Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United has the WORST customer service. [2015-Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United has the WORST customer service. [2015-Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems UA has changed the format of their flight surveys they send out. I received a survey email for a recent flight which asked specific questions about the FAs and Pilots. The survey also allowed me to identify by name a crew member for which I might have specific comments about.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Given the number of whackos out there, including stalkers, I can't blame flight crew for not wearing name tags. Perhaps the middle ground is a name tag such as "Joan A." That's good enough to identify the FA, but not enough to trail them home and massacre their family because they wouldn't give you an extra ice cube.
McDonalds, Saks, Hyatt...what's the difference between any other job facing/interacting with customers? You don't even need the last initial, a simple first name. I would put someone working at the same store/location everyday and having a name tag in the service industry to be much more prone to a "stalker" than someone who bounces around the country/world daily.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jewels421
Good to know that at 36, I'm considered a middle-aged lady.
I'm in my 40's (so is my wife), and her 20's something coworkers think we are old. Feel better now? In my 20's someone in the 60's seemed old to me, heck, they were 3 times older. Now in my 40's I have a different attitude of course, but point being I don't care what some 25 year old says about me. I already know I don't have the stamina to stay out all night, etc. With you at 36, you might not remember Magnum PI, Dukes of Hazard, Dallas, etc. Because of that I would suggest you're very young!

Wait till you hit 40...

Back on topic, I'm sometimes annoyed when a person puts both their luggage and a personal item in the Overhead, and with that its easy to be the last to board and see a bunch of small bags in the bins and assume the offending person has decided to be selfish in an effort to save floor space. With that in mind, I sometimes travel with luggage smaller than my computer bag; the computer bag stays at my feet, and the very small luggage goes overhead. It's only during those trips that the FA and fellow travelers have tried to question why its up there. You can see where I'm going with this, as its easy for a stressed FA or a tired 1K to assume the worst based on past experience, even if everyone is mistaken in specific occurrences.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Feb 18, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Given the number of whackos out there, including stalkers, I can't blame flight crew for not wearing name tags. Perhaps the middle ground is a name tag such as "Joan A." That's good enough to identify the FA, but not enough to trail them home and massacre their family because they wouldn't give you an extra ice cube.
This is soo true! My wife, former UA FA, had someone find her on Facebook who she flew with. The person, sent several emails, wondering why she hadn't accepted the friend request.

Something with a first name and last initial should be enough. First name and flight number should be enough to write a complaint in.

My wife stopped wearing her name tag, and language speaking flag, as she also got harassed by passengers of another country origin, that have some political and religious issues.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by globetrotter415
So long story short: I had a really rude United flight attendant and I asked that flight attendant for his name. He gave me his name and when he realized I was going to write a complaint about his .....y attitude, he immediately asked for my name and said that he, too, will be writing a complaint about me.

So my question to you flyer talk folks out there: 1) is my complaint going to fall on deaf ears and 2) what happens if the flight attendant writes a retaliatory complaint on me?
A DOT complaint works better.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Game over. As soon as you do anything aboard an aircraft that looks like losing your temper or challenging the absolute authority of an FA, you're sunk. Just keep your head down and don't write to UA. It could escalate into a game of he-said, she-said which you won't win.
I disagree. Write the letter. If the FA were telling the truth, he or she should have escalated the issue immediately. If an FA did make a false statement to you in the form of a threat, that person should no longer be a United employee.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 18, 2015 at 8:43 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I'd submit something to UA. If the FA isn't lying and has 'reported' you, I'd want my side of the story- and the fact that the FA only mentioned that they were going to file a complaint AFTER you asked for her name- in a blatant attempt to silence you.

I'd definitely include either a picture of myself or allude to being a 20something, short stature woman- smaller than the woman whom you are accused of 'assaulting'.

I grew up in the Midwest and most people, especially in enclosed spaces, seems rude to me. I'd tell them that you were assertive in making sure that your valuables weren't damaged.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin
I'd submit something to UA. If the FA isn't lying and has 'reported' you, I'd want my side of the story- and the fact that the FA only mentioned that they were going to file a complaint AFTER you asked for her name- in a blatant attempt to silence you.

I'd definitely include either a picture of myself or allude to being a 20something, short stature woman- smaller than the woman whom you are accused of 'assaulting'.

