Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Does anyone have luck clearing upgrades on the latest EWR-LHR departure (10PM)? Debating whether to apply GPUs once I have them...currently showing P9 PN7 for a late December flight.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
1Generally ICN before they pull the 747 should be a cakewalk, although I would look for open R.
The 789 which will replace the 744 actually has a much better J/Y ratio.

Note that it is possible to miss on this route . . . only GPU I've ever not cleared.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:11 pm

Curious if UA will tell me where I am on the upgrade list ... do agents have access to this info?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Curious if UA will tell me where I am on the upgrade list ... do agents have access to this info?
There are mixed results from asking in this thread, and other FT threads.

Some have claimed they have been told their position by a UA phone agent, others have been told by agents that "there's no way I can tell."

So either some agents have access and others don't, or some agents lie to tell you something you have no way of knowing is the truth.

The only real way to know is to watch the list itself after check-in until departure.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
... Some have claimed they have been told their position by a UA phone agent, others have been told by agents that "there's no way I can tell."

So either some agents have access and others don't, or some agents lie to tell you something you have no way of knowing is the truth. ....
Given the complexity of the gate list in particular which is the merging of multiple separate waitlists (upgrades, waitlisted awards, displaced passengers, ....) and the fact that folks can join or leave the list at any point, anything you are told is basically fiction.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:45 am

Not sure why they don't have access to the upgrade list. Granted the numbers are always subject to change, but surely they can tell me:

"As of now, there are 10 passengers on the upgrade list, you are #3 and we have 8 seats unsold. This is just where things are at this moment, it can and will change".

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given the complexity of the gate list in particular which is the merging of multiple separate waitlists (upgrades, waitlisted awards, displaced passengers, ....) and the fact that folks can join or leave the list at any point, anything you are told is basically fiction.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe agents are explicitly instructed not to tell pax their position on the waitlists.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
.... "As of now, there are 10 passengers on the upgrade list, you are #3 and we have 8 seats unsold. This is just where things are at this moment, it can and will change".
"But you told me I was # 3 (and ended up # 10) and I did not get upgraded. "

People only hear what they want to hear and ignore the rest.

With a significant number of higher elites and high fare purchases in the days before departure, the position on the upgrade list is meaningless until close to departure. Someone # 1 four weeks out is likely to be much lower at departure.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
All right, feeling lucky....10/16 UA 58 SFO-FRA. 2 pax waitlisted GPUs, both 1K, Q fare.

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0

Decent shot, right?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:45 am

Upgrade for LAX-LHR on 8/6 cleared this morning. :-)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by symphonicman
All right, feeling lucky....10/16 UA 58 SFO-FRA. 2 pax waitlisted GPUs, both 1K, Q fare.

Decent shot, right?
Been there on that flight more than a few times. Here is the rub. IF a bunch of GS jump on it (it is SFO) you won't clear.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by symphonicman

Decent shot, right?
You'll likely have a better chance on the later SFO-FRA departure UA 926. Consider a same-day change (of it doesn't cost you) and if the J cabin on UA 58 is filling up with GS.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended

1k here....used miles to upgrade from E+ to First on the MCO-LAX flight on 8/21.....7 seats left and half the plane is empty....booked a T fare ticket...what u think my chances r on getting the upgrade and prediction on when it clears?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
1k here....used miles to upgrade from E+ to First on the MCO-LAX flight on 8/21.....7 seats left and half the plane is empty....booked a T fare ticket...what u think my chances r on getting the upgrade and prediction on when it clears?
65% chance in favor of it clearing, no earlier than T-36 hours.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
8/21/17 MCO-LAX A320 F7 A7 JN7 C7 D7 Z7 ZN7 P5 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0

Generally leisure routes have a better chance
PN0 means GS will be waitlisted , so am 1K on a low fare might not be at the top of the list. Additional A320 have a small F cabin.
UA is still selling P fares

my guess is a chance but not a certainty. Likely not before gate or day of travel.

Basic Economy is making reading seatmaps even harder with their delay in seating assignments. Sparse E+ is a sign of fewer elites to content with -- but late bookings and TOD are the wildcard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.