Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
What I would do is wait till day of trip and then just switch to direct if 1st leg looks delayed. And then claim ORC. There is also a good chance schedule changes again and connection becomes safer.
Thanks for the suggestion - that seems the perfect fit for my risk-profile...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sethb
You're not that likely to get ORC on a voluntary request to change, even if it's based on an apparent delay.
I've done this and gotten ORC, and I switched to DL to fly the leg instead.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Once you're delayed enough that you most likely miss the last connection that day - then the change is involuntary by definition. Whether you request the change or you just take what they give you doesn't affect getting ORC credit. Of course there is a grey area if the possibility exists that you might make the connection, but the words invol reroute have never failed to work for me.
Once you are delayed, sure. But that's not "looks delayed".

I've had an airline tell me that my flight was going to take off on time, in five minutes, when the inbound plane wasn't even under ATC control of the airport I was at (and they weren't sure it had even taken off from the previous airport). That airline no longer exists.

I have no doubt that COdbaUA is capable of claiming a flight is on time when there is no chance that it will be. Whether they consider a change at that time to be "voluntary" is up to them.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Once you are delayed, sure. But that's not "looks delayed".

I've had an airline tell me that my flight was going to take off on time, in five minutes, when the inbound plane wasn't even under ATC control of the airport I was at (and they weren't sure it had even taken off from the previous airport). That airline no longer exists.

I have no doubt that COdbaUA is capable of claiming a flight is on time when there is no chance that it will be. Whether they consider a change at that time to be "voluntary" is up to them.
Well I can definitely vouch for your last sentence, I was flying on the 787 IAH-DEN (that continues onto Tokyo). The 787 was delayed in IAH by at first 45 minutes, and then an hour and a half, and all the meanwhile the DEN-NRT schedule didn't change (according to the UA app and Flightpro app). Of course it ended up being delayed about an hour. The only way you would have known this is if you used the "where is my plane coming from" feature on the app.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Schedule change. redeposit miles for free?

Hi

I'm now a lowly silver, so it will cost $125 per ticket to redeposit miles.

United changed my Christmas day flights so I spend 15 hours in lax!

What's the best way to cancel the tickets without fee?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi

I'm now a lowly silver, so it will cost $125 per ticket to redeposit miles.

United changed my Christmas day flights so I spend 15 hours in lax!

What's the best way to cancel the tickets without fee?
How much was the original scedule changed? If you were originally spending 14.5 hours in lax, you will likely pay the fee. If you were spending less than 13 hours in lax, no fee.

Do you no longer want to travel at all?
If you do want to travel, I would research other flights that UA can rebook you on.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:10 am
Suspended

Thanks. The increase in wait time is 2 hours and 10 minutes. Is there a rule that says if the schedule change is greater than 2 hours I can get my points back for free? If so a pointer would be great.

Also, the reschedule notice says,"We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Rest assured that your reservation remains valid, and if you do not wish to make additional changes, no action is needed based on this email."

Doesn't this imply I have an out?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, you have two outs:

1. Rerouting. You may propose other routings to UA. As this is an award ticket, the routing will need to be on *A. UA can force award space on its own metal and request, but not force space on other *A carriers' metal.

2. Cancel fro a full refund - Whether cash or miles, you may cancel for a full penalty-fee refund. To do this, call UA and note the 2:10 change and ask for a cancellation & refund based on that.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:18 am

where are you trying to get to and from?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, you have two outs:

1. Rerouting. You may propose other routings to UA. As this is an award ticket, the routing will need to be on *A. UA can force award space on its own metal and request, but not force space on other *A carriers' metal.

2. Cancel fro a full refund - Whether cash or miles, you may cancel for a full penalty-fee refund. To do this, call UA and note the 2:10 change and ask for a cancellation & refund based on that.
So UA were great and allowed be to use option 2. No questions asked, very apologetic. Thank God for the US based call center reps, they really get it.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1k
Had a recent schedule change for my parents flying FAY-IAD-SFO around Christmas time. The agent was very helpful and moved them to the direct RDU-SFO flight in both directions. They were upgraded in one direction with my miles on the original flight, but the agent said she could not open R inventory to upgrade the new flights. Does this seem consistent or should I try again with CS? There are at least 9/16 seats still open on the flight.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by SFO28L
Had a recent schedule change for my parents flying FAY-IAD-SFO around Christmas time. The agent was very helpful and moved them to the direct RDU-SFO flight in both directions. They were upgraded in one direction with my miles on the original flight, but the agent said she could not open R inventory to upgrade the new flights. Does this seem consistent or should I try again with CS? There are at least 9/16 seats still open on the flight.
Think there is more to the story -- how severe was the initial change of flights? Did you ask the agent to find another routing that would've kept them in F? Doubt they can open up inventory, but if it is the case that this was the only alternative United suggested, then I would think it's reasonable to escalate.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1k
Schedule change resulted in arrival at SFO 4 hours later than original schedule. No options from FAY with F. I offered to move them to RDU but no options from there either. Its not a big deal, and I would think there is a small chance R will open up at some point but curious what others would do in this situation.

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Think there is more to the story -- how severe was the initial change of flights? Did you ask the agent to find another routing that would've kept them in F? Doubt they can open up inventory, but if it is the case that this was the only alternative United suggested, then I would think it's reasonable to escalate.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by SFO28L
Schedule change resulted in arrival at SFO 4 hours later than original schedule. No options from FAY with F. I offered to move them to RDU but no options from there either. Its not a big deal, and I would think there is a small chance R will open up at some point but curious what others would do in this situation.
Got it. Not sure what the rules are but the correct answer here would have been for United to find/open up space on a reasonable alternative flight. Now that they've "done you a favor" with the non-stop I think it's harder to demand they get you into F, but think you were on solid ground to hold out initially.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Doubt they can open up inventory, but if it is the case that this was the only alternative United suggested, then I would think it's reasonable to escalate.
They can open inventory. It requires supervisor approval. They've always done it for me as 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.