Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Good to know! One less thing to worry about on my international long hauls.
Well I think the concern here is that they may have changed that policy.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well I think the concern here is that they may have changed that policy.
So, back to worrying.....
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
Interesting.. so this sounds like it confirms our suspicion that they are now willing to overbook J by 1 based on predictive loads.
Indeed. The SFO-SYD on Friday night, for instance, is showing booked full (48/48), and one seat is still available for anyone willing to pay $7500 for it. I guess they are willing to offer up someone several thousand $$ in UA funny munny to take a seat in the back or go on another airline.

Looks like upgrading anytime this week is likely a no-go on any SYD flight... and most TPAC are not looking good either.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
flying on Wednesday! trying to stay positive! So does early check in online assist with upgrade or hinder?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milehighmel
flying on Wednesday! trying to stay positive! So does early check in online assist with upgrade or hinder?
Time of check in is the final tiebreaker on the visible upgrade list (used at the gate). So, it helps, if marginally so.

You'll be hoping for misconnects. Tomorrow's IAH flight is J0Y2 (full up front, nearly full in back). SFO is J1Y6; LAX is J2Y4.

Last edited by jsloan; Oct 16, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
IAH-SYD is now showing full: 48/48. SFO-SYD is 44/48. As I suggested above do not change to that flight unless you see R=2 (I think you said you had booked two seats) as if you get put on the upgrade waiting list you have a low priority. There will be GS, 1K and Platinum ahead of you. Also, most probably your fare class will be lower in the ranking (maybe that assumption is wrong as sometimes United only offers me W or Q fare class) as passengers applying GPUs have to book at least a W fare class.
Can you help clarify the UA PQD required as well? I qualify for my PQD as I have a MP Explorer Visa which has me more than well qualified every year for PQD. So, as far as upgrades, do they consider those Explorer QD too? or JUST the PQD spent on flights?

Originally Posted by jsloan
Time of check in is the final tiebreaker on the visible upgrade list (used at the gate). So, it helps, if marginally so.

You'll be hoping for misconnects. Tomorrow's IAH flight is J0Y2 (full up front, nearly full in back). SFO is J1Y6; LAX is J2Y4.
Thanks for the tip! Checking in now!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 2018 at 7:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you help clarify the UA PQD required as well? I qualify for my PQD as I have a MP Explorer Visa which has me more than well qualified every year for PQD. So, as far as upgrades, do they consider those Explorer QD too? or JUST the PQD spent on flights?
Neither. PQD are not considered for upgrade priority. The priority order is:

1 - status
2 - fare class
3 - United Club credit card holders (Not the Explorer card; the other, more expensive one)*
4 - UA's corporate preferred partners*
5 - time of check-in

* it's not clear if these actually apply at the gate or not

They've announced that they will also be adding in "spent $25K on your Explorer card" as a qualifying category somewhere in the list.

However, none of this is likely to matter tomorrow. There's a good chance that no upgrades will be given out at the gate for any of those three flights. If any are, there's a high likelihood they'd go to GSes or 1Ks.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:17 pm

Neither. PQD are not considered for upgrade priority. The priority order is:

1 - status
2 - fare class
3 - United Club credit card holders (Not the Explorer card; the other, more expensive one)*
4 - UA's corporate preferred partners*
5 - time of check-in

* it's not clear if these actually apply at the gate or not

They've announced that they will also be adding in "spent $25K on your Explorer card" as a qualifying category somewhere in the list.

However, none of this is likely to matter tomorrow. There's a good chance that no upgrades will be given out at the gate for any of those three flights. If any are, there's a high likelihood they'd go to GSes or 1Ks.
Thanks! fingers crossed, I am not giving up hope until I am actually on the plane in E+.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! fingers crossed, I am not giving up hope until I am actually on the plane in E+.
Well, if you're going that far, don't give up until the boarding door is closed, because if they have a no-show, they will come on and upgrade people prior to departure.

Having said that, I don't see anyone on the upgrade standby list for tomorrow's IAH-SYD flight. If you've checked in, and you're not on the list, you should call UA to make sure your upgrade request is actually present on your record.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Well, if you're going that far, don't give up until the boarding door is closed, because if they have a no-show, they will come on and upgrade people prior to departure.

Having said that, I don't see anyone on the upgrade standby list for tomorrow's IAH-SYD flight. If you've checked in, and you're not on the list, you should call UA to make sure your upgrade request is actually present on your record.
OK, Checked in now, still have to go to counter for boarding pass though. Fingers crossed! Are we on the upgrade list at least?

Last edited by milehighmel; Oct 16, 2018 at 3:52 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, Checked in now, still have to go to counter for boarding pass though. Fingers crossed! Are we on the upgrade list at least?
There now appear to be two people on the upgrade list: MOR, K and ROB, M.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mczub
UA Silver here, put in a waitlist request for SFO-HND on 10/19, showing J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P7 PN3 R0 RN0 as of 12:30PM on 10/15 with 39/48 booked.

Feels like it might be around a 50/50 shot of clearing, does that seem correct?
Just an update on this, I cleared into R space at around T-36!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:03 am

nice! I’m on same flight. First time that’s happened.

i cleared through yesterday, but had issues initially with that stupid “R class requested” (as opposed to “upgrade requested”) situation. looks like R still available, lucky us.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Lucky!

Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:15 am

Just put in for two miles + copay upgrades on DEN-LHR on 4/4 and ended up on the waitlist.

It was showing availability of 9 last week and I'm bummed I missed out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.