I grew up in the Midwest and most people, especially in enclosed spaces, seems rude to me. I'd tell them that you were assertive in making sure that your valuables weren't damaged.
So a picture of a smaller person should be proof? All we are hearing is one side of the story. Maybe just maybe, the OP was a bit rude, and maybe just maybe the Flight Attendant didn't want to disturb 150 passengers by delaying the flight to offload someone being rude.. Maybe the FA took the high road and just continued on to there day.

I see no reason why, someone should be judged by sex or size. What stops anyone from just accusing any FA that they were wrong. I've seen FA's get accused of being "rude" just because they wouldn't lift a passengers bag. (sorry rules prohibit this) I wonder how many letters UA receives that a FA was rude, because they wouldn't lift or move my bag.

The OP came off a bit rude with using the words "old lady" and 'B**chy" Some people don't intend to be rude, but just are.

OP, write the letter.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
A DOT complaint works better.
Sheesh!!! Give us a break! This is not something DOT would deal with. Unbelievable how many people are posting to file a DOT complaint on so many threads on this forum. Save it for issues of some importance and relevance to DOT, which this thread isn't.

On second thought, maybe I should file a DOT complaint about this thread. @:-)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Sheesh!!! Give us a break! This is not something DOT would deal with. Unbelievable how many people are posting to file a DOT complaint on so many threads on this forum. Save it for issues of some importance, which this thread isn't.

I agree! It's crazy someone actually thinks they should file a DOT complaint.

I'm sure DOT isn't busy dealing with real issues.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:56 pm

I had my small backpack underneath the seat in front of me and my gym bag in the overhead compartment. I stuck my duty free up in the bin because there were plenty of space before the last minute old lady and her husband popped in before they closed the door.

Should have just hidden the coffee beans under my shirt and place my fragile item/Panama hat on my head. (Didn't want to get it squished as it was a gift to my pops)
I'll agree to that. Many times trying to put my carryon bag into an overhead I've heard "be careful, there's a hat up there". I have no sympathy...it isn't a hat rack, its suitcase storage.

If you are expecting someone should gate check their bag because of coffee beans and a hat you are being selfish.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
So long story short: I had a really rude United flight attendant and I asked that flight attendant for his name. He gave me his name and when he realized I was going to write a complaint about his .....y attitude, he immediately asked for my name and said that he, too, will be writing a complaint about me.

So my question to you flyer talk folks out there: 1) is my complaint going to fall on deaf ears and 2) what happens if the flight attendant writes a retaliatory complaint on me?
Yes and nothing.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyingmike
I'll agree to that. Many times trying to put my carryon bag into an overhead I've heard "be careful, there's a hat up there". I have no sympathy...it isn't a hat rack, its suitcase storage.

If you are expecting someone should gate check their bag because of coffee beans and a hat you are being selfish.
I disagree. Although it is suitcase storage, it's not your PRIVATE suitcase storage. A lot of people travel with things that don't want damaged, and it makes sense for them to alert the next person so a little more care might be taken. Not a big deal and part of traveling with a plane load of other people.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Bingo. Duty free item = merchandise purchased in the airport, which is exempt from the rule.

Still, seems like this is a case of negative energy feeds the fuel. The FA should have a name tag on, but customers should not be rude to fellow passengers either.
I don't think you're right. Remember that duty free purchases are normally delivered to the gate by the duty free shop so you have no opportunity to carry it any other way other than as an additional bag. Shopping in the airport gives you the chance to store what you bought in another bag (gym bag in the OP's example).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
This is soo true! My wife, former UA FA, had someone find her on Facebook who she flew with. The person, sent several emails, wondering why she hadn't accepted the friend request.

Something with a first name and last initial should be enough. First name and flight number should be enough to write a complaint in.

My wife stopped wearing her name tag, and language speaking flag, as she also got harassed by passengers of another country origin, that have some political and religious issues.
If the point is to be able to identify someone, Annabelle Smith could be SMI/S. If the point is to encourage civility & friendliness with a name, then Annabelle S.

I agree there's no need for a full name.

When I joined FT in 2003, some were surprised that I would choose to post with my actual name, coming up with all manner of reasons why it might not be a good thing. It's not so odd any more. I think people are beginning to recognize that anonymity is not always a good thing, and first name/last initial offers accountability.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Feb 18, 2015 at 6:06 pm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Sheesh!!! Give us a break! This is not something DOT would deal with. Unbelievable how many people are posting to file a DOT complaint on so many threads on this forum. Save it for issues of some importance and relevance to DOT, which this thread isn't.

You should check the DOT website to better understand the complaint process; the DOT doesn't "deal" with complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.