Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:12 pm

If CX can use the 77W on HKG to JFK,UA can deploy them anywhere in their network (range-wise)
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Because the 744's are long due, the 77W is a great fit

772's are being replaced by 787's
And some 789s are being replaced by 77Ws
This just dropped from the WSJ:
UA converting 787-9 options to 777-300ER

JIC you were curious about where these planes were actually coming from...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
My AA EP friend just flew MCE HK-US on AA after missing their upgrade and they said the physical seat was the same very narrow, uncomfortable seat in the rest of the cabin, but the seats were spread out a little more for more space - but if your butt does not fit comfortably in that narrow seat, MCE won't help you.
Your friend is not a reliable source for seat width data.

AA's 77Ws feature 18" wide seats in MCE and Main Cabin use seats that are just 17" wide, according to AA.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corpo...acts/fleet.jsp

When the 77W debuted, there was some confusion about whether the MCE seats were wider - and eventually, facts won the argument. The extra width is noticeable even in photographs of the cabin (and there are photos in the AA forum).

Maybe your friend thought that they were seated in MCE but they were actually seated elsewhere.

One other possibility is that your friend was in an exit row seat, which are almost always an inch or so more narrow than their non-exit row counterparts (due to fixed armrests containing tray tables, etc.).

I believe that AA did the same thing with the 772 reconfigurations - MCE uses wider seats. Haven't yet measured them myself to confirm.

At the end of the day, 9-across, 18" wide main cabin seats are going to suck compared to any business class seat on a 16 hour flight. But not quite as much as 10-across, 17" wide main cabin seats on that 16 hour flight.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Hopefully they are not 2 class 777s. The bf on the 777-200 is really dated and the service is not good. The business class on the upper deck is what I still pay to fly United along with options for F class. United Airlines was a premium airline so hopefully they continue to have 3 classes on this plane. I have not been impressed with the 2 class 777 or 787 that United uses.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Hopefully they are not 2 class 777s. The bf on the 777-200 is really dated and the service is not good.
UA is the airline of the familiar. Keep it the same: same seats, same meals, same logo, same livery. Its just like the early nineties!

it is interesting they "converted" their 789s,I don't know what the 'optionality' of those contracts actually is, but I'm guessing it helped boeing reduce their deep discount 787 book.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While WSJ is reporting it likely that the conversion is of the -9s FlightGlobal is suggesting that there are options for 10 -8s out there which might be what is converted. That makes a lot more sense to me for a number of reasons.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
UA is the airline of the familiar. Keep it the same: same seats, same meals, same logo, same livery. Its just like the early nineties!

it is interesting they "converted" their 789s,I don't know what the 'optionality' of those contracts actually is, but I'm guessing it helped boeing reduce their deep discount 787 book.
Simple. CO thought it was so successful in the 90s that they refuse to change, because we had that epic turnaround 20 years ago and are the #1 airline!

They have absolutely no intent on throwing away their 1994 rule book, no matter how far AA and DL pass them.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
With this becoming official, the oldest ten 747s will be turned into beer cans by the end of 2017. Looking at the layout of the 777-300ER, they can do 1-2-1 64 J Seats and 3-4-3 310 Y seats to match the number of premium seats and economy seats on the 747. It'll be a tight fit but, considering the slimming of the narrow body fleet, it is doable. I'm expecting these on ORD-HKG, SFO-HKG, SFO-SYD, LAX-SYD. (Hopefully I'll hit on at least two of these!) Don't rule out more or a future 777-9X order.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Wasn't there a thread or something about people being invited to Chicago to product test new seats?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Longboater
Looking at the layout of the 777-300ER, they can do 1-2-1 64 J Seats and 3-4-3 310 Y seats to match the number of premium seats and economy seats on the 747. It'll be a tight fit but, considering the slimming of the narrow body fleet, it is doable.
With what products??

CX 77W is 40 1-2-1 B/E SuperDiamond, 32 PE, and 268 in the back. You can make the 268 into ~310 in the back with 3-4-3 @ 31" or 32" slimlines but that only gives you 48-52 J (expanding to fill the PE area) and no E+.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by entropy

UA gets deep discounts on 77Ws, which they probably needed anyway.
Boeing gets a better shot at the 777 production line going right into 777X development.
Boeing frees up 789 slots to move up their delivery timetables.
All airlines in queue after UA gets slightly closer to their original delivery date.
UA's seat supplier gets to get rid of excess inventory

All in all, not a bad show for all involved.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Wasn't there a thread or something about people being invited to Chicago to product test new seats?
There was indeed. Wonder what the timeline is to rollout and whether they're far enough along for these aircraft.

UA was actually fairly generous with J and E+ on the 789 configuration. Fingers crossed for the same sort of approach with the 77W.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mduell
With what products??

CX 77W is 40 1-2-1 B/E SuperDiamond, 32 PE, and 268 in the back. You can make the 268 into ~310 in the back with 3-4-3 @ 31" or 32" slimlines but that only gives you 48-52 J (expanding to fill the PE area) and no E+.
Look at Air Canada's High Density 77W. Assuming United will be choosing the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond seat, i.e. Qatar's new business class seat, they can squeeze in 64 of them. Seven rows between 1D and 2D, and nine rows between 2D and 3D. American has 11 rows of Business in the main business cabin. Fit in three rows of E+ instead of two rows of Business. Then look at Air Canada's High Density 77W for the rest of the aircraft. It'll be a tight fit but they can BARELY fit in 64 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Class seats, which would slightly leapfrog American, stuff in 70 E+ seats and 240 E- seats in slimline signature configuration. Again, a very close fit but would pay dividends for United on some of their most heavily trafficked routes where the A350-1000 would be too small.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA was actually fairly generous with J and E+ on the 789 configuration. Fingers crossed for the same sort of approach with the 77W.
Might of been the reason they pulled out

Like the new 739's they started putting in E- in front of the exit row.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Okay, I actually went to the link and read the article and was a little underwhelmed.

10 aircraft is kind of a small order and is likely just a replacement/refresh move. This doesn't seem like a huge move towards the 773, esp. since UA has already ponied up for 35 A350s. These will likely replace the oldest/most-cycled 772s and that's probably about it, or act as a bridge for the long(er) transpac routes until the 350s and/or 777Xs show up.

Interestingly enough, UA has 14 AC from 1995-1996 still in service, but after that they went heavy into the 772-ER.
How many of these have you been on ?
Despite everyone thinks the 77W will be 2 class, I actually think it would be 3 class instead, the 10 77W is the right amount to replace the few routes just switched from 744 to 772ER, LAX-SYD and ORD-HKG, remember UA switched to 772ER is not because of the loads got lighter, it is about the 744 products in Y is just lack behind of the competitors. (the streaming movies from your own device and installing power outlets is only a temporary fix as a cheaper option to PTV, I mean what int'l carriers would choose to stream rather than PTV ?)

Other than LAX-SYD and ORD-HKG would be a good fit for 3 class 77W, it could also turn EWR-HKG from 2 class to 3 class too, so 3 routes already 6 planes already. The other 4 77W could also replace the 2 744 for SFO-NRT, and possibly also the 2 744 for SFO-HKG.

So all 3 UA HKG routes would be all 77W, and HKG do have the high yields to support 3 class planes with many GS in F.

This could actually retire the oldest 10 744 first, or maybe 5 744 and 5 772. 3 of the old non-ER 772 won't be retire as they just finished modification into 2 class domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.