Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:04 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The 4-hour rule seems rather arbitrary, or maybe just flat-out made-up?
Quite! I recently cancelled a flight (CLE-DEN-SAN-DEN-CLE) and got a full refund. It had only changed by 90 minutes. But, I'm born under a lucky :-:
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:23 pm

Connecting Time at IAH Was 1'35" -- Now 40 Min.

I booked a 3-segment award from SMF to IAH to ORD to DUB for September 2015. The connecting time at IAH had been 1 hour, 35 minutes, but has now been cut to just 40 minutes due to schedule changes. Our flight on Aer Lingus (ORD-DUB) is not until 8pm, and there are about 3 other United flights after ours (IAH-ORD) that likely would still make the connection at ORD.

Should I be concerned at all that the connecting time at IAH is too short, and try to get on the following flight instead? Would United even rebook me? I have no UA status.

Or should I just stay with the current 40-minute connection?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I booked a 3-segment award from SMF to IAH to ORD to DUB for September 2015. The connecting time at IAH had been 1 hour, 35 minutes, but has now been cut to just 40 minutes due to schedule changes. Our flight on Aer Lingus (ORD-DUB) is not until 8pm, and there are about 3 other United flights after ours (IAH-ORD) that likely would still make the connection at ORD.

Should I be concerned at all that the connecting time at IAH is too short, and try to get on the following flight instead? Would United even rebook me? I have no UA status.

It depends...

Are you in business or economy?
Are you ok if you are delayed a day?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame

It would be too short for my comfort. Did you check which terminal Aer Lingus leaves from? If it's Terminal 5, factor in the train ride and reclearing security.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about, if subsequent flights would still get you there in time. Not sure I see an advantage to rebooking to a later flight; if there are weather issues, having the earlier flight out will likely give you more options. If things really go south, is there a direct SMF-ORD flight that would work?

I looked up SMF-ORD flights; if you're on the 6:30am SMF flight, you've got a ton of options for getting to ORD in time. Way too early to worry about things, I think!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Personally, I prefer a longer connecting time for the international flight, so I would leave the itinerary unchanged as it currently stands, since it's a domestic segment, and also because there are three later flights should you miss it. Have a good trip and safe travels!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:07 am

This is all in economy.

Of course, I would have preferred to be on the direct SMF-ORD flight, rather than the routing via IAH, but saver awards were only available via IAH.

There's plenty of connecting time to the international flight at ORD....4 hours, maybe 4 1/2 now with the adjusted schedule (SMF-IAH operates slightly later than when originally booked...630am SMF departure, rather than 615am; and IAH-ORD is now earlier (1250 vs. 130pm). The only issue is that the connecting time at IAH is now 40 minutes...a bit less than I bargained for!

I guess I will leave things as they are and hope for a 15 minute early arrival in IAH! Hopefully, in case of a missed connection we could still be accommodated on one of the 3 other afternoon UA IAH-ORD flights that arrive before the 8pm Aer Lingus departure from ORD.

Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'd stick with what you have over a later IAH-ORD flight, but if you get the right agent you might get moved to SMF-IAD-DUB...
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I would stick with what you have at this time.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:32 am

I'm pretty sure that UA will be willing to move you to the direct flight due to this schedule change for free. I'm pretty sure they can do this even if there are no saver seats on the direct flight. Can't hurt to ask.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: ua 1k/*g, ge, hh g, spg/mr plat
Keep checking on the non-stop flight for saver inventory - every year I book several saver smf-ord tickets in September for family (both biz & economy)...and I usually have to wait until July/Aug to get what I want (occasionally even Sep). Just be patient and persistent - good luck!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Way too tight of a connection for my comfort. Here is why:

You are in Y on this award, all things perfect, it will take you about 5 minutes to get off that plane. The distance between gates could be 10 minutes or more depending on your speed of walked. You mentioned "our" so I am assuming there is more than one of you. I know the first flight of the day has the best on-time rating, and I would be less worried if i KNEW that plane would park right next to the next flight to ORD. Only then would I maybe consider this connection. But its unlikely, and you will probably find yourself with less time at IAH than you are comfortable with.

Your IAH-ORD flight will probably be well in to boarding before you get to the gate. Depending on when you arrrive at that gate, can you risk having your carry on bags checked? You might be able to get them short checked to ORD but you will have to wait - a hassle you wont want to have.

Back to the fact that there is more than just you. If the situation gets bad, i.e. your flight is late, do you really want to have the stress of trying to get more than one of you all the way to DUB that day? If I am traveling alone, I get a little riskier than when I am with others. Finding two seats to be rebooked is a lot harder than finding one.

Consider that on the day of travel, unless its a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, flights between IAH-ORD will be pretty full.

I may sound conservative here, but when I book, I consider backup plans. You are smart to arrive in to ORD several hours before an international flight. But getting to ORD just has some variables that are too risky for my comfort.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Call United and tell them you are concerned about the schedule change.
Let them offer a remedy.
Know what is acceptable to you.
Have alternatives available to offer just in case.
If necessary - politely push for an acceptable remedy.
Do not be belligerent as it will be noted on the reservation record.
If necessary - hang up/call back later and speak to a different agent.

While 40 minutes is a tight domestic to domestic connection at IAH it is within the MCT. And while a low probability; my concern would be a checked luggage snafu with a missed connection and changed flights.

SunLover
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
This flt is in Sept 2015. If uneasy call and keep calling for a flt change. OP: Do what SunLover said. I am a gambling man and would risk it. I live in LAS, so it is in my blood to take the risk. Kidding.

SunLover is correct - do what he/she said:

Call United and tell them you are concerned about the schedule change.
Let them offer a remedy.
Know what is acceptable to you.
Have alternatives available to offer just in case.
If necessary - politely push for an acceptable remedy.
Do not be belligerent as it will be noted on the reservation record.
If necessary - hang up/call back later and speak to a different agent.
Brilliant. Also call around 11pm PST and get an agent in Hawaii. I do not know if this works without status? It works for me.

Ahoha and safe travels to the OP. I am sure it will work out.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum. 1MM IHG Platinum. National EE. Hertz PC
Hi, still hoping to work this out. My goal is to end up in a class that will allow a GPU.

Background: I was on #890 7/16 which was cancelled. I was automatically rebooked to #836 but had them switch me to #199 because I need something later.

#199 is now showing availability only in M and above. I was rebooked into K and am not sure how as there was 0 K availability at the time of rebooking. Could anyone suggest a plan to get in under M?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.