Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:06 am

How should I handle an equipment change on an F award?

Currently booked one way MP saver F award, BKK-PEK-IAD, first leg on TG in J, PEK-IAD on UA in F (UA808). Due to UA808 being switched from 772 to 788, the F was downgraded to J. Is there anything to be done about this?

I think that since the BKK-PEK segment is on a partner in J, the mileage level at the time of booking would have been the same (80k), so I don't think a mileage refund is in order.

One option would be to request being switched over to an all-partner J award (subject to availability), such as BKK-VIE-IAD (OS-OS or BR-OS) and request waiver of the change fee. I think this is likely to be granted.

What I'd prefer, however, is to be rerouted on UA metal in F (I know, UA F, but the ticket is for my mother and she likes "F"). I'm thinking BKK-NRT-IAD, but there is no saver F space available on NRT-IAD.

What is the likelihood of convincing UA to open up an F seat in this circumstance? Any tips?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fpc552
What is the likelihood of convincing UA to open up an F seat in this circumstance?
Should be pretty high. You paid for F, they should give you F with no questions.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good chance that UA will do this for you so long as there is any availability (not only award). It may take a supervisor or second-tier supervisor to do this and it is best to call during regular business hours in case the supervisor needs to consult RM/IM for the authorization.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Good news ... I actually got an email about a schedule change.

Bad news ... It was six weeks after the change was made (and I accepted it).
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fpc552
What I'd prefer, however, is to be rerouted on UA metal in F (I know, UA F, but the ticket is for my mother and she likes "F"). I'm thinking BKK-NRT-IAD, but there is no saver F space available on NRT-IAD.

What is the likelihood of convincing UA to open up an F seat in this circumstance? Any tips?
Originally Posted by Often1
Good chance that UA will do this for you so long as there is any availability (not only award). It may take a supervisor or second-tier supervisor to do this and it is best to call during regular business hours in case the supervisor needs to consult RM/IM for the authorization.
Agreed, provided that the BKK-NRT flight is available as an award from NH. So, if you're seeing Standard F on BKK-NRT-IAD, it shouldn't be a problem to get the award changed at no charge. If the NH segment isn't available as an award, though, the best you can do is get them to ask NH if they'll make it available -- NH might agree but isn't obligated -- or find another route.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:03 pm

Downgrade on short-segment on paid L*/UPDI fare

What is the UA policy for downgrade compensation for a short-segment in Y on a paid L*/UPDI?

Due to an advance schedule change, SMF-LAX is now in Y on a SMF-OGG paid L*/UPDI fare.
Have decided to keep the new flights as current fares & schedules are no better.

Am familiar with DL's policy of $200 voucher upon online compliant plus fare difference and AA's $0.10/mi $50min policy.

Suppose I'll wait until after travel to submit a refund request and separate customer care request.

Any other advice?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
GG OVS DOWNGRADE

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
GG OVS DOWNGRADE

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
But isn't that compensation due only in operational downgrades during travel?

This sounds like an aircraft downgauge in a sked change. Different kettle of fish, I think.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Pretty sure UA will say GG OVS DOWNGRADE doesn't apply here; instead it's more analogous to a schedule change, especially if the ticket is some distance into the future. (Have heard of GG OVS being used for day-of switches from ex. 320 to 319, but never for a ticket far into the future).

At a minimum you should get the fare difference back (so whatever the differential was/is), plus likely a $100 cert (best case, the $200 GG OVS will offer you).

Out of interest, is SFO-OGG not an option for you? Unless you live in SMF, I personally would take a drive/bus down to SFO to avoid the mess of flying an RJ into LAX.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Colin
What is the UA policy for downgrade compensation for a short-segment in Y on a paid L*/UPDI?

Due to an advance schedule change, SMF-LAX is now in Y on a SMF-OGG paid L*/UPDI fare.
Have decided to keep the new flights as current fares & schedules are no better.
Fare difference is $0 as the new fare is the same as the old fare. I doubt that you will be offered any compensation either (assuming reason is that SMF-LAX was downgauged to a single cabin aircraft); your other choice would have been a positive-space own-metal reroute (or refund).

As mentioned, GG OVS DOWNGRADE only applies to day-of situations. It may be worth complaining to CS anyway, but I wouldn't expect anything.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:09 pm

Unacceptable schedule change on return segment (after flown outbound)

For a domestic flight bought as a roundtrip (on United), I have already flown the outbound segment, and the inbound segment just had a massive schedule change (I am now arriving ~7 hours later than originally ticketed).

Do people have experience with how they proceeded here if it happened to you (schedule change on partially used ticket).

I looked at other available options (on United itself) and none of them seem acceptable to me (basically United cancelled their morning flight ORD-AVL arriving 10am for the month of february 2018, and do not have any morning flight into AVL from any of their other hubs either, earliest arrival on a united flight from any hub into avl is 4:30pm which is not acceptable to me).

If I tell them nothing is acceptable, given that I have already flown the outbound segment, what is my recourse here? I'm afriad that a "partial refund" would end up being pittance.

Ideally they put my on an American Airlines flight (which does have morning flights into AVL), but that likely won't happen.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Nov 10, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It will depend how its priced. Some price as RT (usually w/ minimum stay) and some price as separate one way fares strung together or even multiple fares end on end. With separate one way fares it will also vary since the outbound fare basis may be different than the return. Say outbound fare basis was $300 and return fare basis was $100 for a total of $400 RT, you might only get $100 back. Same fare basis each way may get 50% back.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Ask to be rebooked into GSP and potentially eat the transportation cost if they won't do anything for you.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Ask to be rebooked into GSP and potentially eat the transportation cost if they won't do anything for you.
The ground transportation cost can be significant. Over says $75. There are $160 ow flights on AA (connecting in CLT). If you can't get them to put you on AA, see how much of a runoff you can get, and then use the to buy an AA ticket. You may find that the out of pocket is less than the ground transportation from another airport.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Over the past weekend, United sent me two messages to ask me to call them to discuss a schedule change. HGH-ICN-ORD-ORF in saver business. United cancelled the late ORD-ORF flight (9:00 pm departure). The earlier one leaves at 6:00 pm before the arrival time of ICN-ORD flight. So, I called United 1K line this morning. The agent was willing to change to HGH-NRT-ORD-ORF but her supervisor denied her. There is no saver business available for NRT-ORD-ORF (on UA metals), but there is I space on HGH-NRT (on ANA). I thought that UA would open on the IN inventory on its own metals in such a circumstance because UA created the misconnection itself, not its partners.
Is this part of the recent MP devaluation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.