Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United has the WORST customer service. [2015-Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:53 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

{As done in previous years -- we'll have a single United has the WORST customer service thread for all interactions with UA -- previous thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-edition.html .... WineCountryUA, UA coModerator}
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I guess I will start off 2015 for a new thread about worst customer service experiences....mkr

FOR 2015, please report your WORST UA Customer Service Experience

The goal of this thread is to improve Customer Service for us all. If one does not report bad Customer Service Experiences to UA, one does not give UA an opportunity to correct the situation for the future.

RULES OF THREAD:

(1) Remember, what may be the worst Customer Service experience for one person would not be for another. Please do not belittle another poster's worst experience. Let us not debate in this thread whether the poster's experience is worst or not.

(2) Offer constructive , helpful suggestions for similar situations that may arise in the future.

(3) Let us not turn this thread into another one of a long list that knocks everything about UA. In your response, stick to the subject of what a particular poster reports. (There are plenty of other threads already existing to address your other concerns. THANK YOU.

IN YOUR REPORT STATE THESE THREE THINGS:

(1) State the situation in sufficient detail in your report for us to understand so that a lot of questions will not need to be asked by several posters in order for us to get a complete picture. Be sure to accurately report both sides, and do not overembellish in your own favor.

(2) What (if anything) did you do to followup with UA to report your experience?

(3) What (if anything) did UA do to followup with you to your report?

Thanks for posting.
************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
I will begin with my own worst experience (so far in 2015).

On Sat 1/3, I had done a SDC from Friday because the flights were not as crowded on Sat., I had some extra time, and my chances for an upgrade were good on Sat. So I got an upgraded seat 2A (single seat) on a United Express on Sat. afternoon from AAA-BBB very soon after my SDC. I was happy so far, and looking forward to a relaxing flight. I got a good night sleep, rather than flying Friday evening.

My transportation to the airport was delayed, so I hurried to the gate without stopping to quench my thirst and made it just in time for the boarding announcement. So I was very thirsty. I also did not have a chance to stop to pick up something to eat, so I was a bit hungry too.

The flight was on time and way less than full. There was no urgency for boarding. I was about the 2nd or 3rd person to board.

The service on this flight was probably the worst I have ever received. The 2 FAs acted like they wanted to be anywhere but on that flight.

No greetings, the FAs were busy in the galley with a conversation. After waiting several minutes with no pre-flight beverage service, I motioned to one of the FAs and asked for a Sprite. She said yes, it will be a few minutes. After a few minutes, she came, but not cordial and no smiles. I guess she figured since she brought me a drink that she had better take others' orders too, and did.

This one particular FA chewed gum during the entire flight, including during the safety announcements during which she acted bored and that she could care less about our safety. I have nothing against gum chewing, but I think it was inappropriate for the FA when in public view. It compounded what came across as a "I do not care" attitude.

They quickly did a post-takeoff beverage service in First, and announced no beverage service in Coach, even though it was only half full. They have done a beverage service in Coach on this route in the past. There was no bad weather or bumpy conditions, so I did not understand why they would not do a beverage service for Coach.

They quickly distributed snacks to everyone in the plane, and then retreated to the galley to visit. They did not pass back through First Class to see if anyone needed anything else. Sitting in 2A, I had a good view of their actions in the galley.

They were very interested in examining each others' clothing and boots, and having conversation. It was difficult for me to get their attention for more beverage and snacks, several times. I do not like to ring the call button, but prefer to make eye contact and motion with my hand to talk to the FAs. I do not think I should need to walk to the galley to make my requests either.

Each time this one FA in particular would come to me to see what I wanted. The other one remained in the galley, apparently waiting for the second one to come back to resume their conversation, which they did each time the FA who came to see me returned to the galley.

The FA who came to me was greatly less than attentive in responding to my requests and her body language and tone of voice indicated such. I only asked for 3 refills of beverage (Sprite) during the flight and some extra snack bags, and I cordially made these requests. There was an ample supply of snacks because the plane was only half full. The message that came across from her was, "why are you bothering me"? And no smiles.

Neither FA greeted any of the First Class passengers by name during the flight and thanked any of us for flying (although not required, I have experienced this much more recently on UA and UX flights...it is a nice Customer Service touch). When we deplaned, no thank yous, have a good day, etc., (at least from what I observed to the few passengers from First who deplaned before me, and also to me). It was our plane fares that were helping to pay these FA salaries. They were very poor representatives of UA. They need retraining or reassignment. Yes,they worked for UX, but represent UA as part of the UA system. (UA acknowledged such in their response to me....see Post#11 below).

