Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz
I'm flying NRT-YYC this Sunday 27th. Current route is NRT-SFO-YYC. I'm a 1K

The NRT-DEN flight looks to be overbooked by 8 in Y currently (8 polaris seats blocked). When I checked inventory last night, there was one seat remaining in my fare bucket (L). I'm sure this will fluctuate a lot between now and the time of departure. Should I be same day changing into this flight? The odds are probably relatively low of 8 GS/1K's being ahead of me on a long weekend, but I want to be decently sure before I make the move over to a flight which is booked solid in Y. Will UA typically address this by bumping passengers into J, or trying to route them via a different hub?

I've had a similar situation before where I was upgraded, but on that occasion I was (luckily) already booked on the flight and didn't have to make a change. Not sure if I was just lucky on that occasion or whether it is standard practice.
I would probably go for it, as especially if you haven't waitlisted NRT-SFO already, there's nothing to lose. Wouldn't bank on getting the op-up, although it does seem like NRT-DEN is a better route than most for it.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
To answer your other question, yes UA will resolve the oversale by offering op-ups to J instead of denying boarding.
Right, but they can also proactively reroute passengers, with pax consent. They’ll typically only offer it if there’s a material benefit to the customer, such as a much shorter (or, conversely, less risky) connection, or an earlier arrival. For example, anyone flying NRT-DEN-IAH might get offered a seat on the NRT-IAH nonstop.

ETA that I agree with findark’s edit. :-)

PS: Don’t forget TODs. As long as there are still seats for sale in J, UA may offer TODs to passengers. They’re going to have to upgrade someone anyway, so they figure they may as well get some money for it...

Last edited by jsloan; May 23, 2018 at 3:02 pm Reason: TODs
Old May 24, 2018, 4:35 am

Checkin impact on chsnces?

Was curious, if applying a GPU on a flight that is relatively open in J (25 of 48 seats free) and Available fare classes show the following...Is the right strategy to check in right at T-24 to get the tie-breaker, should it come to that? Or is it smarter to hold off checking in just Incase R opens up T<24 (does that still happen, if so, often)?

or if you check in at T-24...but you see R open up...at T<24...can you call up UA and have them manually clear your upgrade even though you are checked in?

Im Premier Platinum this year. So guess odds aren’t great as I’ll be best out by all the GS and 1k’s

thx.
tifosi
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L9
  • K9
  • G9
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X9

​​​​​​​
Old May 24, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Are you looking for an op-up? UA142 NRT-DEN on 27-May indeed looks to be over by 8 in Economy, with a light elite load. I agree it looks like a decent shot, but op-ups are never a sure thing and the flight could easily no longer be overbooked at departure.

To answer your other question, yes UA will resolve the oversale by offering op-ups to J instead of denying boarding. jsloan is right in that they might try to offer other routings, but most of it will be done by op-up.

If you are just looking for a regular upgrade, the flight is J6 R4 IN3 I0.
With R space open, it appears nobody is in the upgrade queue... would be a good bet for an op-up to be on the NRT-DEN routing... or if you want to secure right away, just miles + copay it and you are good to go.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by YouFlyBoysCrackMeUp
Was curious, if applying a GPU on a flight that is relatively open in J (25 of 48 seats free) and Available fare classes show the following...Is the right strategy to check in right at T-24 to get the tie-breaker, should it come to that? Or is it smarter to hold off checking in just Incase R opens up T<24 (does that still happen, if so, often)?
You should check-in as that's the last tiebreaker for upgrade priority (and can be meaningful particularly if you are a 1K on a W). It has no impact on the mechanics of processing the GPU.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You should check-in as that's the last tiebreaker for upgrade priority (and can be meaningful particularly if you are a 1K on a W). It has no impact on the mechanics of processing the GPU.
many thanks. Btw, are there still reported issues with R-opening T<24 and not processing automatically? Or has UA more or less fixed this these days?
Old May 24, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

