Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PBAudit
A few weeks ago, I booked on the SFO-ORD 777 flight. Several days ago, I checked my seat assignment and found that I was in an unfamiliar seat location (a seat that I never would select). I saw the 1:04 pm flight was indeed down gauged from a 777 to 739. The flight was crowded and there were only 2 FC seats available.

I looked at the schedule and saw a new, second 739 flight leaving at 1:18 pm. The plane was wide open, with plenty of FC seats. I called United Reservations and asked if I can be placed on the later flight. I explained that when I booked it was a 777 and I selected that particular flight for its upgrade chances. After a few minutes, the United agent came back and changed my reservation to leave on the later flight.

Today, I just received confirmation of an upgraded on the 1:18 pm flight (4 days out). If I had not periodically checked my reservations, and assumed everything was OK, I would have been "out of luck". By the time I checked in, the FC seats would likely been gone, and I would have to take chances with the SDC.

I never received any notification of the plane change. Nor did I receive the "Red" notification when checking my reservations (identifying and accepting change).
Exact same thing happened to me on my way back from SYD-SFO-ORD. The 777 became a 739. They had switched me sans notification.

Called them up and actually switched the SFO connection to a LAX one with a 757 with flat seats. The agent didn't bat an eye (well, I assume she didn't.)
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Exact same thing happened to me on my way back from SYD-SFO-ORD. The 777 became a 739. They had switched me sans notification.

Called them up and actually switched the SFO connection to a LAX one with a 757 with flat seats. The agent didn't bat an eye (well, I assume she didn't.)
I've had 777s appear as faux 739s on a sked change, but then when I accept the change, they return to the 777 equipment. It's hard to picture a 739 flying SYD-SFO, but I'm sure that Jeff has a team working on it.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by transportprof
I've had 777s appear as faux 739s on a sked change, but then when I accept the change, they return to the 777 equipment. It's hard to picture a 739 flying SYD-SFO, but I'm sure that Jeff has a team working on it.
The SFO-ORD was changes to a 739 not the SYD-SFO.

The 9am LAX-ORD has been sCO 757 for 2 years now. So going via LAX gives them the better seat all the way thru.

I'm suprised UA took the 777 off of ORD-SFO with such short notice. I guess they needed the aircraft. The extra flight is mostly empty on all days.

Now they have 3 ORD-SFO flights leaving within an hour of eachother. I even saw 4 on a few days.

UA please bring back my 777.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by transportprof
I got a very unusual mid-week email form UA about a sked change on a TATL booking for early December.

Turns out that LH moved their AMS-FRA flight by five minutes. This triggered an email from UA, but much bigger sked changes on UA flights never do.

This actually makes sense. If it's an OAL schedule change, then UA is acting as the agent, and they don't want to risk the carrier doing something with the space or dropping it as unconfirmed, so they confirm it as soon as possible and reissue the ticket.

On UA metal flights, there's no risk that they'll drop the flights, so they can sit on them for a while and give them a lower priority.

I've found that I do get emails on UA flights, but only after I ignore the schedule change for a while. They eventually get to them.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by channa
This actually makes sense. If it's an OAL schedule change, then UA is acting as the agent, and they don't want to risk the carrier doing something with the space or dropping it as unconfirmed, so they confirm it as soon as possible and reissue the ticket.
For once, UA does something right proactively. ^
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:43 am

I had a major stealth sked change this weekend. Original booking was BWI-EWR-YYZ on UX. New routing is BWI-ORD on UX and ORD-YYZ on UA.

Looks like UX has no BWI-EWR flights at all on some Saturdays in 2016.

I don't mind the reroute (more PQM, and one leg on mainline), but there was no notice or red highlighting on the itinerary. Nothing to suggest there had been any change in the reservation at all.

This serves as a reminder to keep an eagle eye on your bookings!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:54 pm

Flight Change Over 2 Hours Question

I have been informed that a United flight I was scheduled to go on has changed by 2 hours and 10 minutes. I am no longer interested in keeping the reservation. Am I entitled to a full refund of my fare because of the schedule change?

Furthermore, there are 2 people on the reservation. I would like to cancel, but the other person will still be taking the flight.

What is the best way to handle this situation to get a refund, assuming refunds are allowed because of the schedule change?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
I have been informed that a United flight I was scheduled to go on has changed by 2 hours and 10 minutes. I am no longer interested in keeping the reservation. Am I entitled to a full refund of my fare because of the schedule change?

Furthermore, there are 2 people on the reservation. I would like to cancel, but the other person will still be taking the flight.

What is the best way to handle this situation to get a refund, assuming refunds are allowed because of the schedule change?
Without more detail it's a little hard to give a definitive answer. You may be able to cancel depending on whether it looks to the agent like this becomes a "trip in vain".. you can explain your reasons. If this is a week long trip and there is a 2 hour change on one end..you're going to have a hard time justifying a refund. But if it's a day trip, or 1 or 2 night trip and there's an event that you're going to miss (and nothing good to change your flight to)..you'll be more justified. If there are other reasonable flight options though they're not going to refund the ticket if it's non refundable. There are other possibilities..they could let you cancel and re-use the credit later with or without the change fee. Hard to know without the detail of the itinerary, booking code, cost of the ticket and fare rules.

