Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:57 am
Suspended

Hi,

Ewr lax is on 25 May
Lax Ewr is on 29 May

Anyone can put out the inventory? If the upgrade is almost to none then ld rather cancel it
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dehetoxic
Ewr lax is on 25 May
Lax Ewr is on 29 May
Sorry, I read your original post as saying the RPUs are expiring in a week.

It's too far out to make predictions for late May. Except to note that in general this is a very difficult route to clear the waitlist.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:00 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Any Hawaii flights used to be gimmies for CPU for 1Ks. As would off-days like Wednesday.

However, in my anecdotal experience (and not just on Hawaii flights--this observation is system-wide), UA also makes upgrades and outright F purchases much more affordable and enticing on those days & flights, which makes them harder to achieve via CPU.

My murky crystal ball is hence saying 20%...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dehetoxic
Hi,

Ewr lax is on 25 May
Lax Ewr is on 29 May

Anyone can put out the inventory? If the upgrade is almost to none then ld rather cancel it
The return is a Sunday where the Monday is a holiday (Memorial Day). If you take a Sunday a.m. flight I think you'll be fine.

Mid week EWR-LAX on 5/25 I think you also have a shot.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
11.873% for even-numbered Wednesdays and 12.122% for odd-numbered.

On a more serious note,
Originally Posted by jackexu
How do you get these numbers?
They weren't being serious. First part of next sentence was the clue.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:04 am

Is there any way to get waitlisted for an upgrade using cash only for an international flight? Using miles + copay got us through, but just wondering if we could have done better next time.

Business class was sold out on Friday, 3/18 from LHR -> SFO. My husband's company approved business class ticket purchases, but work never found an open seat for him, so he had an economy ticket. At 6 hours before departure, I saw one first class seat still available for purchase, so I called to put my husband on the waitlist for business class using 20,000 miles + ~$300 USD copay from economy, with zero status. I saw on my phone there were about 13 people on the waitlist for business class and thought he had no chance.

He was lucky - I suppose the people on the waitlist were using upgrade instruments instead, and the agents at the check-in counter were able to upgrade him using miles + copay. When he asked if he could pay instead of using the miles, they said they could only cancel the economy ticket and purchase a business class seat, which was then, at less than 2 hours before departure... 7000 pounds!

Did we do the best we could? The phone agent could only quote me the miles + copay option to get onto the waitlist (when that option was grayed out online). 20,000 miles isn't that much, but it's not reimbursable.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I don't think you can waitlist with cash only. Waitlisting with miles and copay usually seems to be available (whether it clears is risky, though), while upgrade offers for cash only seem to be available for immediate upgrades - and is often not available on the website (though OLCI offers are another thing entirely).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:22 am

Thanks for confirming, Artpen. I knew the OLCI offers existed with cash only, so that's why I hoped they could be available over phone or website. But that seemed riskier to wait for OLCI (not even sure if always an option for international check-in) than to just try miles + copay option.

It seemed strange that no upgrades with instruments were processed at 24 hours before the flight, but it worked out in our favor this case.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So very confused by this situation. I am booked on flights in July SAN-LAX-PVG-LAX-SAN. V class and requested upgrades using GPUs. Used the united.com website and requested tickets that were eligible for upgrades and, with the exception of SAN-LAX, each leg is waitlisted. That seemed normal to me as only a few R class seats are released at a time, so booked the flights. There is no one, and I mean no one in BF, and there are only two other Y seats sold on the LAX-PVG-LAX flights. I have never before experienced that no R class was available when no seats have been sold. Is this normal? I am used to not getting my GPUs, but thought it was because the R class seats had been allocated, not because they were never allocated. Thank you for any insight that can be provided.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
There is no one, and I mean no one in BF, and there are only two other Y seats sold on the LAX-PVG-LAX flights. I have never before experienced that no R class was available when no seats have been sold. Is this normal?
Not at all unusual. Most of the TPAC BF tickets are sold fairly close to departure. I've seen cabins go from virtually empty two weeks out to booked full a week later. UA's hoping that will occur here.

You should consider the empty cabin a positive sign that your upgrade may clear. They can open R space any time between now and departure.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am used to not getting my GPUs, but thought it was because the R class seats had been allocated, not because they were never allocated. Thank you for any insight that can be provided.
That's really not how UA manages inventory. There's not some automatic initial allocation of upgrade space. They may never open R, they may open R one seat at a time, or it may suddenly go R9 60, 30, or 5 days prior to departure (or at any other time).
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
or it may suddenly go R9 60, 30, or 5 days prior to departure (or at any other time).
...and back to R0 a few hours later with only one upgrade cleared
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by findark
...and back to R0 a few hours later with only one upgrade cleared
And then it will often go R9 again soon afterwards, as the overly-sensitive algorithm swings wildly based on minor inputs.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: United 1k
GPU upgrade chances - way out

Hello everyone -

I have a question... my girlfriend and I are headed to Europe in September, and I'm trying to figure out my chances of an upgrade from coach to business using GPUs.

I bought upgrade-eligible fares (W) and applied GPUs, but was waitlisted. The person I spoke to on the 1k line said there were no instant upgrades available.

There are plenty of business/first class seats currently (only a few are shown as occupied). My question is, when do they typically start opening these up and clearing upgrades? Will I not know until close to the flight?

Thank you for any guidance you may have!

Flight details:

Flying there
SFO to LHR
Sun, 04SEP16 UA901

Returning
MUC to SFO via ORD
Sun, 18SEP16 UA953
Sun, 18SEP16 UA1847
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
SFO-LHR is very tough, especially in the summer months
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
I did not get upgraded with GPU at all during my time as 1K (long-haul to both Asia and Europe from LAX and SFO). Also tried on LH for several occasions but to no avail. Used the GPU's as RPU's for P.S. flights instead in the end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.