new] flights you found.

Your travel is not ruined. Happy Holidays!

Update: Check out this thread too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ne-2015-a.html

Last edited by Madone59; Nov 19, 2015 at 10:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.