Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:52 am

I just found the advanced flight status tool and saw that my flight only has 10/40 booked and flight is 5/20 (PVG-ORD). I checked the Saturday before and after and saw both have 17 booked. Im assuming this is good and wondering how quickly the seats can fill since the lowest fare is still D and they don't appear to be selling as of now. Thanks for any help (I'm very anxious about my upgrade clearing if you can't tell ��)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jh145
I just found the advanced flight status tool and saw that my flight only has 10/40 booked and flight is 5/20 (PVG-ORD). I checked the Saturday before and after and saw both have 17 booked. Im assuming this is good and wondering how quickly the seats can fill since the lowest fare is still D and they don't appear to be selling as of now. Thanks for any help (I'm very anxious about my upgrade clearing if you can't tell ��)
I suspect UA's metrics show heavy sales on that route in the last two weeks prior to departure, which is why they are only selling down to a D.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
What day of the week is the flight? If it is Friday/Saturday/Sunday, it is very likely to fill up. If it is mid-week there is some chance it won't fill up.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Joa
Thanks all. I was curious if the flight would fill up, so that helps.

My partner informed me it was also an additional 30k in miles. Does that change anyone's mind? We have over 10x that in points.

Money and points-wise, we are ok. It's just wondering if this is a good deal or if we could better spend elsewhere. We did Economy Plus IAD to Auckland so we know we can survive at least!
If you have plenty of miles, I think it's a no-brainer upgrade. The difference between E+ and J, as others have said, is huge. Make sure that R space (upgradable seats) is actually available right now, versus going on a waitlist.

If you can get two seats on one edge, you'll have a whole 'row' to yourself, with a bit of extra privacy.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
And just to be sure, you do realize there are no CPUs on transoceanic flights, right?
There are no stupid questions when the person you're asking is even dumber Suddenly the other replies make a lot more sense.

Welp, there goes that idea. Maybe worth burning miles for, though, for a flight that long. But I'll be able to see at booking time as others have mentioned.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:00 pm

How do you folks feel about ORD - CUN, Thursday 4/13 morning, 739... J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R8 RN8? Can upfare for about $160, RPU (8 seats available), or mileage (25k). No paid upgrades available. Thoughts on waiting for CPU?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:04 pm
Joa

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Please upgrade. It's the one shot you have at making the air travel part of the experience, rather than something to endure. Warning: it's addictive.
Thanks all! We upgraded, grabbed the last two seaters available! This can get addicting, we were notified of a similar upgrade on the leg back. Hah.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mario02423
How do you folks feel about ORD - CUN, Thursday 4/13 morning, 739... J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R8 RN8? Can upfare for about $160, RPU (8 seats available), or mileage (25k). No paid upgrades available. Thoughts on waiting for CPU?
Traveling alone as a Plat? Three morning flights are all R7, R8, or R9. I'd wait for the CPU unless your RPUs are going to expire anyway.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Anyone have experience getting upgraded from Business to First on LHR-EWR? All the F buckets are zeroed out, but the seat map is open (save for crew rest seat). I applied the 20k upgrade for kicks, but wonder how realistic that it will clear...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:27 pm
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
UA535 on 4/5 - J9, but RPUs not clearing yet?

We're 48 hours out, and even though P9, Z9, and even ZN9, RN = 0?

In C, 42/60 seats are booked (hasn't changed since Sat). Why wouldn't they begin clearing a few elites at this point? Do they really think they'll sell 18 paid upgrades for this flight? It *is* a retrofitted Polaris cabin, so possibly they're holding out for the paid upgrades, but it sure would stink if all of these flights in the future were going to be same-day clears.

Anyone know if UA is treating the true Polaris flights differently?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Traveling alone as a Plat? Three morning flights are all R7, R8, or R9. I'd wait for the CPU unless your RPUs are going to expire anyway.
Thanks, @findark! Yep, all alone. Will see if it clears on Monday. Cheers!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
What day of the week is the flight? If it is Friday/Saturday/Sunday, it is very likely to fill up. If it is mid-week there is some chance it won't fill up.
It's a Saturday. I've been tracking flights each weekend and it seems saturday is the least popular of the three days as of late. Hoping it stays that way!

Last edited by jh145; Apr 3, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975

In C, 42/60 seats are booked (hasn't changed since Sat). Why wouldn't they begin clearing a few elites at this point? Do they really think they'll sell 18 paid upgrades for this flight? It *is* a retrofitted Polaris cabin, so possibly they're holding out for the paid upgrades, but it sure would stink if all of these flights in the future were going to be same-day clears.

Anyone know if UA is treating the true Polaris flights differently?
Simple -- it's PS, and basically no PS other than the 6am and ~8pm EWR-SFO ever show open R prior to T-24. On the 77W in particular I have never seen upgrades clear before T-24, and have never seen open R until T-3, even when it's wide open in J.

I would expect maybe 5-10 more seats to sell, then a bunch of people to clear en masse at T-22 until the flight gets to ~J5. Perhaps one or two more people will then clear at the gate. If you're on a decent fare you stand a solid shot. Good luck!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975

This is totally normal for ps these days.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is totally normal for ps these days.
Especially when they give a general offer to buy up for $250 or so, regardless of which Y booking class you are in. Last year, I was booked in L, and paid $290 to bump up to J on p.s. EWR-LAX.... nabbed the last seat on that flight.

Even with 10+ open seats, I would expect buy-ups to clean up those open seats on DoD. If you're interested, I would shell out the $ or place all bets on sitting in Y. Personally, I would pay up to sit in the new Polaris seat... and I'm sure there are others that feel similarly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.