Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Alan6557
The original canceled flight was scheduled to arrive SAN at 5:10pm. The only LAX-SAN flight that was available arrived at 8:15pm. That arrival time was too late for me.
This frustrates me how they change the LAX-SAN flights. Too many times I have made reservations and they change/cancel the flight and put me on much later flights. There used to be a much better set of afternoon/evening flights but now huge gap in the schedule.

There is one more flight after the 7pm flight (arrives after 8pm) which is 10.30pm which arrives at 11.30pm. Makes for a very, very long day but four flights before 3pm and then nothing until 7pm. If I am too late for the 3pm flight connection I generally uber (which will not help with the PQD next year!)

Usually easier to connect through SFO (providing the weather is good), IAH (providing no t-storms/hurricanes as been delayed by those connecting through IAH), DEN (provided no delays for wind which I have been caught by).

It is quite easy leaving SAN but coming home TPAC or TATL is stressful.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Had a 30 minute change on the LAX - SFO leg of a return to YVR from MEL. Not looking forward to a double connection in LAX and SFO. Able to change to the UX LAX -YVR nonstop based on this. Happy.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Alan6557
The original canceled flight was scheduled to arrive SAN at 5:10pm. The only LAX-SAN flight that was available arrived at 8:15pm. That arrival time was too late for me.
With a >3hr change in arrival time, they shouldn't have given you a hard time changing your routing and forcing saver availability in the way you requested to get you there closer to your original scheduled arrival.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Protocol for refund when 5 minute schedule change create illegal connection

Dear all,

curious us as to the protocol... I had a legal (though barely) connection for future AMS-ORD-IAH travel. Last week’s sched change of only 5 minutes created an illegal connection.

In truth, I was happy to refund, as my plans were in flux. UA at first said the change is too small to initiate a refund and instead offered a different connection out of ORD. I pressed it, citing the new times wouldn’t work.

Agent escalted to sup, who declined request. I asked to speak with sup. Was on hold for a while. Agent came back, having gotten authorization from a different sup.

All worked out for me. But it did make me curious.

If a sched change forces the passenger to a new flight, what is in the authority of a lower level agent to accommodate a refund?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
If a sched change forces the passenger to a new flight, what is in the authority of a lower level agent to accommodate a refund?
Unlimited authority. Generally, HUCA is better than escalating.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by zrs70
UA at first said the change is too small to initiate a refund and instead offered a different connection out of ORD... Agent escalted to sup, who declined request. I asked to speak with sup. Was on hold for a while. Agent came back, having gotten authorization from a different sup. All worked out for me.
Textbook example of what to do. Well done.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Undesirable schedule changes.

Had SFO-MIA and ATL-SFO booked on one PNR (traveling by car in between) for next July. Both flights were non-stops. Now, UA has stopped doing the SFO-MIA non-stop (at least during non-peak cruise season), and is trying to put us on SFO-ORD-MIA, getting in about 6 hours later (after 10pm). This is far from desirable.

What are our options? Will UA allow, given the undesirability of the new schedule, us to cancel the SFO-MIA segment without penalty? Thinking of switching to AA, who still has a non-stop flight with similar hours to the old UA non-stop.

Will UA allow us to change to the SFO-FLL non-stop? It's arrival time isn't much better, but it is non-stop.

Likely will keep the ATL-SFO segment. The flight times work very well.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
options

UA will definitely allow you to change and/or cancel. Not sure how you cancel & keep the ATL-SFO option BTW?
My best advice is find the best flight cnx. you want outbound and then call UA Customer Service & tell them what you want?
(Personally, I prefer cnx. in IAH, DEN or even EWR as ORD is a bit of a grunt!).
They will allow you to re-route to FLL. It is a bit further (40 mins) from the Miami cruise port. We have done both - but I agree MIA is preferable.
(BTW, I look at schedule changes as a way to improve my itin i.e. cancelling is the last option!)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
UA will definitely allow you to change and/or cancel. Not sure how you cancel & keep the ATL-SFO option BTW?
This shouldn't be a problem, given the severity of the schedule change -- the refund would be the SFO-MIA portion of the fare, whatever that happened to be, and UA would convert it to a one-way ATL-SFO flight.

However, I agree that if SFO-FLL is an option, it would be no problem to switch to it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
What are our options? Will UA allow, given the undesirability of the new schedule, us to cancel the SFO-MIA segment without penalty? Thinking of switching to AA, who still has a non-stop flight with similar hours to the old UA non-stop.

Will UA allow us to change to the SFO-FLL non-stop? It's arrival time isn't much better, but it is non-stop.

Likely will keep the ATL-SFO segment. The flight times work very well.
As jsloan noted, yes to all of these choices, with switching to SFO-FLL being the one which might take a bit of negotiating. Canceling SFO-MIA for a refund of that component of the fare is guaranteed by the CoC.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Thanks everyone. Will go to work on this tomorrow.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm glad I make a habit of reading this forum. I made business-class award reservations for my wife and I to Paris and back from Rome several months ago for June. I was able to book Air Canada via Toronto. The only award flight I could get on the return required an overnight stay. This weekend I saw that the schedule had changed for my return flight, making the connection 2 hours longer. I thought it wouldn't hurt to try calling to see if I could change the reservation to same-day flights, despite the fact that there are no I class awards available. It took a while, but the premier desk rep was able to get me on a United flight via IAD, with the IAD-DEN portion on a 787. This saves me a day of vacation time, and saves me some money for an overnight stay in Toronto. Thanks go to a very helpful rep who went to bat for me! Now I just hope that my FCO-IAD flight gets switched into a Polaris 777 before June!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Schedule changes and rebooking

Hello. I was notified by email of multiple minor time changes on an itinerary in April 2019. I was offered of accepting or declining time changes.
As a 1K, I contacted web support as per email instructions. I was offered the option of itinerary change without fee due to schedule changes. The original routing was YYZ-IAD-SFO-SIN; to increase segment count, I suggested revised routing: YYZ-EWR-IAD-LAX-SFO-SIN giving agent specific flight numbers on same date of travel. After some minutes, the agent advised me that despite availability of new routing in same fare basis, I was unable to change to my suggested routing because this was "not the most direct routing" for YYZ to SIN.
I had never heard this excuse and am wondering whether web support just didn't want to reissue this ticket originally paid for in foreign currency. Any thoughts?
Also, a safe and healthy New Year to all here.

OP here. In looking at fare rules, it appears that maximum 3 transfers in USA are allowed in addition to 1 transfer in Canada and 2 transfers in Area 3. If I remove 1 segment in USA to my proposed itinerary change, might I get a positive approval from web support?

Last edited by cagcag; Dec 30, 2018 at 10:15 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Adding two extra segments that will likely take a lot more time than the original itinerary's "minor time changes" seems like a perfect example of a change that would/should be declined by United, particularly when connecting to the (only) twice-daily SFO-SIN.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Adding two extra segments that will likely take a lot more time than the original itinerary's "minor time changes" seems like a perfect example of a change that would/should be declined by United, particularly when connecting to the (only) twice-daily SFO-SIN.
The revised proposed itinerary leaves origin and arrives in destination at same time. It includes an overnight in SFO. I am tempted to contact web support again later with attempt to revise itinerary to delete one of the 3 transfers. Maybe, YYZ-IAD-LAX-SFO-SIN might be acceptable??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.