Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Thanks everyone for the feedback - I'll check on if it's a code share and go from there. I didn't realize it was Rouge. Will investigate that too. This ticket was the best of the bunch - quite reasonable really - $1100 from NYC-YVR in J on ps through SFO. It'll be annoying to have the 2hr+ schd change. So hopefully I can get them to come around.
If you don't need the UA miles, you may want to consider both Cathay and Philippine Airlines, who both fly the route on much nicer aircraft.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
If you don't need the UA miles, you may want to consider both Cathay and Philippine Airlines, who both fly the route on much nicer aircraft.
The CX flight to JFK costs a lot more than UA in J. Don't know about PR.

Regarding the AC options, the non-stop flight EWR-YVR is not Rouge, but I think that operates in the evenings. The SFO-YVR flights on AC are Rouge. They are apparently getting better, but I still haven't had the nerve to try one.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
This is hilarious - you guys make it sounds like a flying prison! I'm def going to have to google a trip report about this now.

Agreed that PR and CX would be interesting - PR for the novelty and CX for the lux. The thing is, not only are they much more expensive, 3 or 4 times more, they also involve a red eye, and as much as CX may have nice cirrus seats and PR have that weird overlapping J thing going on, a day flight on UA and a nights sleep at home is preferable.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:33 pm

Schedule Change for Future Flight

I just received an email from UA regarding a schedule change for my future flight. While I don't hold any status with UA, arguing seems to be difficult to me. Anyways, they basically notify me that my departure time was changed from 5:45 am to 5:40 am and my final arrival time was changed from 2:54 pm to 4:43 pm (1 stops in both cases). Originally, I was hoping that I can ask them to refund my miles and I'll purchase a direct flight instead. However, the arrival time difference is less than 2hr, they refused to refund my miles (award ticket). Also, they can't offer any better flight schedule from UA operated flights. I wonder whether 2 hr rule is actually "REAL" and is there anything else I can do with it. Thanks !
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
I just received an email from UA regarding a schedule change for my future flight. While I don't hold any status with UA, arguing seems to be difficult to me. Anyways, they basically notify me that my departure time was changed from 5:45 am to 5:40 am and my final arrival time was changed from 2:54 pm to 4:43 pm (1 stops in both cases). Originally, I was hoping that I can ask them to refund my miles and I'll purchase a direct flight instead. However, the arrival time difference is less than 2hr, they refused to refund my miles (award ticket). Also, they can't offer any better flight schedule from UA operated flights. I wonder whether 2 hr rule is actually "REAL" and is there anything else I can do with it. Thanks !
Is the connection city a different city?
Was there a change of carrier (from United to United Express?)

I have found UA to be very accommodating, even when it's under two hours. Whatever you do, don't escalate the call (as notes will be added to your record).

"HUCA" - Hang up and call again.

Tell them you must be somewhere by 4pm. Your daughter's wedding. Your grandson's graduation. Whatever!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Originally, I was hoping that I can ask them to refund my miles and I'll purchase a direct flight instead. However, the arrival time difference is less than 2hr, they refused to refund my miles (award ticket). Also, they can't offer any better flight schedule from UA operated flights. ...
direct flight is not UA offering?

...I wonder whether 2 hr rule is actually "REAL" and is there anything else I can do with it. Thanks !
There is no two hour rule -- it is a common practice (and was a rule many years ago).

Usually if there is an alternative UA option, UA is fairly generous on flight changes --- even small ones. But full refunds will usually take more a significant, > 2 hours to get a full refund.

You can also try another agent and might get lucky.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Is the connection city a different city?
Was there a change of carrier (from United to United Express?)

I have found UA to be very accommodating, even when it's under two hours. Whatever you do, don't escalate the call (as notes will be added to your record).

"HUCA" - Hang up and call again.

Tell them you must be somewhere by 4pm. Your daughter's wedding. Your grandson's graduation. Whatever!
it was connecting at DEN and now IAH
yes the second leg was changed from UA to UAEx

haha well I'm afraid they will put me in midnight flights :P
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
direct flight is not UA offering?