I definitely sent in a survey to UA after this flight, explaining all. I have never before sent in a complaint about FAs, but I felt I had to this time. I did not hear back from UA for about 3 weeks, so I then sent in an email to Customer Service to relate my experience. Customer Service responded within a day, and I have posted below (Post #11) their response downthread.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 24, 2015 at 12:33 am Reason: Add preamble (by WineCountryUA 2/23), 2/24 edit by mkr to add clarity
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
United Express flight?? No surprise that service was mediocore. They are considered as second class citizens by UA- they are not UA employees- and that attitude infects them as well.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 20, 2015 at 5:26 am Reason: quote not needed
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:22 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Besides it being your opinion, upon what facts do you base your statement that UA Express employees are regarded as "second class citizens" by UA? Has there been a published report of this?

In my opinion, UA should certainly care about how UX employees interact with the passengers. UX is part of the United system with the many regional aircraft that exist. If UA did not care about my service experience on UX, why would they bother to solicit my survey feedback?

As I stated, I certainly filled out the survey and sent it in to UA the day following the flight. I have not heard back from UA, but will certainly report back when I do to report what UA's response is.

Last edited by mkr; Jan 20, 2015 at 8:16 am
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors , Marriott Silver, Starwood Silver, Hertz Gold
UX not all the same

I have recently had a number of UX Skywest flights with amazing FA's and customer service. I have sent in two compliments to United based on the great service. So I'm not sure you can say all UX is the same. I've also had terrible service on UA and great service on UA.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
I agree that the plural of anecdote is not data. However, having flowing quite a bit on UX, UA Domestic, and UA Intl, I can say that there seems to be a difference in the service on UX vs. Domestic vs. Intl (which would make sense).

I have certainly had excellent FAs on UX. However, I have witnessed behavior on UX that I have to believe would never, ever pass muster on the mainline. Two recent UX examples come to mind: on a recent JAN-ORD flight, the FA mumbled the safety demo so incomprehensibly that passengers were exchanging glances wondering if: (a) the microphone was on; or (b) if the FA spoke English. Seriously, no one understood a word she was saying. On another recent flight, a UX FA stood in the galley texting rather than greeting passengers, hanging up coats, or offering PDBs. I have to think neither of these would be acceptable on the mainline.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by mkr
Neither FA greeted any of the First Class passengers by name during the flight and thanked any of us for flying. When we deplaned, no thank yous, have a good day, etc. It was our plane fares that were helping to pay their salaries. They were very poor representatives of UA. They need retraining or reassignment.
Seems like you spent a lot of time chronicling an experience that wasn't all that exceptional. Nobody called you a scab or refused to serve you. Frankly if this is the worst you can come up with, UAL is doing better than I thought.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:20 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Seems like you spent a lot of time chronicling an experience that wasn't all that exceptional. Nobody called you a scab or refused to serve you. Frankly if this is the worst you can come up with, UAL is doing better than I thought.
No, nobody called me a scab or refused to serve me. They certainly acted like they did not want to serve me. However I have flown for years and never experienced such a "cold shoulder" attitude by FAs than these two who were apparently more interested in visiting on the job than serving the customers.

It was "my" worst experience with FAs. It certainly may be different than yours. Others certainly may report worse experiences. The point of this thread is to give persons an opportunity to report, so do kindly do not negate the experiences of others. Why do you not elect to report your own worst experience?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
It was "my" worst experience with FAs. It certainly may be different than yours. Others certainly may report worse experiences. The point of this thread is to give persons an opportunity to report, so do kindly do not negate the experiences of others. Why do you not elect to report your own worst experience?
I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to negate your experiences. It just didn't seem that terrible to me. Compare for example, to a few of my PMUA experiences:

1) I'm flying in paid GlobalFirst to HKG. With no FAs circulating around for several hours, I go to the galley. Seeing a Costco-size crate of water bottles, I ask the FA if I could please have one. She says "Those are only for the cabin crew. Your water is over there" pointing to the spigot with the stale water and tiny dixie cups. I noted at the end of the flight that most of the bottles were still there, unconsumed.

I wrote a very impassioned letter to mgmt. about this, asking which class I needed to be in to get fresh water, since GlobalFirst wasn't sufficient. A few months later, FAs started regularly distributing the water bottles after the meal service was all done. I'm not sure if there was a connection with my letter.

