Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zoltar
Will UA offer any sort of compensation for this schedule change? Would they compensate for a hotel and put me out on the following day?
No, and no.

Any other ideas/solutions before I give UA a call?
If the redeye is most convenient, I'd look at one of the routings via SFO or LAX to avoid the mid-con redeye misery.

If you don't like the UA options, you can cancel for a full refund.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
No, and no.

If the redeye is most convenient, I'd look at one of the routings via SFO or LAX to avoid the mid-con redeye misery.

If you don't like the UA options, you can cancel for a full refund.
Thank you Kacee. That's what i'm looking at now, I don't think i'll be able to make the 1:50 PM flight work. Which one do you think has the highest likelihood of an upgrade clearing? Frustrating because I paid a premium for the direct flight when I booked originally.

Via ITA I found routings:

LAS-SFO-SAN-IAD (bonus tight connection so might get a night on the beach)
LAS-DEN-IAD
LAS-LAX-IAD/BWI
LAS-SFO-IAD/BWI
LAS-EWR-DCA

Sidenote: Really miss US Airways being part of * Alliance in situations like this. They used to have a LAS-DCA red eye if i'm not mistaken (no longer offered by AA).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Which one do you think has the highest likelihood of an upgrade clearing? Frustrating because I paid a premium for the direct flight when I booked originally.

Via ITA I found routings:

LAS-SFO-SAN-IAD (bonus tight connection so might get a night on the beach)
LAS-DEN-IAD
LAS-LAX-IAD/BWI
LAS-SFO-IAD/BWI
LAS-EWR-DCA
You need to look at the inventory and loads to get a meaningful sense of upgrade odds, but SFO-IAD and DEN-IAD are usually very difficult. Just based on route, I'd guess your best odds in general are LAS-EWR or SAN-IAD. People have also reported success on LAX-IAD.

Are you using an instrument?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Had a call from United rep this evening regarding an award ticket for travel in December. ANA cancelled some HND<->HKG frequency's and I was impacted.
She offered a not-so-great alternative, so I asked her to call back in an hour or so to allow me to look at options.

Never got a return phone call, so I ended up calling the 1K desk to arrange for alternate itinerary. Had no issue having them open up business class space on United metal to accommodate the change.

Not quite sure why I got the original call for an itinerary so far out, but happy to have learned of the issue and get it sorted out.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
United has cut their 7:30 PM SYR-IAD flight which means the last flight of the day is now 5:30 PM to ORD. I had a SYR-IAD-RDU booked for Saturday and I won't be able to make the 5:30 PM (nor could I connect to RDU from it anyway). I'm stuck having to either spend an extra night or cancel and rebook on AA. Pretty annoying frankly.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
United has cut their 7:30 PM SYR-IAD flight which means the last flight of the day is now 5:30 PM to ORD. I had a SYR-IAD-RDU booked for Saturday and I won't be able to make the 5:30 PM (nor could I connect to RDU from it anyway). I'm stuck having to either spend an extra night or cancel and rebook on AA. Pretty annoying frankly.
They canceled the evening PIT and YUL flights too. Pretty annoying. Any chance ROC or ITH have a later flight?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM
They may not let you rebook, they just increased dept/arrival change time to 25+ hrs to be eligible for a refund
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:01 am

Is it not possible to cancel a reservation & request a refund online after a schedule change?

1. At https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e-changes.html, United says "If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online."

2. At
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/refund, under Section 2 list of etickets, United says "For Active reservations, please cancel your reservation first through the Manage Reservations page, where you may also request the refund."

3. At
https://www.united.com/en/US/manageres/tripdetails when viewing the itinerary with the schedule change, the only clickable option is "Continue with schedule change" which logically sounds like accepting the itinerary, a step advised not to do in number 1.

Is there any self-service way online to cancel a reservation post schedule change without first accepting the schedule change?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
They canceled the evening PIT and YUL flights too. Pretty annoying. Any chance ROC or ITH have a later flight?
Even if they do it won't work. I'm flying into SYR then driving to Cooperstown. ROC is pretty far and ITH has very light service.

