Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:26 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lex04
OK guys, what do you think:

Mrs. Lex04 and I traveling IAD-DXB 2 April (Thurs), return 12 April (Sun).

Using GPUs, W fare, GS status. R=0 but 9s across the other fare classes on both the outbound and return. 5/40 C seats and 10 E+ seats taken on the outbound; 2/40 C seats and 15 E+ seats taken on the return.

This is obviously a tough route to upgrade- has anyone had success using a GPU?
Just flew the IAD-DXB segment last night. Booked 2 months out only 4 seats sold in C and none in F. Tried a GPU on a V fare and 1K status. Seats dwindled until only 4 seats at the 24 hour mark remained. Was number 7 on the list.

There were 18 GS on the flight and over 20 1K (according to the purser).

I have had less than 50% hit rate on this route. Best time is summer and miles & co-pay seems to work better than GPU.

My return looks similar. And next DXB flight is in May (with a similar number of booked as you).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:00 pm

Anyone a regular on the EWR - MCO route (Chances of Upgrade Clearing)?

I am looking at the possibility of buying into silver or gold status via the various promos. I already have a club card so get the baggage. Wondering your success rate for upgrades. TIA
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by distrips
I am looking at the possibility of buying into silver or gold status via the various promos. I already have a club card so get the baggage. Wondering your success rate for upgrades. TIA
Not a regular...but got my one and only upgrade as a silver on this route. It was a 6am flight on a Saturday morn.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
One of the easier ones. For this short flight I buy coach and am upgraded almost always. On a break week, though, I missed a few times
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Of course past performance is no indication of future performance - but in general I've had good luck on that route. Usually many tourists and many high level elites.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:38 pm

Thanks everyone. I know there are often seats as I snag the $99 or $149 upgrades at check in but I didn't know how that would translate to comped upgrades. While as you said, it is a relatively short flight, sometimes the tarmac time out of Newark is a killer. This is always work related for me so often running to and from meetings and paperwork on the plane, so the upgrade is appreciated
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Anyone a regular on the EWR - MCO route (Chances of Upgrade Clearing)?

Easy upgrade!!! TPA and MCO are generally not big elite cities. Give u a decent shot. I'm a 1K so my chances r better. You should aim at taking early AM or late PM flights..
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:10 am

didnt' want to start my own thread on this, but i have a flight coming up, EWR to FLL. Friday morning depature at 645 AM. Upgrade potential?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'll be the contrary voice. I go several times a year and before the merger, I would get an upgrade every trip most times in one direction only and every now and again in both.

Since the merger I have received a single upgrade. None. Zero. I watch the flight fairly closely and those saying it's not an elite heavy route are not correct. There are plenty of people on the upgrade list who get it 3 or more days out.

I think on my last trip I ended up being 18 on the waitlist - if I was that high.

If you're going to pay for status, I would save my money and use it for TOD upgrade - because that's the only way I've gotten it.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Mrs Mbarreto, who's a silver, probably gets upgraded about 70% of the time on this route.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:30 am

I must be really unluckly these past couple of years. I havent seen a single one.

Perhaps it's the times I've been flying. I refuse to fly at 6 or 7 am, and have to leave for home mid day usually.

I just looked at my upcoming flight... 12 people upgraded with 5 still available - all before 24 hours so they can't be silver. When I checked in I didn't even get a TOD offer - and I was getting those pretty regularly.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Easy upgrade!!! TPA and MCO are generally not big elite cities. Give u a decent shot.
+1 ^ I pulled an UG on this route w/ no status and one of the old school Visa UG certs several years ago.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'll echo that I generally get upgraded on EWR-MCO with a companion as a 1K. I've missed on the 5pm Sunday MCO-EWR 752 in the past (some regular commuters), but not usually. Even Silvers often find their way up front on 738/739s and 753s (when they are in the schedule)... heck my Silver mother and GM father scored companion CPUs in September 2014! The outliers can be when someone burns miles and upgrades their entire family... and in those instances sometimes I prefer to be in back!

Overall, an easy upgrade save for a handful of the school break weeks.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:11 am

Wow... I really must be doing something wrong... As I said, I think I made 4 or 5 round trips last year and not a single upgrade came my way as a silver. I start out highish on the UG list and as time passes I get lower and lower and lower.

I would always get them in the past.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
As a 1K with a J fare for both ORD-FRA (on 2/2 UA944) and FRA-EWR (on 2/6 UA969), do I have a fairly good upgrade chance if space is available? I just booked the tickets but it seems as if that doesn't matter given the J fare. Business class on these these flights doesn't appear very impressive.

Although there are open first seats on the seat map for these flights, I don't think this necessarily equates to the upgrade space available? This is one point I have never been able to understand even after reading all of these threads.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.