Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strategy for Large Amount of Sports Equipment on UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
Baggage Fees for Multiple Pieces of Sports Equipment

Does anyone know if you're allowed to bring more than one type of sports equipment without being subject to extra bag fees?

I know you can bring a snowboard or some golf clubs and that for each you're limited to just one piece of that type of equipment, but can you bring one piece of multiple different types of sports equipment? It would appear from the sports equipment page (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/sports.aspx) that as long as you don't bring more pieces of sports equipment than you are allowed checked bags, you should be fine, but didn't know if anyone has had experience doing it.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AC, UA, A3*G

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this.

My colleague and I are travelling from SFO-HDN on UA for skiing and hockey at Steamboat Springs. I am seeking thoughts / alternatives for bringing a rather large amount of sporting equipment on UA as checked baggage for the least amount of fees.

We will have between the two of us:

- 2 suitcases (checked)
- 2 pairs of skis / boots
- 2 sets of hockey equipment (skates, helmet, pads)
- 2 hockey sticks

We think we may be able to combine our hockey equipment into one big bag, but we will have to measure it (if it is oversized it may not be worth it) and two sticks taped together are included in the hockey bag allowance. UA baggage policy for skis says that two pairs of skis and boots can be combined as one piece of luggage so we may be able to save with that too.

So best case scenario:

- 2 checked suitcases
- 1 ski and boot combo bag (with 2 sets of skis and boots)
- 1 hockey bag with both sets of equipment and 2 sticks
----
4 Checked bags total

I have Star Alliance Gold so one of my checked bags is free, that leaves 1 x $25 + 2 x $35 = $95 in total fees each way.

Does this sound reasonable? Are UA agents at SFO very strict about linear dimensions and weights for sports equipment? Should we instead look into one of the luggage delivery services for the large hockey bag and carry on the sticks? Does anyone have experience travelling with a large amount of sports equipment on UA like this?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.