Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Old Apr 1, 15, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Had a weird one this week.

Revenue TPAC trip coming up in a couple weeks showed the red message but no actual changes shown in red on the itinerary.

I went line-by-line and everything looked the same. Flight numbers, departure/arrival times, equipment, etc.

Upon phoning reservations, they put me on hold for awhile to research. Stated that it was the Cathay Pacific segment that caused the message, but the flight is confirmed with no changes.
I went ahead and acknowledged the changes on line. Itinerary looks OK on United.com and on a fresh receipt pull.

Anyone else every have this type of issue? Any reason to be concerned?
this can be caused by anything ... like a 738 version changing ... unnoticeable, but still giving the message. If the message is cleared and the ticket is o.k. then don't worry. Check the CX segment on CX to be sure.
Old Apr 8, 15, 12:03 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Somewhat complicated situation: About a month ago I booked a flight for November specifically looking for sCO aircraft with R-availability, so when I found a BRU-EWR-IAH fulfilling these parameters, I booked this instead of what normally would have been a more logical FRA-(XXX-)IAH.

Now I got a schedule-change moving me to a sUA aircraft - keeping my upgrade intact, but now being put into a backward-facing, tighter (20 vs. 23 inches) and shorter seat that I specifically tried to avoid by selecting the BRU-EWR segment. If that had not been a priority, I could have done FRA-IAD-IAH (non-stop to IAH had no R) with better times and less problems to get to the airport in time - R was available on that FRA-IAD flight as well a month ago.

Now the question: If I call in, will United a) allow me to change my ticket to depart from FRA or b) to connect from BRU via FRA directly to IAH and c) keep my upgrade in place even if none of the flights out of FRA currently has R available?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 11, 15, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver/GE
A 3 minute change in June, BOS-SFO. Looks like a 752 to a 753. 😕. (Was secretly hoping for a p.s. plane )
Old Apr 11, 15, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by djohannw View Post
Somewhat complicated situation: About a month ago I booked a flight for November specifically looking for sCO aircraft with R-availability, so when I found a BRU-EWR-IAH fulfilling these parameters, I booked this instead of what normally would have been a more logical FRA-(XXX-)IAH.

Now I got a schedule-change moving me to a sUA aircraft - keeping my upgrade intact, but now being put into a backward-facing, tighter (20 vs. 23 inches) and shorter seat that I specifically tried to avoid by selecting the BRU-EWR segment. If that had not been a priority, I could have done FRA-IAD-IAH (non-stop to IAH had no R) with better times and less problems to get to the airport in time - R was available on that FRA-IAD flight as well a month ago.

Now the question: If I call in, will United a) allow me to change my ticket to depart from FRA or b) to connect from BRU via FRA directly to IAH and c) keep my upgrade in place even if none of the flights out of FRA currently has R available?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Greetings - Dirk
near zero chance. Also consider additional schedule changes till November ...
Old Apr 11, 15, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like a May ORD-RDU trip had a 739 turn into a 73G. Shame as that makes for a much harder upgrade.
Old Apr 18, 15, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Called about a reservation in July -- EWR to BID with United and Cape Air
that had some schedule changes. My return flight was changed from 13:17
to 14:20, which clearly increased my connection time in Providence by 1
hour and 3 minutes. The connection was already about 4 hours. When I
requested a cancellation of this reservation, I was advised that an hour
change in departure does not justify cancellation of a non-refundable
reservation.

I hung up, called back, and was again given the same story,
that it must be a change of 4 hours. So my flight connection was not
changed by four hours but certainly now exceeds that, and that is okay.

I understand a change that results in 1 hour is not much, but when
connections are longer than average to begin with one hour additional is
certainly an issue.

Finally, I tried one last thing. I pointed out that I was booked on ERJ and switched to Q-200s. I explained that those are NOT jets, and there is even an advisory about that fact
before you book a new reservation, but not when the reservation is changed.

I have not accepted these changes from United, but they have auto accepted them for me.
Old Apr 18, 15, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Micp3208 View Post
Called about a reservation in July -- EWR to BID with United and Cape Air
that had some schedule changes. My return flight was changed from 13:17
to 14:20, which clearly increased my connection time in Providence by 1
hour and 3 minutes. The connection was already about 4 hours. When I
requested a cancellation of this reservation, I was advised that an hour
change in departure does not justify cancellation of a non-refundable
reservation.

I hung up, called back, and was again given the same story,
that it must be a change of 4 hours. So my flight connection was not
changed by four hours but certainly now exceeds that, and that is okay.