The agent can easily split off the other person in your itinerary so they can keep their ticket. Just call and they'll take care of everything over the phone.. just know that your refund request is going to depend on the circumstances...there isn't a blanket guarantee that 2 hours gets you a refund... it can definitely get you a free flight change though to something that works better for your schedule.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
...there isn't a blanket guarantee that 2 hours gets you a refund... ...
Yes, that disappeared years ago
However, the reported experience on FT seems to be that is an excellent chance of a free cancellation by saying "this does not work for me anymore."

As there are two people on reservation, the reservation will need to be split first.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Without more detail it's a little hard to give a definitive answer. You may be able to cancel depending on whether it looks to the agent like this becomes a "trip in vain".. you can explain your reasons. If this is a week long trip and there is a 2 hour change on one end..you're going to have a hard time justifying a refund. But if it's a day trip, or 1 or 2 night trip and there's an event that you're going to miss (and nothing good to change your flight to)..you'll be more justified. If there are other reasonable flight options though they're not going to refund the ticket if it's non refundable. There are other possibilities..they could let you cancel and re-use the credit later with or without the change fee. Hard to know without the detail of the itinerary, booking code, cost of the ticket and fare rules.
I think you're over-complicating this a bit. 2 hours is generally a significant enough change, it's almost a sure thing the OP gets a refund.

The new flight doesn't work for me, as was posted above, is usually enough. If they want to dance a bit, they can make it difficult for you, and you can shoot down all the alternatives (leaves too early, gets in too late, can't get to the airport that early, can't leave work that early, etc.). Whether your trip is 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months doesn't matter. If you need to leave the last day after noon, you need to leave after noon.

Also, the agents are measured on their call handling times, and one of the easiest things to do with United Continental's computers is to cancel a reservation and initiate a refund. It's actually way easier for them than searching new flights, offering alternatives, and reissuing a ticket. So from an agent performance perspective, it is in their best interest to refund you and get you off the phone.

Generally, a refund is not what customers wants, so agents may try to help you by finding you a new or better flight, but in general, when I just say it doesn't work for me, they start looking for something, and I suggest they can refund it, they're happy to hear it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
9AM flight got changed to 8:15AM. Called in and got switched lickety split to the 10AM. And 1A,B were still available.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Is it fair to ask for opening up R spaces?

Here is my original reservation for next February, RIC-EWR-SFO-Asia. I was waitlisted for EWR-SFO BF seat with GPU on W fare. I got the BF seat for SFO-Asia flight. The recent United schedule changes cancelled the ~6:00 am RIC-EWR flight (the later flight will misconnect the rest of flights) and rerouted me through IAD, i.e., RIC-IAD-SFO-Asia. There is no R space for IAD-SFO flight now and this flight only has the standard United First seat. What is the chance of success that CSR will open up R spaces for me due to the fact that I originally book a flight with BF upgrade possibility (ps 28 BF seats on B757)? How hard do I have to fight for it?

My alternative is to overnight at EWR and reroute to EWR-LAX-Asia or EWR-LAX-SFO-Asia. EWR-LAX flights have R spaces available (and BF seats) now, but EWR-SFO flights do not.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Here is my original reservation for next February, RIC-EWR-SFO-Asia. I was waitlisted for EWR-SFO BF seat with GPU on W fare. I got the BF seat for SFO-Asia flight. The recent United schedule changes cancelled the ~6:00 am RIC-EWR flight (the later flight will misconnect the rest of flights) and rerouted me through IAD, i.e., RIC-IAD-SFO-Asia. There is no R space for IAD-SFO flight now and this flight only has the standard United First seat. What is the chance of success that CSR will open up R spaces for me due to the fact that I originally book a flight with BF upgrade possibility (ps 28 BF seats on B757)? How hard do I have to fight for it?

My alternative is to overnight at EWR and reroute to EWR-LAX-Asia or EWR-LAX-SFO-Asia. EWR-LAX flights have R spaces available (and BF seats) now, but EWR-SFO flights do not.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
The only time I've ever had R space opened up for me is when I had a sked change that took away the flight with confirmed R space on it.

If I understand your post, you have confirmed R space from SFO to Asia and were only waitlisted on the connecting flights that were re-scheduled. I would expect that the agent would set you up on the waitlist for the new flights, but not that they would open R space just because you got re-scheduled.

But if you can find alternative re-scheduling options with R space open, then by all means push to get rebooked on them.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:46 am

Schedule Change - Agent claims can't be rebooked into business

I am holding a business award from OMA - LHR. The schedule changed causing the flight to take off three hours earlier. I found an alternate routing that keeps the times intact. My wife called United twice and was told both times that the new flight does not have any bookable business seats. Only economy is available.

The leg in question is UA970 on 12/25. Business shows wide open, not a single seat taken. I tried and it looks like it can be booked with money, no issues.

I plan on calling today but wanted to get some feedback first as to what the issue could be the agents are seeing.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:48 am

I think the issue is that there is no space in the I bucket, which is business award seats. There could be plenty of J bucket seats while I=0, hence no award space.

This could be changed, if you get the right agent who is willing to put in a request to open up I space. But there are no guarantees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.