FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Extreme delays in lost luggage delivery at EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1644015-extreme-delays-lost-luggage-delivery-ewr.html)

patryktomaszewski Jan 8, 2015 8:42 am

Extreme delays in lost luggage delivery at EWR

Because of weather, my flight from JAX to EWR was canceled on Jan 6 and I was put on JAX-IAD-EWR. My luggage was originally tagged for EWR direct and then it was retagged manually. Consequently, it was left at IAD and I had to file a claim. They said it would be 24h (which it usually is), but now I was told on the phone that due to severe delays the delivery window for the New York metropolitan area is 2-3 days. :confused:

Did anyone else have similar experiences with the EWR luggage recently? I am beyond frustrated at this point. Wheresmysuitcase.com does not have a phone number and United Luggage Services says they can't even get ahold of them.

Thanks for your help!

weirdlyndon Jan 8, 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by patryktomaszewski (Post 24125090)
Because of weather, my flight from JAX to EWR was canceled on Jan 6 and I was put on JAX-IAD-EWR. My luggage was originally tagged for EWR direct and then it was retagged manually. Consequently, it was left at IAD and I had to file a claim. They said it would be 24h (which it usually is), but now I was told on the phone that due to severe delays the delivery window for the New York metropolitan area is 2-3 days. :confused:

Did anyone else have similar experiences with the EWR luggage recently? I am beyond frustrated at this point. Wheresmysuitcase.com does not have a phone number and United Luggage Services says they can't even get ahold of them.

Thanks for your help!

The number for Where's My Suitcase is (800) 221-6903. However it's most likely going to redirect you to contact United directly.

I'd also send a separate email to Customer Relations about this inconvenience, and seek compensation. This would also be a good time to invoke the travel benefits your credit card may offer if you have a travel rewards credit card that you purchased this airfare with.

BearX220 Jan 8, 2015 9:04 am

Originally Posted by patryktomaszewski (Post 24125090)
Did anyone else have similar experiences with the EWR luggage recently? I am beyond frustrated at this point.

Everything's relative - be thankful you didn't go through DEN. Hundreds of bags have disappeared into the matrix, and resolution may take weeks, not days.

patryktomaszewski Jan 8, 2015 9:17 am

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon (Post 24125244)
The number for Where's My Suitcase is (800) 221-6903. However it's most likely going to redirect you to contact United directly.

I'd also send a separate email to Customer Relations about this inconvenience, and seek compensation. This would also be a good time to invoke the travel benefits your credit card may offer if you have a travel rewards credit card that you purchased this airfare with.

Thanks, good advice!

exerda Jan 8, 2015 9:35 am

Has the bag actually been handed to the delivery service, or is it still in UA's possession? That does make a difference.

My most recent experience was that my bag arrived before 6am, got handed to the delivery service at 2pm (:rolleyes:), then the delivery service futzed around with it until 10pm. Calling WheresMySuitcase before it was given to them was no good; likewise, calling UA after they'd handed it off was not productive.

coachrowsey Jan 8, 2015 9:37 am

So glad to be retired.

patryktomaszewski Jan 8, 2015 9:41 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 24125479)
Has the bag actually been handed to the delivery service, or is it still in UA's possession? That does make a difference.

My most recent experience was that my bag arrived before 6am, got handed to the delivery service at 2pm (:rolleyes:), then the delivery service futzed around with it until 10pm. Calling WheresMySuitcase before it was given to them was no good; likewise, calling UA after they'd handed it off was not productive.

It has been with Where is My Suitcase since 5PM EST yesterday. It still shows as awaiting the driver assignment and all calls are redirected to UA's service, prompting to use the website to check the status.

astroflyer Jan 8, 2015 11:19 am

Originally Posted by patryktomaszewski (Post 24125526)
It has been with Where is My Suitcase since 5PM EST yesterday. It still shows as awaiting the driver assignment and all calls are redirected to UA's service, prompting to use the website to check the status.

I've unfortunately had multiple opportunities to use "Where is My Suitcase" lately, and not once has it actually coincided with the location/status of my bag.

You'll find it's pretty much impossible to extract local station numbers as well. They really don't want random people calling the local station.

mduell Jan 8, 2015 11:30 am

I wouldn't call 2-3 days for EWR baggage delivery "extreme"... sadly more like standard.

transportprof Jan 8, 2015 12:01 pm

Isn't there some company that sells an RFID tag that you can put into your bag and track it independently at any time? Perhaps UA should offer this instead of the shrinking plastic tags they're sending out to top tier MP members?

mduell Jan 8, 2015 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 24126529)
Isn't there some company that sells an RFID tag that you can put into your bag and track it independently at any time?

No, there isn't, because nobody has RFID readers covering the globe.

fgirard Jan 8, 2015 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 24126814)
No, there isn't, because nobody has RFID readers covering the globe.

But, there is a GPS tracking system designed for luggage

TerryK Jan 8, 2015 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 24126260)
I wouldn't call 2-3 days for EWR baggage delivery "extreme"... sadly more like standard.

+1.^ Pretty hyperbolic title.

I had a five day bag delay by AF this past summer. I guess that would be humongous gigantic delay?:p Consider yourself extremely lucky if you bag shows up within one day.