Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Chase MP Plus Visa Companion Fare Certificate" - updated with 2019 T&C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
prior companion cert - based on zone fares discussed in Consolidated "MP Plus Visa Zone Fare Certificate" Thread [Merged]

2019 zone fares:
2019 Letter Language:
2019 Terms & Conditions:
Appears June 2016 a return to the zone fare approach

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Chase MP Plus Visa Companion Fare Certificate" - updated with 2019 T&C

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:33 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I just received a SECOND companion certificate. Different ticket designator (CHZ4 came in January, and CHZ5 just came today, with a few more months on it than the original).

Anyone know, can I use this for an extra seat for myself on a CRJ flight? The zone fare is cheaper than the roundtrip for one I'm looking for at united.com.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
.... Anyone know, can I use this for an extra seat for myself on a CRJ flight? ...
Would think that would work -- you have to book with a live agent, these zone companion tickets cannot be done online

....The zone fare is cheaper than the roundtrip for one I'm looking for at united.com.
Two things to check first
1) The zone fares requires L inventory -- probably not available if the cash price is high.
2) The zone fare is not the total fare, a recent $564 zone fare ended up at $100 higher once all the taxes & fees got added in. Still cheaper than the 2x$441 L fare.

An interesting aside, the booking elite gets all the zone fare as PQD, so higher PQD for the elite, no PQD for the companion.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:13 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Two things to check first
1) The zone fares requires L inventory -- probably not available if the cash price is high.
2) The zone fare is not the total fare, a recent $564 zone fare ended up at $100 higher once all the taxes & fees got added in. Still cheaper than the 2x$441 L fare.

An interesting aside, the booking elite gets all the zone fare as PQD, so higher PQD for the elite, no PQD for the companion.
Thanks.

But I'm in a captive market with outrageous prices paid to ORD and back. Look at MBS-ORD, any weeklong trip more than 2 months out. I picked August 14-21 (Wednesday-Wednesday). $673 roundtrip. Zone 4-4, even at $311++, it is quite the savings, especially if I can get a second seat and have Hobo-CRJ-First-Class.

And lots of low fare classes to book, the basic roundtrip does book into H, but there are lots of cheap classes, even awards available.

Aug 14, MBS-ORDs mostly show something like: Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K8 G4 N9 XN9 X4 ...So the inventory is there, even though it's not pulling L as a fare class, as long as the inventory bucket is available, I've never had trouble booking it.

Also, I've already made both of them electronic by going to the /papercertificate page on the website, as was instructed. You think if I just book myself and have the second "person's" name as "EXTRA/SEAT" that it would work?!?!!?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... You think if I just book myself and have the second "person's" name as "EXTRA/SEAT" that it would work?!?!!?
The Companion Zone booking cannot be made online, you will be provided a number to call. You can then handle the EXTRASEAT at that time.

These Companion Zone fares do work best with a limited service outstation is involved -- I used them for years to FSD (MIL).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think this is also a case though where this is literally no reason not to wait a while to book. It's not like the flight is going to sell out of H fares.

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf   T Start     T End     Expiry
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  TEA0AABS       N   Y     $76.00  RT        S   30            N             22-May-19
 UA  TEA0AAEX       T   Y     $76.00  RT        S   30            N             22-May-19
 UA  TEA0AADS       T   Y     $86.00  RT        S   30            N             22-May-19
 UA  SEA0AABS       N   Y    $101.00  RT        S   30            N             22-May-19
 UA  SEA0AAEX       S   Y    $101.00  RT        S   30            N             22-May-19
 UA  SEA0AADS       S   Y    $111.00  RT        S   30            N             22-May-19

UA  HAA7AAEN       H   Y    $322.00  OW   7                      N
 UA  EAA3AAEN       E   Y    $372.00  OW   3                      N
 UA  MAA0AAEN       M   Y    $422.00  OW                          N
 UA  BAA0AAEY       B   Y    $528.00  OW                          Y
 UA  YAA0AAEY       Y   Y    $878.00  OW                          Y
 UA  Y              Y   Y  $2,230.00  OW                          Y
Also, lol, they don't even bother publishing First fares.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Instead of Hawaii this year I think I might use mine for SFO-ASE where the prices seem to stay around $580, vs $390 + taxes and fees for 2 using this cert.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:37 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The Companion Zone booking cannot be made online, you will be provided a number to call. You can then handle the EXTRASEAT at that time.

These Companion Zone fares do work best with a limited service outstation is involved -- I used them for years to FSD (MIL).
1. Then why did I go through the hassle of turning the paper certificate into an electronic certificate?

2. Exactly my situation.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:53 pm

1. Then why did I go through the hassle of turning the paper certificate into an electronic certificate? ....
So that you can book when you call. Even then agent needs to sent the request to the fare desk for pricing -- even the agents cannot do this.

In the old system (pre-2010?) you had to mail the actual certificate
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just got the 2020 Certificate Letter via USPS today.

Letter language is the same. Revised Ticket designator reference. As far as I can tell, the zone fares are the same - the Zone Fares insert itself is nowhere as colorful as last year's.

Here's a shot of the T's and C's:

Here's the Zone Fare insert:

Front of the insert has the same language/text as last year.

David
Old May 7, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Wondering if anyone has requested an extension for the 2019 Companion Certificates that were supposed to be ticketed by April 30, 2020 with travel complete by June 30, 2020.

Probably overly optimistic but hoping for a one year extension as was given for ETCs
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, another year, another letter/cert received.

BLUF: Here's the zone chart - appears to be the same as last year:

Here's the whole package:

David
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, another year, another letter/cert received.

BLUF: Here's the zone chart - appears to be the same as last year:

Here's the whole package:

David
Never used the cert once in the 10+ years I had the card but they kept comping the annual fee. When they said no this year, switched down to the gateway
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United and Chase looking to drop the certificate: see United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa

David
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:51 pm

Appears Chase / UA are converting the Platinum Visa to Quest Card --
see Coming Soon: United Quest Card (was Platinum Visa)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.