Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw (OJ)?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted.

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: It has become extremely difficult to book an open-jaw at the stopover. Best not to count on getting one.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: No.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a "free one-way" I can get on a UA award?
A: The term "free one-way" is a misnomer and often confuses people (and may annoy the regulars here!). The technical definition of this concept is "stopover at origin." There have been mixed reports recently about UA's willingness to ticket a stopover at origin.

Important Notes - PLEASE READ:

1. Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it. This is probably the number one error made in attempting to construct a complex itinerary. If you have more than two stops >24 hours on a roundtrip award, it is not legal and will not ticket.

2. An open jaw always creates a stopover, even if you're stopping for less than 24 hours.

3. Many awards are subject to segment or "transfer" limitations. For example, the North America to South Asia award is currently restricted to four transfers in each direction.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]
Print Wikipost

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SychoSly
Can anyone help me with this routing:

Leg 1: ORD > FRA > FRA > BCN - Stay in Barcelona for 3 days
Leg 2: BCN > LIS > LIS > MAD - Stay in Madrid for 3 days
Leg 3: DUS > ORD - 7 days later open jaw to head home
Looks OK to me.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: UMP Silver and Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Looks OK to me.
Thank you
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:24 pm

I would like to take advantage of the Open Jaw/Stopover Award Bookings. I am planning a trip to South America and would like the following itineraries but am having no luck booking them.

CAE to IGU or ASU
IGU or ASU to GIG
GIG to CAE

UA or a *Alliance partner should fly to IGU but if not I'm open to ASU. My other assumption is that the number of connecting flights from CAE is causing the errors.

Is this route allowable and am I maximizing the use of miles?

I don't have an open jaw and wondering if I can book one using a nearby airport like CLT or CHS for another trip.

TIA!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:02 am

Award rules & Segments

Hi everyone,

I have two questions.

1. I've been reading online through blogs and Flyertalk and I just want to make sure that I'm understanding correctly. A friend of mine is planning a trip US-Egypt-Russia.

He is wanting to have a stopover and open jaw in Russia, something like this.
EWR-CAI-DME//LED-FRA-EWR

According to United country zones, Egypt falls under Middle East and Russia under Europe. Middle East is considered a stronger Zone than Europe, thus this wouldn't be a legal routing, because the open jaw must be at the destination or point of return (in this case CAI and not DME). Would this be correct?

2. I have not been able to find any resources on the limit of award segments for a trip from US-Middle East. One site claims is unlimited, but I can't find any confirmations. I was able to find the limits for Europe, Asia and Oceania.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
So guys, when booking complicated bookings like this where some flights that you want dont have saver awards available. Whats the best way to book?

Do you just book the standard award for the flight you want, then watch for a saver to appear? Or do you book another flight entirely and waitlist for the saver?

My concern is whether waitlisting might "break" things and change a long layover to a stopover for example.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by njxbean
So guys, when booking complicated bookings like this where some flights that you want dont have saver awards available. Whats the best way to book?

Do you just book the standard award for the flight you want, then watch for a saver to appear? Or do you book another flight entirely and waitlist for the saver?

My concern is whether waitlisting might "break" things and change a long layover to a stopover for example.

Thanks.
As a 1K? Book what you can and change it if/when saver award space opens on your desired flights. Be realistic though about what's likely to open. If you're counting on a particular ps flight opening in saver J, for example, that's not realistic.

Note that you cannot:

1. mix standard/saver on a one-way itinerary, although you can mix as halves of a roundtrip;
2. book standard and waitlist for saver
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
As a 1K? Book what you can and change it if/when saver award space opens on your desired flights. Be realistic though about what's likely to open. If you're counting on a particular ps flight opening in saver J, for example, that's not realistic.

Note that you cannot:

1. mix standard/saver on a one-way itinerary, although you can mix as halves of a roundtrip;
2. book standard and waitlist for saver
Thanks. So even if i book standard on flight A, i cant waitlist for saver on flight b?

Makes sense. I am platinum btw. Not sure if that changes anything(need to update the profile).

Let me ask you this. Regarding mixing standard and saver. I will be using the maximum allowed segments. Some of them have saver availability while others do not. For example as half of the round trip i have certain flights that have saver availability while others do not. Are you saying if they all arent saver than i need to book standard? How does that work?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Makes sense. I am platinum btw. Not sure if that changes anything(need to update the profile).
No, same fee waiver for Plat.

Regarding mixing standard and saver. I will be using the maximum allowed segments. Some of them have saver availability while others do not. For example as half of the round trip i have certain flights that have saver availability while others do not. Are you saying if they all arent saver than i need to book standard? How does that work?
For UA operated portions of the one-way (inbound or outbound), if there are standard segments, it's going to price and book as standard.

Note there is no such thing as *A partner standard inventory, so the booking class for any partner operated segments (X, I, or O) will be the same regardless.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Hi, just a question about UA routing/stopover/OJ rules. Does the following itinerary meet all criteria and is it legal?

TYS-IAD-LHR-FRA (stopover)
FRA-ICN (destination)
(OJ) PUS-PEK-ORD-TYS.

I have found availability on all segments individually on UA.com but when I do a multi city search I don't see the desired flights.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by zainman
Hi, just a question about UA routing/stopover/OJ rules. Does the following itinerary meet all criteria and is it legal?

TYS-IAD-LHR-FRA (stopover)
FRA-ICN (destination)
(OJ) PUS-PEK-ORD-TYS.

I have found availability on all segments individually on UA.com but when I do a multi city search I don't see the desired flights.
Should be OK; just call it in to get the multi-city trip booked. The website doesn't handle those nearly as well as it used to.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:46 pm

So another dumb question. On the last leg of my adventure, i have hkg->ewr(in october) as a saver in economy. Can i waitlist of the saver in BF on the same flight or would i need to be on another flight to waitlist for saver in BF on the direct?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:49 pm

So another dumb question. On the last leg of my adventure, i have hkg->ewr(in october) as a saver in economy. Can i waitlist of the saver in BF on the same flight or would i need to be on another flight to waitlist for saver in BF on the direct?
You can absolutely waitlist for BF on the same segment you are confirmed in Y on, assuming it is UA metal.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:27 am

I'm getting an error message for this but this should work, right? Or do PEK and HKG need to be in the same region?

PHL-YYZ-HKG
PEK-JNB
JNB-FRA-PHL
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
You can absolutely waitlist for BF on the same segment you are confirmed in Y on, assuming it is UA metal.
So, i have:

ewr-hnl - on ua
hnl-nrt - on ua
nrt-bkk - on tg
bkk-hkg - on tg
hkg-ewr - on ua

They were able to waitlist me on hkg-ewr because there was a saver available on bkk-hkg and they said it was a "thru fare". But they are telling me they cant waitlist me for the other segments and i just have to keep checking.

Is this a situation i should call back and try another agent?

Last edited by njxbean; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:45 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:04 am

So, i have:

ewr-hnl - on ua
hnl-nrt - on ua
nrt-bkk - on tg
bkk-hkg - on tg
hkg-ewr - on ua

They were able to waitlist me on hkg-ewr because there was a saver available on bkk-hkg and they said it was a "thru fare". But they are telling me they cant waitlist me for the other segments and i just have to keep checking.

Is this a situation i should call back and try another agent?
No that's wrong you can waitlist on the UA operated segments. The agent(s) you were talking to just didn't know how to do it from a saver economy award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.