Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:42 am

Where do you see these details? I could see flight status for tomorrow

Last edited by jjoe123; Jan 7, 2020 at 2:36 am
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjoe123
Where do you see these details? I could see flight status for tomorrow
It is a hack. Advance the date of your device to look at flight status to the day before your flight and the details are then observable. Do this will some caution because advance the date may create issues in other apps (such as calender appointments).
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Update: UA48 next Saturday 1/11 has now become J9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0. I'll clear into PN. Will they 100% keep PN/PZ closed until day of departure or is it a possibility that they open PN anything this coming week? I'm shocked to even see Z seats on this route over a week out but certainly won't complain as it helps my cause. Trying to get (one of) the last 2 remaining window seats. Thanks!
Spoke too soon. It became J9 C9 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 now.... 50/60 booked
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:02 am

For UA 955 above, What is the position of TIM.* and KOS? I guess very close to the end...

The current seat map shows 17 un-assigned seats, but probably some are booked and not assigned.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjoe123
For UA 955 above, What is the position of TIM.* and KOS? I guess very close to the end...

The current seat map shows 17 un-assigned seats, but probably some are booked and not assigned.
TIM, E., TIM, K., and KOS, I. are #20-22. But, to reiterate, the lists have been in error, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. What's been more accurate is the total number of bookings, which has now increased to 40 booked, one blocked.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:15 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by jsloan
TIM, E., TIM, K., and KOS, I. are #20-22. But, to reiterate, the lists have been in error, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. What's been more accurate is the total number of bookings, which has now increased to 40 booked, one blocked.
Thanks for checking. I guess chances are slim. We'll know in a few days 🙂
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:12 pm

Upgrade from Premium Economy to Polaris IAD to Tel Aviv - new to this

Thanks in advance. New to this so sorry if asking dumb questions. Don't travel much to Europe so don't have any status on United - only Southwest. Bought premium economy for 4 to Tel Aviv from IAD. Flight is in a few weeks. Had enough miles to get on the waitlist - all 4 of us. When I look at the flight, 75% of the Polaris seats are still available. A few questions - is there anyway to see the actual wait list, based on experience what are the chances of actually getting the upgrade, and when do they let you know?
Thank you!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am a newly qualified United 1K member and made my first upgrade request using GPU / Plus points, what are my chances of this clearing?

Route: ORD-SFO UA248
Date booked: 1/7
Date of travel 1/30
Booked Class: G
F seats: 17 of 24 in total available

What are my chances of this clearing and when might this clear? I would have paid for an F seat but had 20 plus points expiring end of this month and figured go this route.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am a newly qualified United 1K member and made my first upgrade request using GPU / Plus points, what are my chances of this clearing?

Route: ORD-SFO UA248
Date booked: 1/7
Date of travel 1/30
Booked Class: G
F seats: 17 of 24 in total available

What are my chances of this clearing and when might this clear? I would have paid for an F seat but had 20 plus points expiring end of this month and figured go this route.
Very low. You're flying on a Thursday evening between two major hubs.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
is their any way to check waitlist status online?

Originally Posted by findark
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by navatwal
is their any way to check waitlist status online?
Change the date on your mobile operating system and use the app.

It's early to say anything as most corporate paid F travel will book within 21 days of departure.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
I'd say they're zero on a G fare, especially in January. ORD-SFO is possibly the consistently toughest upgrade in the system.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sure of what? That anything under 24 hours is a connection, not a stopover, on an international itinerary? That the "PlusPoints" price to upgrade DEL-EWR-SFO is the same as DEL-EWR? And that you're making a mistake leaving the miles upgrade request in place? Yes on all three points.

UA not checking baggage overnight (per its published rules) has nothing to do with the rules applicable to upgrade pricing or clearance.
So I removed the mileage upgrade from LAX-EWR for me and my dad like you suggested and asked if they could extend the EWR-BOM plusPoints upgrade to our LAX-EWR flight since it's a domestic connection and 2 different agents said they were unable to since there was essentially a stopover in between (7:10 AM-8:05 PM) and so the system wouldn't let them pair the upgrade together. Furthermore, my friend said she'd be able to apply additional PlusPoints to waitlist to the LAX-EWR flight separately if it wasn't going to work, but now the UA website isn't allowing me to do anything to that LAX-EWR flight except a cash upgrade. Not allowing for mileage upgrade, not allowing for PlusPoints application. All 3 other flights EWR-BOM, and BOM-EWR-SFO are waitlisted on GS instruments at the moment. Anything else I can do to fix this issue? Thanks!

also: I was expecting a $100/person charge for removing the mileage upgrade but neither agent charged anything for me or my dad so was happy to see that at least.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Op-Up possible?

I'm on UA 181 (FRA-DEN) on Sunday 1/12. The seat map is *very* open, but the flight is showing:
J2 JN2 C2 D2 Z1 ZN1 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y2 YN2 B2 M2 E1 U0 H0 HN0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N2 XN0 X0

Am I just being optimistic in thinking that the flight may be *very* oversold in Y and that many open J seats are just there for day of departure op-ups ? The app is showing Economy as "Full" and 8 blocked J seats on the upgrade page...
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
I'm on UA 181 (FRA-DEN) on Sunday 1/12. The seat map is *very* open, but the flight is showing:
J2 JN2 C2 D2 Z1 ZN1 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y2 YN2 B2 M2 E1 U0 H0 HN0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N2 XN0 X0

Am I just being optimistic in thinking that the flight may be *very* oversold in Y and that many open J seats are just there for day of departure op-ups ? The app is showing Economy as "Full" and 8 blocked J seats on the upgrade page...
I'd say it's likely oversold by 8. How many names are on the upgrade list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.