Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Global First with infant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right forum. My spouse and I are looking to book award tickets on United Global First from SFO-HKG (747-400). Our 5 month old will be flying with us and I am concerned that that there are no bassinets available in Global First. My questions are: how difficult is it to fly with a baby without a bassinet? Is there enough room for both mother (5'9" 135 lbs) and baby in the Global First seats?

My other option is to take Asiana, which does provide bassinets for some seats in business. However, that is not a direct flight (1 stop in ICH). Would that be a better option?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:23 pm

The global first seats are a bit wider and longer than the Business First seats. Depending on how wiggly your baby is, both mom and baby will fit fine.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
I haven't flown GLobal First but I have flown BusinessFirst on a 788 from IAH-LHR overnight with a 14 month old. He was too large for the bassinet so we ended up having to sleep with him on our lap/chest. It went fine and since it was overnight it was even better. I think with a 5 month old you will be fine. The biggest saving grace was the lie-flat seat. We kept our son in the Ergo until he fell asleep and then unstrapped him. The only difficulty you'll have is eating and that is only because United refuses to serve at staggered times.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response! Makes me feel much better about booking the United flight (and paying the 10% of full first class fare for the infant).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM, DL Gold/Million Miler, AA Exec Plat/Million Miler, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by mgobluetex
I haven't flown GLobal First but I have flown BusinessFirst on a 788 from IAH-LHR overnight with a 14 month old. He was too large for the bassinet so we ended up having to sleep with him on our lap/chest. It went fine and since it was overnight it was even better. I think with a 5 month old you will be fine. The biggest saving grace was the lie-flat seat. We kept our son in the Ergo until he fell asleep and then unstrapped him. The only difficulty you'll have is eating and that is only because United refuses to serve at staggered times.
---------------------------

hunh? last 2-3 times I have flown GF I have asked for and received a meal at my choice of time...last flight was early december, so this is recent
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jetlagged
---------------------------

hunh? last 2-3 times I have flown GF I have asked for and received a meal at my choice of time...last flight was early december, so this is recent
+1
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TomMM
+1
Yes, In UA Global First it is called "executive dining" which allows the passenger to determine when they want to dine^
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sgopal2
The global first seats are a bit wider and longer than the Business First seats. Depending on how wiggly your baby is, both mom and baby will fit fine.
How do they deal with the shoulder strap requirement in GF?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mgobluetex
The only difficulty you'll have is eating and that is only because United refuses to serve at staggered times.
Did you get turndown service?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Are you going to be using a harness of some sort that attaches to the parent seat belt?

You don't want baby flying off in turbulence.

That fear causes us to always pay for a seat for the baby's car seat. Gets expensive.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
The airline will give you a lap extender belt that they will want you to use during takeoff and landing. There is plenty of space for a lap infant in global first, and you can dine at your leisure so one spouse can eat and then the other can eat while the first watches the kid.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
There certainly is enough room in Global First SFO to HKG. You may want to consider the center seats in rows 3 and 4 or one window seat and the adjacent center seat. While I have never seen a baby in GF on a HKG flight, including my flight today, it may be best to check with an agent as to some recommendations re: harness for take off and landing.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by bennettb
Yes, In UA Global First it is called "executive dining" which allows the passenger to determine when they want to dine^
The executive meal option is in BF as well.

It has been available on pmCO/sCO for at least 15 years, as far as I can remember: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9WNSnVe7pP...0/IMG_2570.JPG

I've only requested it on sUA BF a couple times and never had any problem. Even had it offered to me when I inadvertently slept through the meal service.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was recently in GF in seat 1K, and the person across the aisle from me was with an infant. I didn't notice exactly how since I was trying to not stare, but the infant was definitely held for takeoff and landing. It was a smooth flight so I think the seatbelt sign was off pretty much the entire flight. The FA brought out the infant carrier that had been stashed and the kid spent the flight on the floor by mom's feet. There was plenty of room but she couldn't put up her foot rest. A few minutes before landing everything was stowed away again. Luckily for me, the infant was quiet the entire flight.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Considering the 10% fee, it may be cheaper to use miles to buy a seat for your infant. Yes it's nice to hold the baby but it's nice to let baby rest in own seat. We did this for both domestic and international flights and enjoyed our rested arms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.