many thanks. Btw, are there still reported issues with R-opening T<24 and not processing automatically? Or has UA more or less fixed this these days?
No, that issue has not been fixed. It probably still pays to watch inventory, although it's a minority of the time that you can spot the R space.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Btw, are there still reported issues with R-opening T<24 and not processing automatically? Or has UA more or less fixed this these days?
No, that issue has not been fixed. It probably still pays to watch inventory, although it's a minority of the time that you can spot the R space.
That issue will never be fixed, at least not unless there's a complete upgrade of SHARES. It doesn't process dynamically.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm not likely to roll the dice, but any thoughts on 01-Nov UA917 SFO-AKL? Booked 12/60 right now and J9 PN9 R0. I suspect the block rules don't allow R on a Thursday flight, but I know there are rumors of waitlisted GPUs triggering clearance, and curious if anyone has opinions. The double-daily 77W seems like a little much lift for the market.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Hyatt Platinum
How likely is a cash + miles upgrade request likely to clear on ORD to AMS?

I booked a nonstop round trip from ORD to AMS a couple of weeks from now. I booked a cash plus miles upgrade, but it has not cleared for either flight. How likely are these to clear? And when should I expect to find out?

In the future, is there anything I can do to increase my chances of these clearing?
Old May 30, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Not possible to predict, though you can monitor how many seats in business class remain available on expertflyer and the more open the better the more likely some R space for upgrades may appear in the days before or day of the flight. However, this is why I do not waitlist any more. I look for R space at the time of booking, even if I have to do connections (for example, you might find upgrade space to or from BRU, which is a short and fast train ride from AMS). (Also, you can look for cheap buy up offers all the way to boarding time - this is one reason why business may fill up and upgrades not clear.)
Old May 30, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Travel4Points
I booked a nonstop round trip from ORD to AMS a couple of weeks from now. I booked a cash plus miles upgrade, but it has not cleared for either flight. How likely are these to clear? And when should I expect to find out?

In the future, is there anything I can do to increase my chances of these clearing?
I as well no longer waitlist on TATLs or TPACs as I have been burned too many times waiting to clear. Obviously R space into AMS this time of year is getting extremely rare. You may have a better chance of an upgrade if it is a midweek flight. Also, I suspect if your luck is like mine, you won't know until you are at the gate. But as Artpen said check load and see how heavy business is already booked, if it is showing multiple available seats then at least you have a shot. If it is basically already fully booked then you may as well for get about it.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Travel4Points

If you are lucky, you'll get upgraded. If you are even more lucky, you might get a TOD at check-in. If you do, take it.

As Nomad420 said, midweek flights get better chances of upgrades. Also booking flights with the least number of Polaris Business seats sold. I had an experience like that. When I was looking to buy a ticket to MUC, I planned to return on a Wednesday. I checked and there were only 12 seats sold out of 40. The next morning, I booked my flights. In the evening, I checked the load again. It had suddenly jumped to 29/40 (reason? I don't know). Since I was still in the 24 hours grace period, I switched my return flight to Tuesday that had 15/40 sold. My miles + copay cleared a month later. My original flight was booked full ten days before the flight. I would never have cleared.

Also on expert mode, check the fares. It's good if you see PN9 or a high PN. If you see PN=0, it's not so good as there may be GS waitlisted for upgrades. Even, PN=1 may mean that a GS with a reservation for two persons may be waitlisted.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Typically speaking, does anyone know how difficult it might be to CPU UA1499 (SEA-IAD redeye)?

Is the route crowded out by GS/1K, or is it fairly likely for plat/gold to clear?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Typically speaking, does anyone know how difficult it might be to CPU UA1499 (SEA-IAD redeye)?

Is the route crowded out by GS/1K, or is it fairly likely for plat/gold to clear?
It depends upon the day of the week. SEA is no longer a huge source of high level UA flyers, with the reduction in frequency there. However, attempting to CPU a redeye is always a crapshoot at best. On a Saturday night, or midweek, I'd say you'd have a decent shot. Sunday, Thursday, or Friday nights, I'd say the odds aren't good.

TODs are very attractive to tired people checking in for redeye flights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.