There is no two hour rule -- it is a common practice (and was a rule many years ago).

Usually if there is an alternative UA option, UA is fairly generous on flight changes --- even small ones. But full refunds will usually take more a significant, > 2 hours to get a full refund.

You can also try another agent and might get lucky.
well if we consider the differences in trip duration, I'm "ALMOST" like really really close to 2hrs ........
I'll try and call again thanks !
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:07 pm
RNE

Call back. Explain that an arrival later than 3:30 p.m. will make you miss your daughter's recital. Ask for a redeposit of miles (without a redeposit fee) and a refund of all fees paid. If the rep balks, politely insist upon speaking to a supervisor. Don't give up. You have a good shot.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Worth checking your reservations this AM...found a few loaded into my schedule, even ones that were not flagged. Got routed to SBA via SFO with a 31-minute connection late at night...have to get that one fixed. If we are even a tad late getting out of EWR we will misconnect and then I am SOL on the nonrefundable hotel night down in Santa Barbara.

Of course, there is no R space on any of these flights now, even though there was when I originally booked. 2nd phone agent so far and getting an unequivocal 'we cannot change this'. Asked them kindly to check with the supervisor to see. Still not thrilled given my original booking was for the late 9 PM flight out originally to avoid any issues leaving work and now I am looking at a 6 PM departure...

ETA: Now I'm pissed...the first phone agent made changes without me confirming and changed my flight so that I am now on the waitlist back after having confirmed with an RPU 6 months ago.

ETA x2: Ended up getting that fixed...supervisor for the second agent got the upgrade back, and now I am on all the correct flights. Still not thrilled about leaving so early on Friday, but at this point I don't really have a choice given the hotel reservation is locked in.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Oct 24, 2015 at 6:55 am
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:59 am

Emails re schedule changes

This thread often has comments "I received an email from UA re a schedule change." In a quarter century of M+ I have never once, ever, received a schedule change email. Is this an Olympic record, or do I have some buried setting wrong? I certainly do get booking confirmation emails and numerous ad emails from UA. As a maniacal FT member, of course, it hardly matters, as I check seat assignments almost daily anyway.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Starman
This thread often has comments "I received an email from UA re a schedule change." In a quarter century of M+ I have never once, ever, received a schedule change email. Is this an Olympic record, or do I have some buried setting wrong? I certainly do get booking confirmation emails and numerous ad emails from UA. As a maniacal FT member, of course, it hardly matters, as I check seat assignments almost daily anyway.
I have never received an email either. Ironically enough, I received an email from ANA alerting me to a schedule change on a flight I booked via NH's website that is entirely on UA metal. Of course, no notification from UA, nor even a mention of the change on the reservation in .bomb.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have never received an email either. Ironically enough, I received an email from ANA alerting me to a schedule change on a flight I booked via NH's website that is entirely on UA metal. Of course, no notification from UA, nor even a mention of the change on the reservation in .bomb.
In my many years with UA I never received an email notifying me of a schedule change, despite having tons of changes.
DL and AA have both notified me via email of schedule changes.
UA is simply tragic.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Booked a rountrip on P class DFW-ORD-LHR and noticed an eqp change on ORD-DFW with a note saying "flight segment is waitlisted", still retain seat in F but can't pull up seat map. Why is that?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by eddie1973
Booked a rountrip on P class DFW-ORD-LHR and noticed an eqp change on ORD-DFW with a note saying "flight segment is waitlisted", still retain seat in F but can't pull up seat map. Why is that?
The standard FT reply on this one is "probably an equipment change pending." However in my experience this particular peculiar wording ("waitlisted") has meant a complete cancellation of that segment from the schedule, with res usually taking one to two weeks more to change you automatically to something more inconvenient. An easy check is to try a new dummy booking on the suspicious segment. If it's not there, you know it's probably a cancellation, not equipment change. YMMV of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.