Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing new IDB rules effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
DoT's 14 CFR Part 250 - OVERSALES

DoT's WRITTEN EXPLANATION OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION AND BOARDING PRIORITIES

DoT's A Consumer Guide to Air Travel -- see Overbooking

UA's Contact of Carriage -- see RULE 25 DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION

IMPORTANT: Per the DOT reg linked above, IDB compensation only applies if the flight is oversold.

-- There must be a request for volunteers
-- The IDBed individual must be given a written explanation
-- Compensation must be in cash or check form unless passengers agrees to other method
-- Delay is to destination or first stopover (a deliberate interruption of a journey by the passenger, scheduled to exceed 4 hours)

Domestic Compensation
0 to 1 hour arrival delay ... No compensation
1 to 2 hour arrival delay ... 200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675)
Over 2 hours arrival delay ... 400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350)

International Compensation
0 to 1 hour arrival delay ... No compensation
1 to 4 hour arrival delay ... 200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675)
Over 4 hours arrival delay ... 400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350)

If your ticket does not show a fare (for example, a frequent-flyer award ticket or a ticket issued by a consolidator), your denied boarding compensation is based on the lowest cash, check or credit card payment charged for a ticket in the same class of service (e.g., coach, first class) on that flight.
Exemptions
If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of “denied boarding compensation” from the airline unless:
(1) you have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or
(2) you are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or
(3) you are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or
(4) on a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or
(5) you are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or
(6) the airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.

Rule 25 Denied Boarding Compensation
A. Denied Boarding (U.S.A./Canadian Flight Origin) - When there is an Oversold UA flight that originates in the U.S.A. or Canada, the following provisions apply:1. Request for Volunteersa. UA will request Passengers who are willing to relinquish their confirmed reserved space in exchange for compensation in an amount determined by UA (including but not limited to check or an electronic travel certificate). The travel certificate will be valid only for travel on UA or designated Codeshare partners for one year from the date of issue and will have no refund value. If a Passenger is asked to volunteer, UA will not later deny boarding to that Passenger involuntarily unless that Passenger was informed at the time he was asked to volunteer that there was a possibility of being denied boarding involuntarily and of the amount of compensation to which he/she would have been entitled in that event. The request for volunteers and the selection of such person to be denied space will be in a manner determined solely by UA.

2. Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:a. Passengers who are Qualified Individuals with Disabilities, unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 years, or minors between the ages of 5 to 15 years who use the unaccompanied minor service, will be the last to be involuntarily denied boarding if it is determined by UA that such denial would constitute a hardship.

b. The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.

3. Transportation for Passengers Denied Boarding - When UA is unable to provide previously confirmed space due to an Oversold flight, UA will provide transportation to such Passengers who have been denied boarding whether voluntarily or involuntarily in accordance with the provisions below.a. UA will transport the Passenger on its own flight to the Destination without Stopover on its next flight on which space is available at no additional cost to the Passenger, regardless of class of service.

b. If space is available on another Carrier’s flight regardless of class of service, such flights may be used upon United’s sole discretion and the Passenger’s request at no additional cost to the Passenger only if such flight provides an earlier arrival than the UA flight offered in 3) a) above.

4. Compensation for Passengers Denied Boarding Involuntarilya. For passengers traveling in interstate transportation between points within the United States, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 200% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination, with a maximum of 675 USD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 400% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination with a maximum of 1350 USD.

b. For passengers traveling from the United States to a foreign point, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight originating at a U.S. airport at the rate of 200% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination, with a maximum of 675 USD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 400% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination with a maximum of 1350 USD.

c. For passengers traveling from Canada to a foreign point, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight originating at a Canadian airport with a maximum of 200 CAD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight with a maximum of 300 CAD. At the passenger’s request, compensation in the form of check, wire transfer, visa card, or a travel voucher will be made by UA, and if accepted by the Passenger, the Passenger will provide a signed receipt to UA.

