Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best TATL *A Business Class Choice [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best TATL *A Business Class Choice [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by enviroian
No, I was in J and upstairs trust me

It wasn't a 748.
They have removed F and replaced it with the newer J on the 744. I think it's worth the extra miles.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
I would take LH for the good seat, service and the fact that they will get you to your destination. With UA all of those points are a gamble.

I believe LH's business class lie-flat seat installation is fully complete.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
All LH J are lie flats
They have angled flats and the new C is layflats
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
They have angled flats and the new C is layflats
As tealeaf99 and enviroian noted, the retrofit is complete and LH is all lie-flats

See this thread in the LH forum for more info.

The 744 has been updated to remove F and is now J on the upper deck.

To enviroian's question, I would do PHX-DEN-FRA using the extra miles to be on LH. The 2 hour connection is a bit tight, but not terrible in DEN. Yes, there is a chance of weather, but the LH flight is an out/back from FRA, so it tends to go, even if it's late. You can always try to get an earlier PHX-DEN flight if it looks like weather is coming.

Last edited by tods27; Dec 14, 2015 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I'd fly UA via IAH. The soft product is worse but I like the UA hard product better than LH J (even with the new flatbed seats).

Also, LH is very prone to going on strike.

To me the strongest argument in favor of LH would be the 2 hour layover instead of 4 hours.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:12 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
If you're headed to LHR why not find a way to do this with one stop only instead of two? UA flies to LHR from most their major hubs (e.g. IAH / IAD / SFO / LAX / ORD / EWR)

I've flown UA J LHR - SFO and it was plenty comfortable.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
IAH / IAD / SFO / LAX / ORD / EWR
Zero saver award availability in business from any of these hubs on my dep date of 12/22.

Trust me I tried, no dice.

ETA: a phx-iah-lhr flight popped up in saver J. However the later phx-iah flight only allows 45 minutes to connect (no way am I trusting UA) and the next earlier flight still puts me at iah for over 4 hours.

There is a 380 iah-fra saver J in LH on the 388 available. If you had a choice to fly that or the 744 what would you choose? I assume both J products are the same on the 744 and 388?

Last edited by enviroian; Dec 14, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Zero saver award availability in business from any of these hubs on my dep date of 12/22.

Trust me I tried, no dice.

ETA: a phx-iah-lhr flight popped up in saver J. However the later phx-iah flight only allows 45 minutes to connect (no way am I trusting UA) and the next earlier flight still puts me at iah for over 4 hours.

There is a 380 iah-fra saver J in LH on the 388 available. If you had a choice to fly that or the 744 what would you choose? I assume both J products are the same on the 744 and 388?
I met someone that was same in your case. She took the LH flight because she prefers LH over UA any day. Except her final destination was MUC instead of LHR.

She could have gone PHX-IAH-MUC
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)

Two thoughts.

1. I'd do the earlier phx-iah-lhr with the 4 hour layover. I really hate extra stops on long haul flights.

2. I'd choose LH744 upper deck over the A380. To me the A380 upper deck is quite unappealing...it's big & full of people (and potential noise from them). The only reason to fly it is if you want an A380 just to have flown that plane.

The one downside of the LH744 upper deck, in comparison, is that their overhead bins are tiny and can't accommodate typical rollaboards (and unlike the UA 744 upper deck they don't have a closet to store them). I may be mistaking it for their 748i upper deck, though.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by endrond
Two thoughts.

1. I'd do the earlier phx-iah-lhr with the 4 hour layover. I really hate extra stops on long haul flights.

2. I'd choose LH744 upper deck over the A380. To me the A380 upper deck is quite unappealing...it's big & full of people (and potential noise from them). The only reason to fly it is if you want an A380 just to have flown that plane.

The one downside of the LH744 upper deck, in comparison, is that their overhead bins are tiny and can't accommodate typical rollaboards (and unlike the UA 744 upper deck they don't have a closet to store them). I may be mistaking it for their 748i upper deck, though.
Thanks for your points.

1. I don't mind the extra layover. I would rather hang out at FRA at the lounge where I can shower and relax than get into LHR early in the morning and face jet lag sitting at my mom's house at noon rather than 5 PM. Of course YMMV.

2. Point noted. I have never flown the 380 and what comes to mind is a boat load of people on the upper deck. The upper deck on the 744 was quite quiet.

3. I'm checking in my rollerboard and only have a backpack so n/a to the bin.

4. Is the hard product on the 388 the same as the 744?]

ETA: all those choices have vanished from two hours ago

Last edited by enviroian; Dec 14, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
UA BF, LX Business or LH Business

Looking at a business fare.

The outbound TATL is EWR-ATH on a 767, UA124, which Seatguru lists as having 2-2-2 in BF.

Alternatively, there is an SFO-MUC on LH459, an A340. Seatguru says angled lie flat. I thought LH would have converted their whole fleet by now?

There's also SFO-ZRH on LX37, another A340. Seatguru shows 2-2-1 configuration lie flats.

The return TATLs are on LX36, LH458 or UA927. The LX and LH planes are again A340s and the UA is 747. It's 2-4-2 in the main floor (bleach) but 2-2 in the upper deck.

I would think the 747 is the best if I could get a seat in the upper deck.

Any thoughts on the LX and LH 340s? Especially vs. the UA 767?

Currently prices out to about the same for latter half of July travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.