2) Flying in First to Brussels. Again after hours of 0 FAs in sight, I go to the galley to ask for some juice. The FA yells at me "Go sit back down and wait until we bring the breakfast service out!" I looked at the seatbelt light, sure that it must have gone on to get this reaction. But no, it was off. FA just didn't want to be bothered to serve anybody before she was good and ready.

3) Fying SFO->HNL in BF.
Me: I would like a meal for my son (pointing to my 2 year old)
FA: if there are any left over, I'll bring one by.
Me: I paid for the seat, I should get a meal with it.
FA: we don't normally do that.
Me: Really?!!
FA: We'll just see. Maybe there will be some left over.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jan 20, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:18 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

porciuscato, those indeed were not excusable behaviors by the FAs.

In your example #1, did you ever receive a response from UA to your letter of complaint?

In examples #2 and #3, did you take action to report to UA? If so, what responses did you receive from UA? I am not aware of any policy that limits meals to persons of certain age. You paid for the ticket for your son, he should have received a meal.

FTers, unless we report problems to UA, we cannot expect action to be taken to correct the problems.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by manstein58
United Express flight?? No surprise that service was mediocore. They are considered as second class citizens by UA- they are not UA employees- and that attitude infects them as well.

i've heard some great conversations between f/a's on uax and it was across all carriers not just a few, most of the uax carriers fly for dl and aa as well and most of them revere dl as the end all be all of flying the dl cnx routes when in fact the service on dl cnx tends to require more work from the f/a's than flying on the uax side...i've had both skywest and gojet f/a's openly bash policy and procedures when it comes to service and announcements on uax.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:29 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

UA Customer Care followed up to bad experience with Flight Attendants

Followup to OP:

Customer Care DOES respond, if we will bother to send in a complaint!!

I waited 3 weeks to hear from UA in response to the survey I filled out after the flight. I received no response.

I contacted Customer Care via email to describe the poor customer service from the Flight Attendants on my flight.

I received a lengthy reply from Customer Care within one day with a very apologetic response and thanking me for describing in detail the experience.
The reply indicated they had actually read my communication to them.

They stated UA and UAX flight attendants are responsible for much better service and promised to forward my report to the appropriate department to improve things.

UA Customer Care thanked me for my business and asked for a chance to do better.

The response also promised 2 UC passes in the mail. I will wait to see if they actually come.

I can post the response from Customer Care if readers want to read it for themselves.

Last edited by mkr; Jan 30, 2015 at 2:41 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:53 pm
Suspended

[2015] Consolidated Worst UA/UX Flight Attendant Experiences

I was in 1st on the TPA-IAH flight last Saturday. I felt that something was up when none of the FAs made an attempt at the predeparture drink. I sounded the FA bell and asked for a screwdriver and their response was "there's no predeparture drink service because the aisles r tight on this 737." I looked at her with a surprised look. I wanted to tell her that excuse wouldn't work if my name was Jeff Smisek or if I was a GS.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I was in 1st on the TPA-IAH flight last Saturday. I felt that something was up when none of the FAs made an attempt at the predeparture drink. I sounded the FA bell and asked for a screwdriver and their response was "there's no predeparture drink service because the aisles r tight on this 737." I looked at her with a surprised look. I wanted to tell her that excuse wouldn't work if my name was Jeff Smisek or if I was a GS.
This is when you ask for their name because you would like to follow up in the post flight survey.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
porciuscato, those indeed were not excusable behaviors by the FAs. In your example #1, did you ever receive a response from UA to your letter of complaint?
No. I didn't. However, it wasn't long after that when it apparently became policy to distribute water bottles after the meal service. So I wonder....

Originally Posted by mkr
In examples #2 and #3, did you take action to report to UA? If so, what responses did you receive from UA? I am not aware of any policy that limits meals to persons of certain age. You paid for the ticket for your son, he should have received a meal.
No. Since I got no response to my previous correspondence, I didn't see a reason to bother.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Rude cabin crew

So long story short: I had a really rude United flight attendant and I asked that flight attendant for his name. He gave me his name and when he realized I was going to write a complaint about his .....y attitude, he immediately asked for my name and said that he, too, will be writing a complaint about me.

So my question to you flyer talk folks out there: 1) is my complaint going to fall on deaf ears and 2) what happens if the flight attendant writes a retaliatory complaint on me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.