Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best TATL *A Business Class Choice [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best TATL *A Business Class Choice [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It depends how nostalgic you are, but the Queen of the Skies won't be flying for United (or any US carrier) all that much longer. I'm planning to spend a few more days on the Upper Deck before these classic aircraft go the way of the dodo bird.

I've been on the UD of the 747-8 and it's nice, but just not the same. A 747-400 UD J ride is the closest I'll ever come to flying on a private jet.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I am not sure if all the SFO-MUC 346s have the new C. I checked the LH tool for flights this week, and some came up as old C.
The LH thread says 13/20 converted to new C. Which may be different from what I said elsewhere a while back. New Business Class Line Retrofit, Routes, etc.. F retrofit was 18/19 as of January. New F Retrofit Thread.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FTstudent
A no to the 763. I really think they should set that plane on fire. 2-2-2 seating is too cramped.
There are two versions.
The one with three classes is 2-2-2 but the one with 2 classes is 2-1-2.
I agree that it is NOT my preferred UA BF-seating bird.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I've flown all of your options. My ranking is

1. Direct, LH on an A346
2. Through FRA, UA on a 744
3. Through FRA, LH on an A388

Note: I'm assuming you won't be upgrading C->F. Also, I'm taking into account the risk that LH planes will feature crappy slanted seats.

Avoiding a connection is a huge deal for me, and FRA is a terrible place to connect.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd take the nonstop regardless of the product.

If I did stop, it would be somewhere I could get a guaranteed LH lie-flat to MUC.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Well i went for the direct - cross fingers for new C.

The RDM are going to suck under the new scheme. Would have booked through united.com, but I couldn't get it to ticket the return I wanted, which was on Swiss.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by transportprof
It depends how nostalgic you are, but the Queen of the Skies won't be flying for United (or any US carrier) all that much longer. I'm planning to spend a few more days on the Upper Deck before these classic aircraft go the way of the dodo bird.

I've been on the UD of the 747-8 and it's nice, but just not the same. A 747-400 UD J ride is the closest I'll ever come to flying on a private jet.
I ended up taking the LH 748 from ORD to FRA and it was a fantastic flight. The experience of flying in the upper deck in a 747 - a first for me - made the trip a delight, even though taking this segment added some extra travel time to my itinerary.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
For me a true lie-flat (180) pretty much trumps anything if you want to get any sleep. That said, I agree with most here that the upper deck of the 747 is the way to go. The only down side to this on United (outside of the spotty service and food) is if you are traveling alone and have to choose between aisle or window.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:04 am

United or Lufthansa Business Class

Hello,

Planning my European trip in September and have a choice to fly from EWR-FRA-MAD on Lufthansa, on 747-8 (i could even fly from JFK on the A380, but that's inconvenient for a number of reasons) or fly a United 777-2 EWR-BRU-MAD.

Both would be in business class. Anything to note? Should I jump at the chance to get Lufthansa business class ? I'm familiar with United though and enjoy that.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Here are my thoughts

You are likely going to be on the new LH biz class, which is very good, vs. a pmCO business first. Some people prefer the pmUA biz1st to the pmCO, but I am the opposite. The hard product pmCO vs LH is about the same. I prefer the UA soft service vs. LH. There is no snack bar, and their executive dining isnt great. Aside from that, I find LH and UA to be on par with each other.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you're not going to take the UA nonstop, LH is a no brainer.

LH has a far better J product on their 748 (lie-flat) than 388 (slanted).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
LH lounge at EWR will also be a much more enjoyable experience

Take the upper deck on the 748 in a heartbeat!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
LH has a far better J product on their 748 (lie-flat) than 388 (slanted).
According to the LH thread, all the 388s have now been converted to new business class. New Business Class Retrofit (see Post 1530).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
LH 747 over UA LH 388 old business then United. LH f vs united any day...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by philfna
LH 747 over UA LH 388 old business then United. LH f vs united any day...
There is no LH 388 old business.

But, as to the OP's question, for the outbound, where sleep is the priority, go with the non-stop. It may be UA but you get a perfectly good flat bed and you can ignore the "food" and the attitude because you are sleeping.

For the return, then it's a different matter and you can set out to enjoy the experience. I would choose LH or LX over UA any day in those circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.