d. EXCEPTIONS: A Passenger denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight shall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if:i. The flight is cancelled;
ii. The Passenger holding a Ticket for confirmed reserved space does not comply fully with the requirements in this Contract of Carriage Requirements regarding ticketing, check-in, reconfirmation procedures, and acceptance for transportation;
iii. The flight for which the Passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate the Passenger because of substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when required by operational or safety reasons or, on an aircraft with a designed passenger capacity of 60 or fewer seats, the flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate that passenger due to weight/balance restrictions when required by operational or safety reasons;
iv. The Passenger is offered accommodations or is seated in a section of the aircraft other than that specified on his/her ticket at no extra charge. Provided, if a Passenger is seated in a section for which a lower fare applies, the Passenger will be entitled to a refund applicable to the difference in fares;
v. The Passenger is accommodated on Alternate Transportation at no extra cost, which at the time such arrangements are made, is planned to arrive at the airport of the Passenger’s next Stopover, (if any), or at the Destination, not later than 60 minutes after the planned arrival time of the flight on which the Passenger held confirmed reserved space;
vi. The Passenger is an employee of UA or of another Carrier or other person traveling without a confirmed reserved space; or
vii. The Passenger does not present him/herself at the loading gate for boarding at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled domestic departures, and 30 minutes prior to scheduled international departures. See Rule 5 D) for additional information regarding boarding cut-off times.
5. Payment Time and Form for Passengers Traveling Between Points within the United States or from the United States to a Foreign Pointa. Compensation in the form of check will be made by UA on the day and at the place where the failure to provide confirmed reserved space occurs, and if accepted by the Passenger, the Passenger will provide a signed receipt to UA. However, when UA has arranged, for the Passenger’s convenience, Alternate Transportation that departs before the compensation to the Passenger under this provision can be prepared and given to the Passenger, the compensation shall be sent by mail or other means to the Passenger within 24 hours thereafter.
b. UA may offer free or reduced rate air transportation in lieu of a check payment due under this Rule, if the value of the transportation credit offered is equal to or greater than the monetary compensation otherwise due and UA informs the Passenger of the amount and that the Passenger may decline the transportation benefit and receive the monetary compensation.
6. Limitation of Liability - If UA’s offer of compensation pursuant to the above provisions is accepted by the Passenger, such payment will constitute full compensation for all actual or anticipatory damages incurred or to be incurred by the Passenger as a result of UA’s failure to provide the Passenger with confirmed reserved space. If UA’s offer of compensation pursuant to the above provisions is not accepted, UA’s liability is limited to actual damages proved not to exceed 1350 USD per Ticketed Passenger as a result of UA’s failure to provide the Passenger with confirmed reserved space. Passenger will be responsible for providing documentation of all actual damages claimed. UA shall not be liable for any punitive, consequential or special damages arising out of or in connection with UA’s failure to provide the Passenger with confirmed reserved space.

B. Denied Boarding Non-U.S.A./Canada Flight Origin - Where there is an Oversold UA flight that originates outside the U.S.A. or Canada, no compensation will be provided except where required by local or international laws regulating Oversold flights.
UA provided the following in its United Express Flight 3411 Review and Action Report

Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) Selection Process

United's involuntary denied boarding (IDB) process is automated and customers are not subject to discretionary choice by agents. This is our process:
  • First, agents will deny boarding if a passenger does not have a seat assignment prior to boarding the aircraft.
  • Customers are then sorted by fare class (estimated fare paid) and type of itinerary.
  • Customers with the lowest paid fare are placed at the top of the list for involuntary denial of boarding.
  • If a group of customers paid the same fare, then the group is sorted by time of check-in.
  • Customers with frequent flyer status will not be involuntarily denied boarding, unless all of the remaining passengers have frequent flyer status, in which case the lowest status will move to the top of the IDB list.
  • Customers with special needs (unaccompanied minors, passengers with disabilities) are excluded and are not involuntarily denied boarding.
FAQS
As a cleared Standby passenger, am I protect / due compensation if IDB'ed?

