Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:55 am
RJ1

Mike Jacoubowsky and Kacee, thanks very much. Family member has uncertain health, but not serious enough at this point to flat out cancel the trip entirely.

Just trying to be prepared if I have to make an unscheduled return. A first time for me on an award ticket.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Partner award - did not fly forgot to cancel

I just realized that I had booked an award on Asiana that I totally forgot to cancel and never flew the flight. Am I out of luck or is there anyway to get the miles back? The flight I was supposed to take was on December 5, 2014. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
doesn't hurt to ask, but i'd say your chances are very very slim. you'll need a very strong reason (like medical or family emergency) for the agent to consider evaluating your case of no show.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by 787fan
doesn't hurt to ask, but i'd say your chances are very very slim. you'll need a very strong reason (like medical or family emergency) for the agent to consider evaluating your case of no show.
That is what I expected, but I was not 100% sure, thanks for the info.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sjmoss23
I just realized that I had booked an award on Asiana that I totally forgot to cancel and never flew the flight. Am I out of luck or is there anyway to get the miles back? The flight I was supposed to take was on December 5, 2014. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You should be able to get your miles back.

A no show does not forfeit an award ticket.

WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS WHICH HAVE NOT EXPIRED
MAY BE REDEPOSITED UPON PAYMENT OF--
/PER PERSON/
GLOBAL SERVICES ELITE - 0.00 USD
PREMIER 1K ELITE - 0.00 USD
PREMIER PLATINUM ELITE - 0.00 USD
PREMIER GOLD ELITE - 100.00 USD
PREMIER SILVER ELITE - 125.00 USD
NON-ELITE - 200.00 USD
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
I have a pre-deval One-Way Star Alliance partner award that I've successfully changed several times and pushed into the future.

I now have the award successfully ticketed for July 2015.

I understand the one-year clause in the terms/conditions but if the website successfully ticketed what issues could I run into when the time comes to travel ? Anyone else push pre-deval awards successfully out past the 1 year mark?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Booking award ticket as Platinum and then making changes when dropping to Gold

Advantage of Platinum is that I can cancel the award ticket; or make changes less than 21 days prior to the date of travel; or changing origin/destination at any time without any fee.

What happens if I book an award ticket as Platinum (before Jan 31), and decide to make changes to the award ticket after Feb 1, when I'll probably be dropping to Gold? Will I still get the Platinum benefits of the award booking as a Gold member?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
Advantage of Platinum is that I can cancel the award ticket; or make changes less than 21 days prior to the date of travel; or changing origin/destination at any time without any fee.

What happens if I book an award ticket as Platinum (before Jan 31), and decide to make changes to the award ticket after Feb 1, when I'll probably be dropping to Gold? Will I still get the Platinum benefits of the award booking as a Gold member?
Status at time of changes will be the determining factor of change fees or not. So if you're gold come Feb. 1st, you'll get charged fees for any chance after that date.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Status at time of changes will be the determining factor of change fees or not. So if you're gold come Feb. 1st, you'll get charged fees for any chance after that date.
This may also fall under the category of asking nicely a few times with HUCA. I agree that fees are likely due, but it is a bit of a gray area. I say that optimistically as someone in the same situation.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by astroflyer
This may also fall under the category of asking nicely a few times with HUCA. I agree that fees are likely due, but it is a bit of a gray area. I say that optimistically as someone in the same situation.
But that's assuming that an agent would be able to see that the OP was a Plat at time of booking. We don't know if they can see the historical or if they only see the current status on their screens.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
News to me...

I'm going to cancel 2 awards tix (B/F, so 40K each to HI) that I booked in Aug. 2014 (M-I-L is in hospital). My 2 options are: cancel, rebook & complete travel by Aug. 2015 or cancel & redeposit miles. First option is $100 each in fees. Second option is $200 each.

But, while chatting with a UA rep., if I do option #1 and then rebook a flt for next week, I'll also have to pay the close-in booking fee of $75. That would be a total of $175 ($100 + $75) in fees. Since B/F seats are pretty scarce for next week I'm thinking the best option for us is to pay the $200 each and redeposit miles. This way I can just pay cash for a flt (ca. $375 each).

Thoughts? Options I'm missing?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by philemer
I'm going to cancel 2 awards tix (B/F, so 40K each to HI) that I booked in Aug. 2014 (M-I-L is in hospital). My 2 options are: cancel, rebook & complete travel by Aug. 2015 or cancel & redeposit miles. First option is $100 each in fees. Second option is $200 each.

But, while chatting with a UA rep., if I do option #1 and then rebook a flt for next week, I'll also have to pay the close-in booking fee of $75. That would be a total of $175 ($100 + $75) in fees. Since B/F seats are pretty scarce for next week I'm thinking the best option for us is to pay the $200 each and redeposit miles. This way I can just pay cash for a flt (ca. $375 each).

Thoughts? Options I'm missing?
The agent was wrong. You don't have to cancel to make a change. Changing your dates of travel will cost $100, not $175.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:07 am

*A Metal Changed United Award

Hey FT,

The SO and I are taking a trip to Europe in May and I received an email stating that one of our connections was changed, resulting in a 5 Hour Layover in MUC

Original: EWR --> MUC (12:25p departure) --> CDG
New: EWR --> MUC (4:55p departure) --> CDG

This would qualify for a free change on UA as it is >2hr, but this isn't on UA metal, it is on LH metal. I looked to see if our original flight was still available on the award page last week (after said email) and it was. Just checked before calling and it doesn't seem to be listed anymore. There is a 3:30 LH flight (full fair 700+) listed, but that flight does not appear on the award search.

I know when I call, I should request the Alliance Desk. Any pointers on what I should ask for/aim for? What would be a reasonable request? No status, so proactive changes would cost too much. This change basically kills one afternoon/evening of our short vaca.

I know it is difficult because it is LH metal, not UA. Should I just bite the bullet and plan on becoming good friends with the brewery at MUC? I would assume 5hrs is too short for a trip into the city.

Thanks folks,

T
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes and after the flight also (aka -- be a no show). The only limitation is the ticket must be used within a year of original purchase to avoid redepositing miles.
Just double-checking (as there are a lot of miles at stake):

So I can actually wait to cancel a UA-metal award flight until the last moment (or even just not show up) and they will still re-deposit the miles (I'm a 1K)?? Not showing up is not good form obviously, but just asking to be sure.

Also, I assume if I'm not certain until the last moment whether I'm flying I should not check in until I know I'm flying, correct?

Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by AnywhereButALB
Hey FT,
This would qualify for a free change on UA as it is >2hr, but this isn't on UA metal, it is on LH metal.
Whose metal it is has nothing to do with it. Your itinerary changed more than two hours, you can change for free, subject to availability.

I know when I call, I should request the Alliance Desk.
Not necessary. Any reservations agent can change this ticket for you.

Any pointers on what I should ask for/aim for?
Do your research in advance, find flights that work better for you, then ask for them. Keep in mind that UA cannot open seats on partner metal (and may not be willing to open seats on its own metal on these facts, but you can still ask).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.