Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 9, 19, 12:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 18, 5:37 am

R/RN inventory gone?

Is it just me? Or am I doing something wrong? Or did united pull R/RN inventory from the expert/advanced search mode? Would post a pic...but apparently I need more posts first.
Old Oct 21, 18, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tifosi29 View Post
Is it just me? Or am I doing something wrong? Or did united pull R/RN inventory from the expert/advanced search mode? Would post a pic...but apparently I need more posts first.
It seems United is now using PZ instead of R. Hopefully we will learn more soon. You are probably not doing anything wrong.
Old Oct 21, 18, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tifosi29 View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

Search again and look for the fare class PZ. Yesterday, UA changed their fare classes and R is replaced by PZ.
Old Oct 28, 18, 6:38 pm
Suspended

1K here....UA cleared all my flights this week at the 92 hour window…..TPA-ORD-BOS and back.....usually it has been inconsistent but lately I've haven't much issue..
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:02 am

Programs: MileagePlus
RPU on domestic non-stop

I am flying from LAS>IAD on a Thursday in early December. It's a mid afternoon flight, 737-8.

I'm flying on a V fare and I don't have status any longer. I am a MileagePlus card holder, though. A friend has some expiring RPUs he's added to the reservation, but they're showing "upgrade requested". No R or PZ seats available, and 8 of 16 seats are booked. What are the odds of an upgrade for 2 of us, both with RPU requests?

Any more info needed, please let me know!
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midnightrunner8 View Post
What are the odds of an upgrade for 2 of us, both with RPU requests?

Any more info needed, please let me know!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Your odds are about as good as they are of hitting a slot machine jackpot on the trip, Iím afraid. While youíll have priority over complimentary upgrades (except for Global Services), thereís a good chance nobody will be upgraded on that flight if theyíve already sold half the cabin. Then, throw in the fact that there are a lot of expiring certificates, and itís likely you wonít be the only one trying to upgrade. Finally, UA will sell upgrades to passengers at check-in, and itís a long enough flight that people will bite (especially if they did hit the aforementioned jackpot).

Your best bet is that a couple of people oversleep and miss their flight, leading to you getting upgraded when they no-show.

Good luck!
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Your odds are about as good as they are of hitting a slot machine jackpot on the trip, Iím afraid.
I was afraid of this, but I wanted to double-check. If we do somehow win the jackpot, I'll let you all know. And thanks for the welcome!
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by midnightrunner8 View Post
I was afraid of this, but I wanted to double-check. If we do somehow win the jackpot, I'll let you all know. And thanks for the welcome!
I'll actually hazard that your chances are OK, given current bookings for your flight. Generically, I find LAS-___ except for SFO is not horribly difficult. There are about ten or twelve premier flyers already booked, guessing from the seat map, and not all will have supported upgrade requests. That said, it's too far away to say anything confident. About two weeks you may get a much clearer idea.

And welcome from me as well!
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I'll actually hazard that your chances are OK, given current bookings for your flight. Generically, I find LAS-___ except for SFO is not horribly difficult. There are about ten or twelve premier flyers already booked, guessing from the seat map, and not all will have supported upgrade requests. That said, it's too far away to say anything confident. About two weeks you may get a much clearer idea.

And welcome from me as well!
Hey, thanks for your thoughts and the welcome! I might check back in with you all around Thanksgiving time to see if you have new thoughts based on booking. I hope to be able to learn from the community, too!
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I'll actually hazard that your chances are OK, given current bookings for your flight. Generically, I find LAS-___ except for SFO is not horribly difficult. There are about ten or twelve premier flyers already booked, guessing from the seat map, and not all will have supported upgrade requests.
The other potential positive is that UA's front cabin pricing has gotten kind of crazy expensive lately, which may leave seats available for upgrade.
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The other potential positive is that UA's front cabin pricing has gotten kind of crazy expensive lately, which may leave seats available for upgrade.
Yeah, I was considering that but don't feel sure yet that it will stick. Let's see what it looks like after the next weekend update fiesta.

(Meanwhile, one of my upcoming flights went J4 .. C4 to J1 .. C0 over this last weekend, so maybe they're getting it right. )
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:56 pm

I did pay for an upgrade on the way out, because it was actually incredibly reasonable. The way back was insane, and a friend offered the RPU. We'll see!
Old Oct 29, 18, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Have to book last minute DFW-VIE flight for no-status family member for November 21 (day before Thanksgiving). United shows saver economy but no saver business, so I plan to book economy and waitlist for I.

Longhaul segment options are as follows. Any guess as to which of these has the highest chance of giving him the waitlisted upgrade?

IAD-ZRH (seat map shows 26/39 open as of today)
IAD-FRA (33/48 open)
IAH-AMS (26/50 open)
Old Oct 29, 18, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by shutter41 View Post
Any guess as to which of these has the highest chance of giving him the waitlisted upgrade?

IAD-ZRH (seat map shows 26/39 open as of today)
IAD-FRA (33/48 open)
IAH-AMS (26/50 open)
IAH-AMS, not just because it has the lowest percentage booked, but because AMS is not a *A hub and thus less demand for connecting traffic.
Old Oct 29, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
IAH-AMS, not just because it has the lowest percentage booked, but because AMS is not a *A hub and thus less demand for connecting traffic.
Those were actually numbers of seats open rather than booked (according to seat map), so IAH-AMS is actually the lowest fraction open (only 52% open vs 66% open ZRH and 68% open FRA). Would you still go for IAH-AMS based on the *A hub difference?

Search this Thread