Appears no
Originally Posted by state00
The DOT representative responded to me today and said that United's interpretation is correct. 14 CFR 250 only applies to confirmed reserved space, which does not cover standby passengers. So kudos to those here who knew!

It is an interesting interpretation because when I was given a BP, my reservation on the later flight was cancelled. So does that mean that technically at that moment I had no confirmed, reserved space on any flight? Maybe flying standby to leave early is riskier than I thought!
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Originally Posted by state00
The DOT representative responded to me today and said that United's interpretation is correct. 14 CFR 250 only applies to confirmed reserved space, which does not cover standby passengers.
My DOT contact just replied with similar information. He's a recently retired DOT official who spent his career handling these types of issues and interacting with the public. He gave me permission to post his response.

Although Part 250 uses (and defines) the term “confirmed reserved space,” neither DOT, nor to my knowledge the industry, has distinguished between a reservation that is confirmed and one that is not. DOT has never acknowledged the existence of a reservation that is not confirmed. You either have a reservation or you don’t. In that sense, the word “confirmed” in the term “confirmed reserved space” (a term that goes back to the original Part 250 that was enacted fifty years ago) is redundant.

When a standby passenger is boarded – even with a seat assignment and boarding pass – this does not constitute issuing him/her confirmed reserved space. I see nothing in the definition of “confirmed reserved space” in section 250.1 that implies that clearing standby gives a passenger “confirmed reserved space.” When a flight is oversold, airlines make every effort to ensure that individuals who need to be bumped involuntarily will be denied boarding before they are boarded. That’s simply the easiest way for everyone – the airline and the passengers. But occasionally a standby passenger needs to be removed after having been boarded. That does not entitle that passenger to the protections of Part 250, as he/she never had a reservation.

Part 250 doesn’t say that passengers can’t be bumped after being boarded.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 8,856 14
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592
Print Wikipost

Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
ORD and DEN flights to YYC are mostly overbooked
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KDS777
This is why I think I have an IDB claim.
IDB by definition only happens when your flight is oversold. A delay or cancel does not count, regardless of the reason.

I would agree though that theft of your aircraft is at least equally egregious
wrp96, IndyHoosier and KDS777 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
IDB by definition only happens when your flight is oversold. A delay or cancel does not count, regardless of the reason.
Right. If it affects everybody equally, it's not IDB.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
OK, I misread a website then that made reference to aircraft swaps being the same thing if your flight results in issues.

Thx again.

Sitting in Chili"s eating on United's dime and drinking on my own. Thunderstorms have hit MIA now.... ..pretty soon it is going to be raining blood.
Thysk likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
OK, I misread a website then that made reference to aircraft swaps being the same thing if your flight results in issues.
The case where a swap results in IDB is if, for example, the swap was 739 to 738 and you were involuntarily kicked off the flight due to the decrease in seats despite it still operating.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:27 pm

So the plot thickens.

I won't say who, but it was offered up to me by someone I believe who would have absolutely no reason to misrepresent, that the incoming 737 from ORD has a part on it which will be removed to make it U/S, and installed on our aircraft, so our aircraft can depart. I mentioned this to the gate agents while I was doing something and the maintenance guy who has been hanging around for hours went pale and hid in the jetway.

Geez......UAL is becoming like the Canadian air force.

Last edited by KDS777; Jul 1, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by findark
The case where a swap results in IDB is if, for example, the swap was 739 to 738 and you were involuntarily kicked off the flight due to the decrease in seats despite it still operating.
This is actually a situation in which you explicitly do *NOT* get IDB compensation. https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ping-oversales

Originally Posted by transportation.gov
Bumped passengers are NOT eligible for compensation in the following situations:
  • Aircraft Change - A smaller plane is substituted for the larger one the airline originally planned on using due to operational or safety reasons.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K

As excrement occurs in 3's I am expecting that something will happen tomorrow when we fly from ORD-DEN-YYC.......uugghh.
maybe your 3rd piece of bad luck is that it’s supposed to be summer here in Calgary and it’s actually 15 degrees and rain, with not much improvement forecast for the week.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Our aircraft came from EWR.

