Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 13, 15, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Hi all,

I went into an existing reservation to change my MP#, and I see that the option to edit the FF number has been removed. Is anyone else seeing the option grayed out? It used to be so easy to change the FF#. I guess I'll have to call.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 15, 8:33 am

I noticed this too. Started a couple of days ago (last week I was able to make changes). Sent a note off to web support with no response.
Called to make the changes and the agent said "yeah, they changed something."
Might be related to the security issues the united site has been having lately (not allowing username logins, and requiring MP number).
Old Jan 13, 15, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, BA Gold Emirates Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Same here. Drop down box is gone and it just shows my MP number or part of it.
Old Jan 13, 15, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold
ugh. That was the only way for elites to look at the cheaper TODs being offered to general members. Bummer.
Old Jan 13, 15, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Also less easy to change your FFN now (say to use A3/TK to get into a UC, then change to MP to accrue)
Old Jan 13, 15, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There more I think about it, the more I am convinced this has to do with the recent security issues. Prior to this change, anyone able to obtain a confirmation number could easily determine a passenger's MileagePlus number. Now it is blanked out, *****XXX.

Hopefully this change is just a stop-gap until United can allow for changes to the FF # field without revealing the full frequent flyer number once it has been entered. I can't imagine that would be too difficult to implement.

Either way, not a huge change. It's just annoying to have to call for something that was once done easily on the web.
Old Jan 14, 15, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE, SPG Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Natl Car EE
Can't Change FF# on UA Website any longer?

I've noticed when hitting "Edit Traveler Information" that the field for FF# is now non-editable.
I'm SE100K with AC, but my corporate booking tool can't handle a partner airline FF# when doing a booking, so all my bookings start out with my MP number. I have no miles in my MP account, but I do have Silver status because of being Platinum with Marriott. This was handy because I could select Econ+ seats 24 hours out, then change the FF# to my AC account, all online.
Anyone think I will have any issues changing it to my AC account by phone or at the airport? Anyone know why the website change?
Old Jan 15, 15, 10:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Can't change FF# on UA.com reservation?

Hi, odd that I can no longer change my FF# on UA.com reservation. That line is now set default to my UA MP#. Is this a new thing or is this an IT glitch? Any solutions?
Thanks,
GT
Old Jan 16, 15, 8:12 am

I asked United on twitter about restoring FF# edit functionality and they replied, "...The ability to do so may be reinstated with the release of our new web site later this year."
Old Jan 21, 15, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What stupidity. 15 minutes of my time and a UA agent's time to make a simple change of FF accounts from MP to M&M on 4 reservations.
Kleffen likes this.
Old Jan 21, 15, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
I was able to change/edit the field on January 7th after checking in under my *Gold, but prior to my return trip on January 16th, could not. Called in and was told the reason I couldn't change was because I my trip was not complete. Finally got it changed. I was also not able to change at the kiosk after I checked in. The agent did it, but was not happy about it. Echo that, 15 mins wasted on the phone.
Old Jan 26, 15, 5:02 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Back in the day, when I was a Platinum NWA flyer transitioning to PMCO (with no status on CO), it was possible to get an upgrade on CO using my NWA number, and then change to my CO number at the last second for the actual flight to get credit.

I did this many times until I qualified for Platinum on CO, and I think just one time the GA noticed this and told me I'd have to give up my upgrade or use my NWA number.

Perhaps it is exactly this sort of thing that they are trying to avoid with the new call-in requirement?
Old Feb 3, 15, 1:12 am

Just more and more anti-frequent flyer behavior. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. At least my existing reservations have my LH MM numbers already in there. I can only imagine trying to get someone to change it over the phone and to actually hear and understand me correctly......I do see however when making a new reservation, my LH number is listed in the drop down under edit traveler, but it is x'd out.
Old Feb 3, 15, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
What stupidity. 15 minutes of my time and a UA agent's time to make a simple change of FF accounts from MP to M&M on 4 reservations.
I had to do this on AA in January to credit my BA number instead - it' not just UA.
Old Feb 3, 15, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I accidentally discovered a workaround when I OLCI'd last week. The old FF drop down box is displayed at OLCI and (presumably) let's you select the program you want to credit for those flights.

Originally Posted by StingWest View Post
I had to do this on AA in January to credit my BA number instead - it' not just UA.
Not disputing that but that feature (or lack thereof) isn't something that recently disappeared.

Search this Thread