Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New round of city-specific amenity tins (inc PGA kits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New round of city-specific amenity tins (inc PGA kits)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I have a whole stack of these things from last year.

I view them as worthless marketing tokens. Would rather see UA upgrade the food.
And the wine.

We had Honolulu tins for SFO TPE Wednesday.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
NRT-Friendly on Fridays SFO-CDG.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by haddon90
do they do this in F only? or C and F? flying IAD-AMS next friday and wouldn't mind getting one of the tins.
I was in GF to PVG last week. Got Dubai kit. Nice to see them return.

However, unlike last year, where the metal tin was given in addition to the Global First Amenity Kit, the FA insisted that they were to not give anything to GF customers except the tin.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:31 am

I have a whole stack of these things from last year.

I view them as worthless marketing tokens. Would rather see UA upgrade the food.
If they are worthless why do you keep them?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
However, unlike last year, where the metal tin was given in addition to the Global First Amenity Kit, the FA insisted that they were to not give anything to GF customers except the tin.
Although giving both always seemed a waste, giving only the tin is definitely a downgrade given that the GF kits have far more in them than the tin.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Kinda stinks being a 1K and I never get an amenity kit since I'm all domestic ...

Oh well, "CRJ Friendly" is uncannily accurate ...
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
Although giving both always seemed a waste, giving only the tin is definitely a downgrade given that the GF kits have far more in them than the tin.
I really like the standard GF kit, it's totally reusable. Possibly the most functional amenity kit holder I've received on any airline.

Originally Posted by BB2220
If they are worthless why do you keep them?
That's between me and my shrink

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 10, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
The flights I have met have had them in biz, the standard GF kit was given in GF (as it contains more). I've seen DXB, PEK, FRA, LHR, NRT, SYD, RIO, and HNL. They were not flight specific where everyone got the same, rather an assortment on every flight.

And I agree with Kacee. The GF kit, with the zip lock bag of liquids is very functional. The tin is a novelty, nice for a change, but not useful for transporting toiletries repeatedly.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I will be on IAH-AMS in a few minutes, so if my upgrade clears I'll report back. Would love an "AMS Friendly" tin!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
I got them ex-NRT twice last time. Although agree the marketing materials said ex-US only.
My HKG-SFO flight Monday was the bag, but got PEK tin on my SFO NRT return flight today. I actually kind of like the tins. They're different and sort of collector-ish (though not that cool).

I throw the bags out now (or leave on board), as they're too small for my toiletries and / or electronics. For those, I highly recommend the Emirates amenity bags. They're perfect for either purpose.

Corrected: originally I had said PVG. Upon digging it out of my bag in prep for my next trip, I realized it was actually PEK.

Last edited by Singapore_Schwing; Jan 17, 2015 at 4:27 am
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:28 am

It is a 3 month run for the this round of the special UA amenity tins, similar to last year. Officially ex-USA only but stranger things have happened.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I was in GF to PVG last week. Got Dubai kit. Nice to see them return.

I got the GF kit and the tin can (Rio friendly) on SFO-ICN a couple of days ago. Was hoping to get another on the return trip, but doesn't sound like I will.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is a 3 month run for the this round of the special UA amenity tins, similar to last year. Officially ex-USA only but stranger things have happened.

http://blog.wandr.me/wp-content/uplo...ed-edition.jpg
n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
I wonder exactly how many different (world) tins UA create this time ? I mean there are certainly more than just 8, as other than those you posted, someone had already mentioned SYD and PVG, and I am assuming there would be HKG, maybe even GUM, YYZ, YVR too ?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 4, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I assume UA is hoping that these become collectibles, and that at least some people will book more UA flights in order to accumulate a set. This is something that KLM has long done by giving C pax a small Delft china replica of a Dutch house (containing some gin). There are over a hundred different houses in the collection. I possess about four.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I wonder exactly how many different (world) tins UA create this time ? I mean there are certainly more than just 8, as other than those you posted, someone had already mentioned SYD and PVG, and I am assuming there would be HKG, maybe even GUM, YYZ, YVR too ?
I wonder if there will be a BKK tin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.