Our aircraft DID NOT go mx. A different flight did and UAL stole our plane while we were boarding.

This is why I think I have an IDB claim.
There is no such thing as "your" plane. Especially in hubs, planes get swapped for any reason. All the indications you see are simply the plane that is penciled in to handle your flight.

The actual DOT regs say (IIRC) that if the plane is swapped for operational reasons, no soup for you. So if any plane is MIA, they can allocate as they see fit for overall operations.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exwannabe
There is no such thing as "your" plane. Especially in hubs, planes get swapped for any reason. All the indications you see are simply the plane that is penciled in to handle your flight.

The actual DOT regs say (IIRC) that if the plane is swapped for operational reasons, no soup for you. So if any plane is MIA, they can allocate as they see fit for overall operations.
I agree with you most of the time -- but if OP's account is correct, e.g. that they reassigned the aircraft while the flight was actively boarding I think it's fair to call it "your" plane. Any time before boarding commences? Nope -- not your plane (yet). That doesn't change the outcome as it wasn't an oversell situation that would trigger IDB per the regs, but I'd be somewhat peeved if this happened
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I agree with you most of the time -- but if OP's account is correct, e.g. that they reassigned the aircraft while the flight was actively boarding I think it's fair to call it "your" plane. Any time before boarding commences? Nope -- not your plane (yet). That doesn't change the outcome as it wasn't an oversell situation that would trigger IDB per the regs, but I'd be somewhat peeved if this happened
I accept that anybody should be very pissed off. And compensation is proper. Perhaps even more than the mandated IDB amount.

But not a formal IDB
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: ba silver
This is definitely not IDB as the flight was cancelled and the aircraft was re-assigned. It' s very bad customer service when they do it after passengers have boarded but legal. I remember years ago ( 1997) an airline called America West actually made one of their planes land in Dallas and kicked off the passengers and left them to fend for themselves so that the plane could be sent to pick up a professional baseball team who' s plane went mx. At least the passengers got a personal phone call from the CEO and a free round trip ticket.

As for your situation ( the passenger stuck in Miami) what I find appalling is that some lazy agent would' t re-route you on another airline even though it was United' s fault. Thankfully pretty soon if you are flying through or from Canada our new passenger bill of rights will require airlines to re-route after a certain amount of delay on any airline, something some airline agents are reluctant to do, due to the extra effort involved. Let's hope the U.S.adopts the same type of rule. I understand delays happen but airlines should be required to do whatever it takes to get passengers to their destination with the least amount of delays, and not left to the whim of the employee doing the re-booking, under penalty of severe fines. I don't think compensation should be owed though as we all pay for that with increased fares. Hope the rest of your trip went well.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:16 pm

Of course my account is correct.

We were boarded with the door open for an unusually extended period waiting for it to close and push back.

Originally Posted by david_oz

maybe your 3rd piece of bad luck is that it’s supposed to be summer here in Calgary and it’s actually 15 degrees and rain, with not much improvement forecast for the week.
I can't wait actually !!!

Sitting in DEN waiting to board my last segment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2019 at 6:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Let's hope the U.S.adopts the same type of rule.
I could not disagree more. I enjoy low fares and am happy to pay the price in terms of the occasional delay. I feel bad for the OP, but it could have happened to any of us. (I’ve had a plane reassigned five minutes prior to boarding, but, admittedly, never after boarding had commenced)...

If OP were on the diverted flight, we’d have a story about how great UA’s customer service was. Everything’s relative.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jsloan

I could not disagree more. I enjoy low fares and am happy to pay the price in terms of the occasional delay. I feel bad for the OP, but it could have happened to any of us. (I’ve had a plane reassigned five minutes prior to boarding, but, admittedly, never after boarding had commenced)...

If OP were on the diverted flight, we’d have a story about how great UA’s customer service was. Everything’s relative.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. It is astonishing to see a government (Canada) coddle the over-entitlement mentality and pass a law like this. At the end of the day, the customer is going to pick up the cost for this, as they always do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.