Originally Posted by N104UA
They may not let you rebook, they just increased dept/arrival change time to 25+ hrs to be eligible for a refund
Which is so absurd. A five hour change ruins my entire trip and if they tell me to eat it I'm going to be really annoyed with them.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Even if they do it won't work. I'm flying into SYR then driving to Cooperstown. ROC is pretty far and ITH has very light service.
ALB is another good choice then, closer to Cooperstown than SYR. The 1930 IAD flight is still going.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
goalie-parents’ non-stop return flight FLL-SFO on April 15th has been scrubbed due to “virus schedule reductions” with the auto re-book being FLL-IAH-SFO.

i know I can get a free change to PBI-IAD-SFO but the whole purpose of flying ex-FLL was the non-stop flight and switching to a routing with a stop is not good for goalie-dad so my question is...

Can my folks request a refund of the return portion of the itinerary and if yes, would it be a refund back to the credit card used for purchase or would it be United “funny money.

Also, 2 $100 e-cents were used on the trip (one for goalie-dad and one for goalie-mom) so if a refund, would the refund take into account the TCVA vouchers or would it be based on a fare paid without vouchers as the vouchers are simply an additional form of cash
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Can my folks request a refund of the return portion of the itinerary and if yes, would it be a refund back to the credit card used for purchase or would it be United “funny money.
They can request the refund, but under the most recent refund guidelines, I don’t know that it would be granted. They have the option to refuse the flight and ask that the remainder be retained in the ticket.

Originally Posted by goalie
Also, 2 $100 e-cents were used on the trip (one for goalie-dad and one for goalie-mom) so if a refund, would the refund take into account the TCVA vouchers or would it be based on a fare paid without vouchers as the vouchers are simply an additional form of cash
If they were granted a refund, the e-certs would not change the amount to be refunded, but you might end up with UA choosing to refund the vouchers before they choose to refund cash. But, again, I don’t think they’re likely to offer a refund.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by N104UA
...they just increased dept/arrival change time to 25+ hrs to be eligible for a refund
I won't let that stand.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I won't let that stand.
Here's the relevant portions of Rule 24 in the CoC. Looks like maybe UA is counting this as a Force Majeure event rather than a schedule change? Schedule change allows for the customer to get a refund whereas Force Majeure allows United to issue a travel credit instead.

I still think that cancellations (even advance cancellations due to Force Majeure) require a full refund under DOT rules but United will probably take a different view. Time for some DOT complaints!

Definitions - For the purpose of this Rule, the following terms have the meanings below:
1. Schedule Change – an advance change in UA’s schedule (including a change in operating carrier or itinerary) that is not a unique event such as Irregular Operations or Force Majeure Event as defined below. [...]

4. Force Majeure Event – any of the following situations:
  1. Any condition beyond UA’s control including, but not limited to, meteorological or geological conditions, acts of God, riots, terrorist activities, civil commotions, embargoes, wars, hostilities, disturbances, or unsettled international conditions, either actual, anticipated, threatened or reported, or any delay, demand, circumstances, or requirement due directly or indirectly to such condition;
  2. Any strike, work stoppage, slowdown, lockout, or any other labor-related dispute involving or affecting UA’s services;
  3. Any governmental regulation, demand or requirement; [may apply to some flights to China and Italy]
  4. Any shortage of labor, fuel, or facilities of UA or others;
  5. Damage to UA’s Aircraft or equipment caused by another party;
  6. Any emergency situation requiring immediate care or protection for a person or property; or
  7. Any event not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by UA.
  1. Schedule Change- When a Passenger’s Ticketed flight is affected because of a Schedule Change that modifies the original departure and/or arrival time by 30 minutes or more, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:
    1. Provided that the dates of departure and arrival must be within 7 days of the originally scheduled dates of departure and arrival, respectively, transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger;
    2. When a Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities, at UA’s sole discretion, UA may reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service;
    3. Advise the Passenger that the value of his or her Ticket may be applied toward future travel on United within one year from the date of issue without a change or reissue fee; or
    4. If the Passenger is not transported as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).
  2. Force Majeure Event - In the event of a Force Majeure Event, UA without notice, may cancel, terminate, divert, postpone, or delay any flight, right of carriage or reservations (whether or not confirmed) and determine if any departure or landing should be made, without any liability on the part of UA. UA may re-accommodate Passengers on another available UA flight or on another carrier or combination of carriers, or via ground transportation, or may refund any unused portions of the Ticket in the form of a travel certificate.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Schedule change allows for the customer to get a refund whereas Force Majeure allows United to issue a travel credit instead.
No, it really doesn’t.

Read what you posted. “At its election.” UA reserves the right to move your flight by up to 7 days. That’s (c)(1) in the section you bolded about a refund upon request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.