Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best TATL *A Business Class Choice [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best TATL *A Business Class Choice [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not if you are flying from SEA. As it appears OP would be. The routings through YVR, SFO, LAX, DEN, etc. are IMO much preferred from the west coast.
but he is in "Princeton, NJ" at least that's what his profile says, how do you know he is located in SEA?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
but he is in "Princeton, NJ" at least that's what his profile says, how do you know he is located in SEA?
Oops, I was reading steveman518's profile
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Oops, I was reading steveman518's profile

Direct flight is always better when flying on award, for me at least.
I do agree that availably might be an issue, but what I like to do when I want to book J and dont want to spend the extra miles... I book J class to somewhere close in EU, like LIS in this case. fly J on UA to LIS and then Y from LIS to MAD on *A, that way the flight is charged for the UA miles.

As for short flights in the EU (actually even the long ones) on almost all airliners, J class is a Y class with food and blocked middle seat. space between seats is not even E+. I don't see the point in flying J class within the EU.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for the responses...I was really wondering more about TAP as I've read some not great reviews on this airline. I am flying EWR to MAD and then BCN back to EWR with 2 of us...not worried so much about the miles as just a comfortable flight experience and those were the only 3 options within my date ranges.

MB
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
TP is 100% slanted (don't bother)
LH is sometimes slanted sometimes flat (really luck of the draw)
AC is 100% flat but requires connection

UA is absolutely no brainer - guaranteed flat bed and nonstop from EWR. Sure it's a 752 but I'll take this option over the others.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by lionmb
Thanks for the responses...I was really wondering more about TAP as I've read some not great reviews on this airline. I am flying EWR to MAD and then BCN back to EWR with 2 of us...not worried so much about the miles as just a comfortable flight experience and those were the only 3 options within my date ranges.

MB
I don't know if you are just going to drive or not from MAD to BCN but if you are flying best route is with TAP, make sure the flight within EU is booked on Y class (Economy).

Well the 75K miles you save will get you another trip to somewhere else. big spender
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A key question, as a TATL flight if from the east coast, it is likely to be roughly 8 hour flight (short by some international standards) and may be in the daylight. -- Is lie flat seating a key want or if not sleeping then what would be the key factors (IFE, food, ...)?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A key question, as a TATL flight if from the east coast, it is likely to be roughly 8 hour flight (short by some international standards) and may be in the daylight. -- Is lie flat seating a key want or if not sleeping then what would be the key factors (IFE, food, ...)?
I'm pretty sure UA only has one or two daytime TATL flights (to LHR) so there is a nearly 100% chance it will be a red-eye so to me yes lie flats matter. The 752 - as a couple, in the summer (no return diversions lol), is a great experience - I wouldn't look any further.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Most east coast to Europe are overnight flights, making the bed the most important criteria.

Daylight westbound Europe - NA flights, the food and IFE may play a higher role. For me, no amount of caviar and 23" 1080p programming can get me to sacrifice a good night's sleep.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I'm pretty sure UA only has one or two daytime TATL flights (to LHR) so there is a nearly 100% chance it will be a red-eye so to me yes lie flats matter. The 752 - as a couple, in the summer (no return diversions lol), is a great experience - I wouldn't look any further.
EWR-LIS is one of the shorter 752 TATL flights that UA has, so I don't think winter diversions happen that often.

Berlin, on the other hand .... might as well schedule it as TXL-Gander-EWR.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 15, 2015 at 3:42 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by 787fan
EWR-LIS is one of the shorter 752 TATL flights that UA has, so I don't think winter diversions happen that often.

Berlin, on the other hand .... might as well schedule it as TXL-Gander-EWR.
LOL No kidding - I won't fly that route...

OP is flying back from BCN in June - no issues there I hope!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for all the recommendations...think UA is the way to go. On a lighter note, "he" is a "she" living in Princeton...and I'm taking my daughter...so no worries on the diversions, summer or winter!

MB
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Silver
Which would you choose SFO-MUC, in C?

Dear FTers - I am trying to decide which route to book:

Through FRA, UA on a 744
Through FRA, LH on an A388
Direct, LH on an A346

Both LH flights are supposed to have the new C according to the ticketing seat map, but I don't know how meaningful that is. (Too far out to use the LH tool).

Thanks for your advice!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Hello OP,

Please check this FT Wiki thread, it will answer all your questions regarding whether the aircraft has the new C or not.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...outes-etc.html

On top of that, given that LH SFO-MUC on the 346 has the new C, it's a no brainer for you to choose that route.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
Dear FTers - I am trying to decide which route to book:

Through FRA, UA on a 744
Through FRA, LH on an A388
Direct, LH on an A346

Both LH flights are supposed to have the new C according to the ticketing seat map, but I don't know how meaningful that is. (Too far out to use the LH tool).

Thanks for your advice!
One obvious factor is PDQ do they all apply?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Silver
PQD are not a factor for me (CC waiver).

I am not sure if all the SFO-MUC 346s have the new C. I checked the LH tool for flights this week, and some came up as old C.

Though that risk might be less by the end of June, when I'm traveling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.