I understand a change that results in 1 hour is not much, but when
connections are longer than average to begin with one hour additional is
certainly an issue.

Finally, I tried one last thing. I pointed out that I was booked on ERJ and switched to Q-200s. I explained that those are NOT jets, and there is even an advisory about that fact
before you book a new reservation, but not when the reservation is changed.

I have not accepted these changes from United, but they have auto accepted them for me.

Remember that United Continental plays dirty. So you just need to do the same. Say whatever it takes to get the reservation refunded if that's what you want.

In this case, the key is the ERJ to Q-200, that is likely an operating carrier change. Make sure it is, and then harp on that until they do the needful.

If you had just the time, just say over 4 hours is an illegal connection (it isn't because it's international, but had it been domestic, it would have been).

In cases where I want an INVOL refund, I usually make like I'm trying to make it work first (e.g., call up and say you're looking for a jet flight that doesn't give you 5 hours to sit in San Juan) and when they start struggling with it, then say something like, "I suppose if there's nothing out there, we can do an involuntary refund."

Good luck!
Old Apr 18, 15, 9:55 am

Yes, it is an operating carrier change, I tried that with the equipment type, they placed me on hold, and that is when they came back with the 4 hour or more warrants a change.

This flight is domestic, I did not even think of that 4 hour rule. I was so puzzled that a connection that is 4 hours or more is allowed a change, but when it goes over 4 hours, by increasing 1 hour, they don't care.

I wrote an email to customer care. Maybe a DOT complaint is in order.
Old Apr 18, 15, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Micp3208 View Post
Yes, it is an operating carrier change, I tried that with the equipment type, they placed me on hold, and that is when they came back with the 4 hour or more warrants a change.
A carrier change is specified in the Contract of Carriage as grounds for a refund. An equipment change is not.

Originally Posted by channa View Post
If you had just the time, just say over 4 hours is an illegal connection (it isn't because it's international, but had it been domestic, it would have been).
Incorrect. You can not normally book a 4-hour connection unless it is the first flight out. If you book a legal connection and a schedule change results in a longer than 4-hour connection, it has no bearing on the "legality" of the connection.
Old Apr 18, 15, 10:17 am

Thanks mahasamatman. I've sent the email and am waiting for a response (probably 10 days from now). We shall see what they say.

There is a flight earlier in the morning, but it is 45 minutes from the time my Cape Air flight arrives PVD. Since you don't clear security in BID, they have a MCT of 60 minutes from 9K flights.
Old Apr 18, 15, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
You can not normally book a 4-hour connection unless it is the first flight out. If you book a legal connection and a schedule change results in a longer than 4-hour connection, it has no bearing on the "legality" of the connection.
The goal is not to be accurate, rather to raise enough doubt in the conversation to get the desired outcome.

Saying over 4 hours is illegal is enough to get most agents concerned, whether it's accurate or not.

That's also why these conversations should be had on a call, not email, so the customer can frame, reframe, and adapt his case as appropriate.
Old Apr 18, 15, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Wanted to clarify the change in operating carrier parameter for a refund on a non-refundable ticket.

Booked DCA-EWR-Europe. The DCA-EWR was on ExpressJet; checked today, and saw that it's now operated by Republic. I'm eligible for a refund based upon this change, correct? Where in the Contract of Carriage does it state that a change of operating carrier is grounds for a refund? Or, is it a DOT regulation?
Old Apr 18, 15, 11:01 am
RNE

Originally Posted by channa View Post
The goal is not to be accurate, rather to raise enough doubt in the conversation to get the desired outcome. Saying over 4 hours is illegal is enough to get most agents concerned, whether it's accurate or not. That's also why these conversations should be had on a call, not email, so the customer can frame, reframe, and adapt his case as appropriate.
Winner of the coveted RNE's pick for post of the week!

Special citation for realpolitik.

RNE, congratulating you.
Old Apr 18, 15, 11:06 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Winner of the coveted RNE's pick for post of the week!
Mine, too.

Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
The DCA-EWR was on ExpressJet; checked today, and saw that it's now operated by Republic. I'm eligible for a refund based upon this change, correct?
Yes. I've done it many times.

Last edited by goalie; Apr 18, 15 at 1:04 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Apr 18, 15, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
Where in the Contract of Carriage does it state that a change of operating carrier is grounds for a refund?
It doesn't. UA amended its Contract of Carriage effective March 6, 2015. UA can now force a change of carrier on you. They also removed the provision which gave you the right to a refund based on a two hour delay.

Flyer friendly, indeed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: